New update - Version 2.1.61 (13692)

• Hi guys,

In case you haven't seen this yet, cheers.

About Rig Manager 2.1

Features and changes in this version (2.1.61):

- Improvements to USB link

- Improved error logging

Features and changes in this version (2.1.41):

- New drivers for macOS and Windows

- Fixed: Cabinet editable after copying Direct Amp profiles

- Fixed: Favorites gone after restoring backup and restarting Rig Manager

- Fixed: Occasional failure on updating Profiler Software (macOS only)

- Fixed: Crash when disconnecting Profiler during Software Update

- Fixed: Installer launching Rig Manager even when Reboot was required (Windows)

- Changed: Search text cleared when switching between Rigs and Performances

Features and changes in this version (2.1.26):

- Fixed: Installation failed on certain Windows systems

- Fixed: Wrong order of folders in macOS 10.13

- Fixed: Occasional crash when restoring backup (Windows only)

- Added: Instrument type "Acoustic"

Features and changes in this version (2.1.19):

- Added: Number of displayed Rigs and Performances now include subfolders

Features and changes in this version (2.1.18):

- Fixed: wrong author name when creating new performance

- Fixed: sync indicator shown forever after sorting rig list (Windows only)

- Fixed: wrong Tempo Enable display when selecting multiple performances (Windows only)

- Improved: handling of blocked Profiler communication (macOS 10.13 High Sierra only)

- Improved: error handling in automatic software update

Features and changes in this version (2.1.14):

- Fixed: reordering Performance slots not working (macOS only)

- Improved: Profiler communication error handling

Features and changes in this version (2.1.12):

- Fixed: Profiler not recognized (Windows only)

Features and changes in this version (2.1.11):

- Added: online updates for Rig Packs

- Added: online updates for documentation

- Added: Rig Exchange rating via menu

- Added: Spinning wheel to visualize lengthy operations

- Fixed: occasional crash immediately after launch (Windows only)

- Fixed: wrong search results in Profiler Performances

- Fixed: Drag & Drop of Performances to Profiler not working (Windows only)

- Fixed: crash when quitting app immediately after launch

- Fixed: some performance slot issues

- Fixed: wrong search results in "All Rigs"

- Fixed: favorite status change in Profiler was not reflected in Rig Manager

- Fixed: crash when rapidly changing previewed Rig (macOS only)

- Fixed: wrong number of selected Rigs displayed in status bar

- Fixed: updater message showing up while update is already in progress

- Fixed: favorite and rating could get lost when copying rigs

- Fixed: updated rigs in RX not synced with Rig Manager

- Fixed: Performance tempo enable inverted between Profiler and Rig Manager (macOS only)

- Fixed: RX login not working if password contained special characters

System requirements:

Mac OS X:

- Mac OS X version 10.9.5 or higher for Intel based Macs

- Internet access to enable all features

Windows:

- Windows 7 or higher

- Internet access to enable all features

Resources:

Further documentation can be found here:

macOS:

/Library/Documentation/Kemper Amps

Windows:

Use the Kemper Amps entry in Start Menu

Music is Key.

• Ahh... thanks mate.

I don't do app updates the "modern" way; call me old-school, but I like to download and store installation files manually. ;)

Hopefully it'll appear in the downloads area very-soon... :/

I usually do the same here ha!

It should be there soon.

Music is Key.

• I don't update any of my software including OS this way, G String; it's a philosophy I've always followed for many reasons, and making exceptions to my rule will complicate future fresh-OS installations (which I'm always-prepared for), so to say I'm keen to avoid it would be an understatement. I really appreciate the advice 'though; thank you!

Any reason why I can't just wait for the download to be available as I have always done? Are you guys not going to add it to the downloads area for some reason? I thought this M.O. only applied to betas. :/

• I don't update any of my software including OS this way, G String

Trying to clarify a bit ...

You don't have to switch on automatic update check in Rig Manager. You can manually check for update availability and then download the update. You can even cancel the update process but still have the downloaded updater ... pretty much same like if you had downloaded it from the website.

• I'm on Windows but it should be very similar on Mac.

If I hit "Install Update" on the screen you've posted, the Rig Manager will download to your download folder.

When the download is finished, the updater will be started automatically and check the system for compatibility and then I get a screen where I need to confirm that I allow the updater software to make changes to my system. If you just cancel at this point, you will still have the downloaded update installer in your download folder and can use it whenever you like.

• please update rig manager using the internal update function.

It may well be that you're still intending to post the update links to the website, and the RM update feature is only for those who want it as quickly as possible. That said, the following comments are in case you guys are considering moving to RM updates only.

I don't update any of my software including OS this way, G String; it's a philosophy I've always followed for many reasons, and making exceptions to my rule will complicate future fresh-OS installations (which I'm always-prepared for), so to say I'm keen to avoid it would be an understatement.

I heartily agree with Nicky, as I follow the same practice. I have collection of my OS and all programs that I use. For the programs, it's the version that I'm currently using - which may intentionally not be the most recent version. If I need to reinstall, it's important that I know I can do so with the versions that have proven reliable.

The problem with the "Hey, just let the app manage downloading the updates" philosophy is that it's most recent version. I don't trust manufacturers (and with respect, not even the good folks at Kemper) to make that decision for me.

An excellent case in point is, as of this writing, Apple's release of iOS 12.1.2, which immediately broke wireless connectivity and caused significant problems. Using your iPhone for updates? Good luck getting it to give you an older version. It doesn't work that way. If you have installed 12.1.2, and you've passed the 7 or so days to roll back, you're just screwed until the next update comes out. What if this was a desktop OS, or a critical app? If you have to reinstall the world, and you can only get the latest one from this method, you're out of luck.

If you just cancel at this point, you will still have the downloaded update installer in your download folder and can use it whenever you like.

I have no doubt that what you're saying works - today. However, a) this is exceedingly clumsy when it doesn't need to be, and b) if I just "trust the app" there's no guarantee that this is how it will work in the future. If that seems a bit paranoid, it is. When dealing with technology, paranoia is your friend. :)

I think offering updates, and even automatic updates (if the user can disable them) from the app is an excellent feature. But I feel very strongly that it shouldn't be the only way to get updates.

If your're considering making it RM updates only, I encourage you to continue the practice of making all updates available as a download link from the website so that we can archive the last good working version in our environment without having to jump through hoops.

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

• Chris Duncan

While I do understand the reasoning behind your and Nicky's wish, I also understand Kemper mothership. Maybe Kemper has good reason to regard firmware and Rig Manager more like one unit. Not every firmware works with every Rig Manager version and vice versa. I can only imagine how often these kind of mismatches happen and take precious time of the support team.

That's the reason I don't mind the built-in updater functionality ... as long as the downloaded updates (firmware and RM) are stored in the download folder and can be archived from there.

• we've always had a base version on the website and on occasions Rig Manager updates itself to a newer version. And we always update the version on the website a little later. I really don't know what the fuss is about. as some stated, Rig Manager and Profiler OS versions can't be mixed freely. This is the main reason why we've made an update through Rig Manager available in the first place. If you don't like it, don't us it. Nobody is forcing anybody to do anything here.

and if you don't trust us (or technology), then don't - no hard feelings. but don't complain about a feature which is sorely intended to make the life of others more convenient. it is your choice to use it or not.

Get in touch with Profiler online support team here