Just purchased a Kemper / Profiler Remote..... Not thrilled about it so far.

• Update: I've finally put together the first performance patch and managed to get some good tones for the slots I needed.

I'm still having an issue with rig manager and the kemper communicating. It seems that after I listen to about 5 or so previews of different profiles in the rig manager, the kemper freezes up on that last profile and I can't do anything else until I turn off and on the kemper / unplug the usb from my computer. Anyone else had this problem? If it persists, I will contact support.

Hey Mike

I had this effect several times, when my MacBook Pro went to „sleep“ (energy saving mode). Now I turn this mode off, before using the RM. Since then I never had such an issue.

Maybe you could check this?

Dirk

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Manson DR1 Matthew Bellamy Signature Guitar, Music Man Axis Sport, Fender Nashville Deluxe Tele, Fender 52 American Vintage Reissue Tele 2011, Fender 69 American Vintage Reissue Thinline Tele 2011, Gibson 2015 Les Paul Special doublecut, Epiphone Wilshire Phant-o-matic Frank Iero Signature.

• A guy posts that he's unhappy with the product.

On every Internet forum I've seen (regardless of topic), he would be treated to a barrage of snarky comments telling him why he's wrong for feeling that way.

On the Kemper forum, he's greeted by a host of friendly people offering helpful ideas and trying to make things better for him. And this is a normal, everyday occurrence here.

You guys do realize that you're an oddity in the animal kingdom, right? :)

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

• Same thing happens over in the "I heard a rumor" thread. Not that long ago, several - specific- members of the Atomic forum were quite hostile. A few even got banned from the forum - because it had been a while since a firmware update. Folks here are awesome. Civil and encouraging.

I'm hoping OP ends up loving his Kemper.

KPA Unpowered Rack, Kemper Remote, Headrush FRFR108s, BC Rich Mockingbird(s), and a nasty attitude.

• Play with the Definition control in the Amp Module.

This is the first thing I try on almost every profile.

Will try, thanks :)

Hey Mike

I had this effect several times, when my MacBook Pro went to „sleep“ (energy saving mode). Now I turn this mode off, before using the RM. Since then I never had such an issue.

Maybe you could check this?

Dirk

I have a feeling it might be a faulty usb cable, but the Kemper just froze up on me again when I inserted the usb stick to import some new profiles. I'll give it some more time before I contact support.

I expected to be bombarded with hate comments from at least some people but I've been pleasantly surprised.

A classy product begets a classy user base. :saint:

Indeed :thumbup:

Same thing happens over in the "I heard a rumor" thread. Not that long ago, several - specific- members of the Atomic forum were quite hostile. A few even got banned from the forum - because it had been a while since a firmware update. Folks here are awesome. Civil and encouraging.

I'm hoping OP ends up loving his Kemper.

I'm getting there, becoming a little more impressed with it as time goes on. I still have to play this thing through some FRFR monitors which will happen later today though. Just made the 2nd performance patch. :thumbup:

• Hi Mike,

For the Rig Manager, I had the same Issue as long as I was using Win 7, since I changed to Win 10, no more problems...

Don´t know if the Win version was the problem by itself, maybe some people here use Win 7 with success (please dime in...), but in the end (:S) the Kemper was the best thing I ever bought and I wouldn`t miss it anymore. Don`t give up, it´s worth to make the learning curve...

• maybe some people here use Win 7 with success (please dime in...),

I'm running Win 7 and haven't had any lockup problems. That said, I did have a related problem that might offer a possibility.

In my environment, if I shut down the Kemper before exiting Rig Manager, it would crash with an exception. I make a living as a Microsoft technologies developer, so I traced down the exception. It led me to believe that I had an older version of a system dll that was later patched. I keep automatic updates off until I'm ready to deal with it, so that wasn't a surprising scenario. Over the weekend I got it current with all patches. I forgot to test the RM problem but I'm willing to bet it's fixed.

The upshot of this is that if user A is crashing and user B isn't, and they're both running the same OS version, updates are at least one possible difference between the two, so @MikeSybrid, you might consider getting whatever OS you're running current on patches when time allows to see if that makes a difference. I read that you'd already updated the Kemper OS, so that would be the next thing I'd check.

I still have to play this thing through some FRFR monitors which will happen later today though.

I started out running my powered head through a Marshall 1960a 4x12 with V30s, cab simulation off. For the style of stuff I play (classic rock, e.g. Whitesnake, etc.) it sounded pretty good. However, when in the studio going through the reference monitors, it sounded really good - there was a lot more detail and high end articulation in the Friedman profiles, etc. So, I then purchased a Yamaha DXR-10, running from the unpowered mains. That got all the detail back and it sounds great.

I'm really happy with the Kemper, the speaker and the profiles I have (bought some packs from some of the well respected guys here). That said, particularly when moving to the Yamaha FRFR, I find there's some adjustment to be made in expectations. It's not exactly the same as running my Marshall through the 4x12. I find the differences mostly beneficial, but there are subtle differences nonetheless.

Ultimately you just have to season to taste and make a determination of whether or not this path "is for you." Nonetheless, as others have mentioned, while I find it all to be fairly intuitive, there's a lot of horsepower here and some stuff to learn. I hope you're able to give it enough time to give you a solid feel for the wheel before making the call one way or the other.

And as I joked earlier, there's just a shocking lack of the typical Internet negativity on this forum. It's a really nice bunch of folks and they go out of their way to help anyone who's struggling. I think you'll enjoy it here.

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

• Does the Kemper ever lock up on its own (without a connection to the computer)?

It would be intresting to know if you hooked the KPA up to another computer running Rig Manager, and see if it acted the same.

If you use FRFR the benefit of a merged profile is that the cabinet is totally separated in the profile.

