Does the kemper have an output knob that can change the watts?

• Hello, my band is performing at a show and we can't perform with the kemper unless it has an output of 40 watts? I'm not sure what that means but can you please help me and tell me how I can get that or else I can't perform with the kemper. Thanks

• What Impedance is the Cabinet you will use with your KPA?

(If my math is wrong, I’m sure someone will let us know)

If it is an 8 ohm cabinet, the KPA is capable of 600 watts.

If it is a 16 ohm cabinet, the KPA is capable of 300 watts.

In other words, Tell them it is just a solidstate amp, and don’t play too loud ;)

• The KPA powerhead has no power soak.

Keep in mind, that the amp is not a tube amp. (As paults stated before)

There exist other amps to build in the KPA (ritter) with lower power.

Yor have to take care not to overload your box.

• Back in ancient times, I used to do country club gigs (I really needed the money). Occasionally, as we were wheeling in the PA speakers, some blue nose would get twitchy and start fussing at us about not being a venue for loud music.

The leader of the band, ever the diplomat, explained that our PA system was very advanced, and the volume knob went all the way to zero. :)

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

• So this 40W thing, are they concerned about sound pressure and deafness of the crowd, or blowing a fuse on their main panel?

Very good question above from mollydyer , if it is a non-powered Kemper, max power in is 27W (manual page 243). Naturally you need to amplify that signal more but if someone is worried about 40W, it is less than that :)

If it is powered, the Rig Volume (or the Master volume, depending on configuration) is your indirect wattage button ;)

The leader of the band, ever the diplomat, explained that our PA system was very advanced, and the volume knob went all the way to zero.

Well, as long as your amp could go to 11, you were all set as a guitar player. ^^

• I’ve been told some venues have a wattage limit, in an attempt to avoid the onstage excesses of old school tube amp stage volume. A 40 watts limit rules out all those 50 and 100 watt monsters that sound better at a higher than practical volume.

Tell them you use a solid state amp that sounds great at a reasonable volume, not a “big and loud tube amp”. And, don’t walk in with a 4x12 cabinet :)

• Ever tried a Fender Blues Deluxe or Matchless Chieftain? Both are 40 watts but if you crank them to the max, bleeding ears are guaranteed. So it’s totally BS if a venue tells you to limit your output to 40 watts.

And yes, the Kemper has a built in W.A.D. (Wattage Adjusting Device): you can find it on the front panel, it’s a round knob that says “Master Volume”.

• I know this has been a year, but were you perchance playing at NAMM? I'm playing there next month, and they have this same arbitrary 40W restriction.

It only makes sense if it's for available power on-stage and they don't wanna overload their circuit, otherwise it's to try restrict volume making it nonsensical as I could stroll in with a 40W head and a 4x12 and be extremely loud.

• I assume this is not directly related to the output power of the internal power amp, but to the overall power consumption.

A 600 Watt power amp doesn't constantly deliver nor consume 600 Watt. The way to limit its power is turning volume down. You can check the current Wattage the power amp is delivering with the Wattage Meter you find on the last page of the Output Section since OS 7.0. The scale of this Wattage Meter is calibrated to 4 Ohm. If your cabinet has 8 Ohm, you can divide the displayed Wattage by factor 2. At 16 Ohm, devide by factor 4. You might find out, that you rarely exceed 15 Watt.

But again those 40 Watt are probably power consumption. Even a device without built-in power amp e. g. PROFIELR Stage will consume power.

• I can understand a club owner who really doesn't understand amplifiers well instituting an arbitrary wattage limit but I would expect more out of the folks at NAMM being that it is the premier musical instrument trade show in the world. A local outdoor concert venue here in Atlanta is located in a residential area and has both a curfew and a sound pressure limit. That seems much more logical. Not much difference between a 40 watt amp and a 50 watt amp but 100 decibels is always 100 decibels.