Record SPDIF to iOS.

• Hi, it's crazy.

I want to record directly SPDIF OUT to an iOS device.

It's possible ? What gear we need ? What app ? Someone has been try yet ?

Regards all, kemperians ;)

• My Kemper is setup to record into my UAD Apollo via SPDIF. I love it, it frees up a little extra IO and I really do hear the difference, sounds cleaner. Just make sure to match the sample rate of the Kemper's SPDIF out with the sample rate of your session/interface and you should be golden!

- DF

• My Kemper is setup to record into my UAD Apollo via SPDIF. I love it, it frees up a little extra IO and I really do hear the difference, sounds cleaner. Just make sure to match the sample rate of the Kemper's SPDIF out with the sample rate of your session/interface and you should be golden!

thank u 8) I look to acquire 6i6... it's must in my strings (familiar "capabilities" in french), u know ;)

• Bear in mind the Focusrite 6i6 (and probably the rest of the Scarlett range) cannot be configured using iOS, you will have to do that on a PC or Mac. Out of the box, the 6i6 won’t work with the Kemper using SPDIF because the interface will be set to be the SPDIF master whereas the Kemper needs to be the Master. Once you’ve changed that option (set Sync Source to SPDIF or external) in the Focusrite Control software (PC/Mac) then it will work from then on. BUT be warned that with the interface set to sync SPDIF to an external device, it will not pass any analog audio through unless the external SPDIF device is connected and on. This means you can’t use it as a stand-alone mixer without the Kemper being on!

ThIs bothered me enough that I don’t use the SPDIF now...

Just making sure you’re aware of this!

The idea is to record from Kemper output without computer.

Guitar (analog) -> G10 (N/A) -> KPA (N/A) -> SPDIF on iOS. I don't want another A/N conversion...

after, I want drop the file to a computer or not...

or reamp it another day (so with a Computer)

Main Ouput Stereo to monitors speakers.

After you change options, you can use it enought CPU ?

I see NI Komplete Audio 6 but need CPU.

• After you configure the interface on a computer, then yes, it will keep those settings. So if you set the SPDIF master to be “SPDIF” or “external” then it should work as you need when connected to an iOS device. I would recommend you get the current lightning-to-USB adapter for your device, one which will charge the iPad at the same time, eg the Lightning to USB 3 camera adapter (for devices with lightning...) so you can use the interface & charge at the same time.

Do you have suitable recording software on your iPad?

• After you configure the interface on a computer, then yes, it will keep those settings. So if you set the SPDIF master to be “SPDIF” or “external” then it should work as you need when connected to an iOS device. I would recommend you get the current lightning-to-USB adapter for your device, one which will charge the iPad at the same time, eg the Lightning to USB 3 camera adapter (for devices with lightning...) so you can use the interface & charge at the same time.

Do you have suitable recording software on your iPad?

Thanks you. :)

I don't have software yet.

• Yes, Auria (or Auria Pro) is one of the major DAWs on iOS, it has massive functionality but also takes a while to get to know. You’ll need to do some research on whether it suits your needs. Cubasis is another DAW, easier to use but more limited as well. There is an app called AUM from Kymatica that is a fantastic audio mixer - it has basic record functionality but it may be enough for your needs (they also do AudioShare, deals more with sound/file management). There are also free alternatives you can search for...

• My idea is

1. Record the KPA on a stereo track and build a bass/battery track on a garage band or with a looper.

2. Record the KPA in stereo on iOS (iphone) at the same time as hearing the output on the monitors.

I found AudioShare which is great but I record in mono .... :(

I think I have to go through a monitor controller for the speakers and iOS recording in the same time.

an idea?

an USB adaptator with iOS is good idea ?

• Do you just have an iPhone? Then I think you won’t be able to use Auria or Cubasis, they may be iPad only... but I forgot about GarageBand, that’s a good (and free) option.

AudioShare should record in stereo but it will depend how your interface is set up - did you buy an interface & if so, do you have the SPDIF input set as a stereo input? Perhaps it is configured as mono?

I’m not sure what you mean by “monitor controller” (mixer?) but if you have an interface, it should do the same thing. So you should be able to hear the output from GarageBand/AudioShare etc through the “monitor” or “main” output on the interface. Again, depending on which interface, you may have to configure it first so that the monitor output is what you want. For example, the Focusrite Scarlett devices use “MixControl” or “Focusrite Control” software to configure what goes to to main output - it could be the output from a DAW or it could be one or more of the inputs sent directly to the output (like zero latency monitoring). You need to check this... sorry, I do not have my Focusrite equipment near me right now so I can’t be more specific !

• Yes just Mac and iPhone.

Do you think SPDIF is useless in my case?

