New kemper user in need of assistance

• for some odd reason the non merged profiles sound amazing when I turn the cabinet off

If you are running a regular cab through power amp, you won't be hearing any cab at all. The cab button on the KPA front has no influence on mointor if the cab is turned off. As standard setting, as i recall, the monitor has cab turned off. There is another discussion going on in the forum about the process of merged, direct or studio profiles and whether or not the algorithm in the Kemper can properly detect the cab portion of the signal.

However, i had the same situation. When i started a few weeks ago with the KPA, i found many profiles sound very similar but apparently that was due to the coloring of the cab i used (Marshall 2x12).

Something else you should bear in mind: if you create profiles you like through the cab, it is not guaranteed to work with the band context when running the KPA over the PA. I had to start over.

I run the KPA from main out direct to the FOH and have all the EQ set at 0. I then search good profiles to work with over the PA. Afterwards i turn up the monitor (my guitar cab) and set the output eq for the monitor in a way it also sounds good out of my cab. If i ever try to make a good sounding profile, as until now, i was more successful to create a PA compatible profile.

Hope this helps.

once a purist, then analog pragmatic and finally a digital believer who found out that you can't hear a mosquito fart in a band-context.

• Couple of things ( which may have been said), the KPA WILL work well with a regular cab. I assume you have the powered version and use a regular speaker cable out?

However:

Better to use DI or merged profiles if possible ( as mentioned).

Cabs in general smooth out the sound. You will hear a difference across the maps but the cab adds a colour - bigger than I originally thought. This means you get less variation than the KPA is capable of..

The Cab sound will be different tot he FOH sound and can mask duff profiles. If you want to go direct into a PA ( without miking the cab - defo recommend, its one of the real strengths) check the profiles through an FRFR cab/monitor first.

The sounds are there, it will operate like a regular amp, FRFR is not the only way but defo try to go direct FOH - that was the step change for me..

Also agree you don't need to spend loads on profiles, there are so many good ones about but it can be daunting finding them..

Oh, and welcome ;)

• You will hear a difference across the maps but the cab adds a colour - bigger than I originally thought. This means you get less variation than the KPA is capable of..

You mean, "... you're not going to hear that much variation, at least, nowhere near what you'd hear through an FRFR cab, studio monitors or headphones with the Kemper Cab block on", V8? I could swear I heard this somewhere recently. :/

• You mean, "... you're not going to hear that much variation, at least, nowhere near what you'd hear through an FRFR cab, studio monitors or headphones with the Kemper Cab block on", V8? I could swear I heard this somewhere recently. :/

You are so much more eloquent than me Nicky...Yes :)...plus just seen my typo's, surprised anyone could understand it!!

• You mean, "... you're not going to hear that much variation, at least, nowhere near what you'd hear through an FRFR cab, studio monitors or headphones with the Kemper Cab block on", V8? I could swear I heard this somewhere recently. :/

This relates to a tube amp situation as well. The choice of cabinets often add more character to the sound than the amplifiers.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

Edited once, last by karlic ().

• Indeed, Karl.

You are so much more eloquent than me Nicky...Yes :)...plus just seen my typo's, surprised anyone could understand it!!

LOL I think you might've missed that I was quoting myself from the first response in the thread, V8:

Post #2

We were saying the same thing, hence my comment, "I could swear I heard this somewhere recently. :/".

Nothing wrong with your "eloquence", BTW, and of course we all understood exactly what you meant, man! ;)<3

• Like the OP, I am also new to the Kemper world. The big thing that enlightened me after purchasing my Power Rack, was how much better it sound direct out to the PA versus any type of guitar cab. This bugged the heck out of me so I pursued designing and building my own FRFR. I’ve finally settle on a guitar cab like solution that utilizes Eminence speakers and a DSP that allowed me to create a very flat response. Definitely took some time, to include trial and error, but in the end I have an FRFR setup that accurately leverages the multitude of profiles available to us. The cabinet design and speakers chosen definitely impact the accuracy of a profile’s aural reproduction. I posted to the Celestion F12-X200 thread with my experience and what it took to get an FRFR. Not simple, but IMO worth every bit of effort now that I have it in play.

Celestion F12-X200 (FRFR Driver) Released