my first commercial track released - First encounter on the dark side of the moon

• Hi, I've just finished what I consider to be my best mix so far, and just made it available for sale on bandcamp , with Hi res quality ( Flac ...).

First encounter on the dark side of the moon

This one is my most complete track with 18 lanes and maybe 10 to 12 hours of intensive but highly interesting work. The recording itself only took 2 to 3 hours, but the mix was waaaay longer. I spent many hours editing & refining my track after spending part of my holidays learning and optimizing my workflow on reaper & waves VSTs.

Drums are programmed , but I played every other parts on the following gear :

• Streichfett on Universal Audio tube preamp profile and tape delays ( factory KPA presets).
    • Semi hollow P90 on Vox AC15 profile
    • Stratocaster SC on Vox AC15 ,Freq Out, fuzz, tape delay, ebow, wah ... The resulting throaty tones are my best so far on this strat.
    • Hofner Bass on SWR bass amp profile, with a really smoooth & very satisfying tone. I really dig my bass tone here, especially on the 'solo part' ... flat wound strings & Waves post EQ & comp :)

The mix is especially clear & dynamic , not that much compression to respect the original dynamics & tone of my instruments.

If this test track is a success , it will open the road for my first EP on Distro Kid or other similar platform.

I hope you enjoy it , don't hesitate to critic my work here, I still want to improve.

R

• Love it, keep going!

My favorite parts are the bassline (naturally) and also the synth-like texture on some of the guitar tracks, very nice!

Could you please link the bass profile?

• You have a cool thing going, stay with it!

Thx Mud, I was sure you'd love the breaks on this one ;)

My favorite parts are the bassline (naturally) and also the synth-like texture on some of the guitar tracks, very nice!

Thx , love the bass tone, but I think the flatwound strings, glissandos , post EQ & comp do the major part of the tone. You'd be surprised by the dry recorded tone, quite flat IMO. It's a free profile SWR from this thread ( studio profile).

The UA profile on the waldorf is probably part of the RU SIRIUS private ( and free) collection , I've to check that later. Gives a nice direct to desk tone.

The guitar textures in ten easy steps : Strat to N21 color fuzz pedal, then freq out > KPA : AC15 profile , wah , vintage chorus , WRML ( univibe sim) , tape delay ( factory preset ) , hall verb , then DAW : post EQ ( waves 4 EQ) and V-comp, and a bit of stereo imaging . Quite processed ;)

I must say the strat sounds way better with the freq out than my other guitars, especially on low threshold & gain settings, it allow some superb feedback or long hold notes with help of the vibrato bar, pretty unique tone and much more subtle than on my P90 guitar. This kind of track appeals a strat in a mandatory way :)

• Sounds nice, congrats!

Just a detail I noticed: seems to me like some detail-editing might be good in a few parts, let me explain: for example, around 0:31-0:32 I can hear there's some kind of hard 'cut', like you didn't crossfade two parts of some track / tracks (could it be the drums?); I reckon there's a couple more parts of the song where I noticed the same... Maybe this is intended but it sounds to me like it's not.

Other than that, the vibe is great and sound-wise seems to be well balanced (only heard this thru my cheap earbuds at work...)

Cheers, hope I can help out!

• I can hear there's some kind of hard 'cut',

Yes , I tried to manage this but the crossfade did remove all the attack, so I went back to rough version ... I'm not a keyboard player, and I'll do better next time ;)

Other than that, the vibe is great and sound-wise seems to be well balanced (only heard this thru my cheap earbuds at work...)

Thanks, that nice to hear , as I can't stand these little piece of headphones , so ... much thanks for the feedback as I took great care of the dynamics , stereo image , and clarity of all tones.