If I use a 6i6 to control the monitor, record on mac or iphone and currently reamping, it will work good?

can I plug a looper on the 6i6 and more, a keyboard ?

on the other hand I will not be able to record in stereo on the iPhone?

Is drums software or garageBand will be hear on monitor speackers ?

• What do U think about Presonus 68C or Présonus 1810c ?

I can use it without Mac connected ? after I put settings.

I'll record sometimes with Mac, sometines with Iphone (with LineOut) sometimes nothing.

regards.

• I think you can do what you need with the Focusrite 6i6 and SPDIF. You might find it difficult to input & output exactly what you want in iOS without the right software on your phone - if you find you cannot do it with what you have now (GarageBand can be limited in input/output options, AudioShare I don’t know very well) then you may need to buy some different apps - for example, AUM by Kymatica allows you to use all the hardware inputs and outputs you have connected and route them to/from other apps that support IAA (Inter-App Audio). But GarageBand will only allow one IAA input and I don’t know if it can be stereo... and I don’t think it will output to IAA. I need to test it!

SPDIF will be available as an input and output the same as analog so you should be able to reamp as well - again, so long as the software you use accepts the inputs & outputs.

If your looper has audio outputs then yes, you can connect those into the 6i6 inputs (if you have enough) and mix/record as needed. If you mean a MIDI keyboard, then so long as the interface has MIDI, you can attach a keyboard and run a synth app on the phone - there are some free ones/demos out there or you can buy some excellent apps in the store.

You should be able to record stereo on the phone, and listen to drum/looper apps or GarageBand output at the same time - but it probably all depends on the software you use. As I said before, GarageBand is crippled in some input & output options because Apple don’t want you to use it to generate audio to go into other apps, they want you to keep everything in their app, so it is sometimes not the best app to use. But you are limited on iPhone I think, there are not many DAWs that support the small screen...

If you are ok to wait a few days, I can try to do what you want on my phone and let you know, but I am just back from vacation so quite busy at the moment!

By the way, this should all work fine on a Mac computer - much easier I think!

• What do U think about Presonus 68C or Présonus 1810c ?

I can use it without Mac connected ? after I put settings.

I'll record sometimes with Mac, sometines with Iphone (with LineOut) sometimes nothing.

regards.

The PreSonus 68 C looks very similar to the Focusrite 6i6 except I guess the MIDI and SPDIF are connected using a dongle? The PreSonus studio 18 10 C has more connection options and the MIDI & SPDIF are on the interface - but do you need all those connections simultaneously? I have not used any PreSonus interfaces so I can’t give you any more information I’m afraid. I would guess they would work as you need without a Mac or iPhone connected (ie like a mixer)...

• My idea is

1. Record the KPA on a stereo track and build a bass/battery track on a garage band or with a looper.

2. Record the KPA in stereo on iOS (iphone) at the same time as hearing the output on the monitors.

I found AudioShare which is great but I record in mono .... :(

You say you get a mono recording... If you are already connecting via SPDIF, then are you using a “digital coaxial cable” for the connection? As I’ve realised from another topic in this forum, an audio RCA cable looks like a digital (SPDIF) cable with the same connector, but is only for mono... a digital coaxial cable is for stereo/multi-channel and is what I believe you need.

• The PreSonus 68 C looks very similar to the Focusrite 6i6 except I guess the MIDI and SPDIF are connected using a dongle? The PreSonus studio 18 10 C has more connection options and the MIDI & SPDIF are on the interface - but do you need all those connections simultaneously? I have not used any PreSonus interfaces so I can’t give you any more information I’m afraid. I would guess they would work as you need without a Mac or iPhone connected (ie like a mixer)...

yes, i don't need mush connections. just 3 input in same times.

is it good a dongle to MIDI and SPDIF connection on PreSonus 68C ?

You say you get a mono recording... If you are already connecting via SPDIF, then are you using a “digital coaxial cable” for the connection? As I’ve realised from another topic in this forum, an audio RCA cable looks like a digital (SPDIF) cable with the same connector, but is only for mono... a digital coaxial cable is for stereo/multi-channel and is what I believe you need.

Yes I record in mono today. I'll record in mono in iPhone and with SPDIF with mac.

thank you :)

• Hi,

ok 6i6 enter in my studio :)

1. perfect to record and play with iPhone, with Lightning to USB 3 camera adapter dongle.

2. You're right Durwin99, Need a Mac to configure 6i6 before use it.

3. i have crakles with S/PDIF in 96kHz. (44.1 ou 48 no problem)

I put the 6i6 on 96kHZ Internal clock, and KPA too. So i don't understand why the KPA must be the master of clock time?

best regards