For my edification only... ;) Kemper/Axe-FX III/ Quad Cortex user

• So far, i didn't have any troubles with the kemper or the remote when rig manager is on. Occasionally, rig manager seems to loose the connection to the profiler - so i have to restart the rig manager.

The KPA is a genius piece of gear - that can't be said from the rig manager. Mr. CKemper should really hire a seasoned company with some UX skills to get a replacement of this software.

once a purist, then analog pragmatic and finally a digital believer who found out that you can't hear a mosquito fart in a band-context.

• Biggest piece of advice I took and will give is to give it time. This thing has a huge learning curve especially for someone like me that's very much a beginner with all of this. The more I tinker the more I learn and figure out to help make my own sound I've always wanted and then some! I've only had it for a month and I find new things every time I sit and practice. Just reading these comments I learned about the definition setting in the amp section! Hope you figure the rig exchange out. I would've suggested the updates but it seems you've done that. Welcome to the Kemper world!

• I highly recommend checking out Tone Junkie TV on YouTube. He has several phenomenal videos on there that describe many of the configurations that everyone has mentioned (when, where and how to use them).

On top of that, he has pulled out some of the best tones I've ever heard on a Kemper. His Mesa, Orange, and recent Plexi profiles might be right up your alley. He has videos of every profile pack and the tones he's been able to get. Check 'em out.

• Advice for OP:

Profile an amp yourself and AB with the real amp (mic'd signal, of course) and see what the profiler is truly capable of. Once you experience that, you can move on to profiles created by other people.

• Welcome to the forum.

There is an unofficial MIDI editor availble called Toastme. I use it with Rig Manger open without any problem (PC user here).

It helps in the learning phase to take confidence with the KPA and helps you to create/mod/refine your rigs( even though I do not find the KPA interface so bad..).

It is worth a try.

Be sure to use FRFR monitors for the best sonic experience ;)

My 2 cents.

• Hey Chris, I'm currently running the latest version of the rig manager with the latest update from kemper on macOS high sierra. I still have yet to plug the kemper in with a new usb instead of the older one I was using ( which we thought was the problem in previous posts ). I think that might be the contributing factor. If it doesnt stop, I'll contact support but so far, I've been pretty busy with the kemper on its own in rehearsal without that issue. :thumbup:

Hi Mike,

For the Rig Manager, I had the same Issue as long as I was using Win 7, since I changed to Win 10, no more problems...

Don´t know if the Win version was the problem by itself, maybe some people here use Win 7 with success (please dime in...), but in the end (:S) the Kemper was the best thing I ever bought and I wouldn`t miss it anymore. Don`t give up, it´s worth to make the learning curve...

The kemper keeps getting better as the days go on.:thumbup:

Does the Kemper ever lock up on its own (without a connection to the computer)?

It would be intresting to know if you hooked the KPA up to another computer running Rig Manager, and see if it acted the same.

It did lock up on its own once without being connected, I cant seem to remember what I did to cause that to happen though.

So far, i didn't have any troubles with the kemper or the remote when rig manager is on. Occasionally, rig manager seems to loose the connection to the profiler - so i have to restart the rig manager.

The KPA is a genius piece of gear - that can't be said from the rig manager. Mr. CKemper should really hire a seasoned company with some UX skills to get a replacement of this software.

Agree, I hope something is introduced at NAMM this year. I'll def be heading over to Kemper booth to see what the latest is.

Biggest piece of advice I took and will give is to give it time. This thing has a huge learning curve especially for someone like me that's very much a beginner with all of this. The more I tinker the more I learn and figure out to help make my own sound I've always wanted and then some! I've only had it for a month and I find new things every time I sit and practice. Just reading these comments I learned about the definition setting in the amp section! Hope you figure the rig exchange out. I would've suggested the updates but it seems you've done that. Welcome to the Kemper world!

I'm coming from axe fx and other high end high gain amps and this Kemper is a beast of it's own. It really is on another level, just comes down to having the patience to learn it.

I highly recommend checking out Tone Junkie TV on YouTube. He has several phenomenal videos on there that describe many of the configurations that everyone has mentioned (when, where and how to use them).

On top of that, he has pulled out some of the best tones I've ever heard on a Kemper. His Mesa, Orange, and recent Plexi profiles might be right up your alley. He has videos of every profile pack and the tones he's been able to get. Check 'em out.

Will check, thanks :thumbup:

Advice for OP:

Profile an amp yourself and AB with the real amp (mic'd signal, of course) and see what the profiler is truly capable of. Once you experience that, you can move on to profiles created by other people.

This is something I will do for sure. Gonna start with profiling a 5153, jp2c and dual rec. :thumbup:

Using FRFR monitors as we speak, sounds much better. :thumbup:

• Hi,

I've also had the Kemper lock up reading or formatting a USB stick. A Power cycle does fix it for me. As for Rig Manager issues, I haven't had any but I'm sure it exists.

I don't know your amp tastes but my current favorites are Live Ready https://livereadysound.com/ specifically the '79 2204, and Nick K's https://nickkprofiles.bigcartel.com/ JMP.

It took me awhile to adjust to having to buy 3rd party profiles but that is the nature of the beast . There's incredible amps on the Rig Exchange like Feck's 3Monkeys Orangutan but it has grown so large with no curation that it would take days or weeks to go through. After an hour searching my ears are tired and I don't want to play.

I hope you can find some inspiring sounds like I have, though I understand it's a pretty huge search with Kemper. It is far from plug n' play to really get /that/ sound in your head. Once you do it's entirely worth it!

p.s. the lack of an official editor over USB REALLY sucks! Almost a no go return for me when I first got it but the sounds are so good.