Profiler crashes - fixed - after poor support experience

• As said, the "crash" (in terms of the DSP does not respond anymore) is a bug to be fixed.

Yes, but until the bug is fixed, the workaround you suggest is to limit CPU consumption.

So, for the last time, I'm asking that you please kindly provide details on how do just that in a predictable manner.

• Pitch effects are dsp intensive.

Delays with pitch or other effects are intensive as well.

My assumptions would be similar. But: are legacy delays as DSP intensive as the newer ones? And, most importantly, how do I quantify 'DSP intensive'?

How do other effects stack up? How can I anticipate how much is too much? Are there actually any hard data that go beyond educated guesses?

I'm using Rigs without any effects, Rigs with few effects, and heavily effected Rigs. All have their place, depending on song context.

I don't believe resource management of an amplifier should be the job of the guitarist. Imagine you own a tube amp that has reverb and tremolo effects built in, and it sometimes simply stops giving you any sound. Then Fender support tells you to buy a tremolo pedal, because you're not supposed to use both built in reverb and tremolo at the same time. And that 'in a musical context you probably don‘t want to use' both tremolo and reverb at the same time.

• My assumptions would be similar. But: are legacy delays as DSP intensive as the newer ones? And, most importantly, how do I quantify 'DSP intensive'?

How do other effects stack up? How can I anticipate how much is too much? Are there actually any hard data that go beyond educated guesses?

I don't think Legacy is as intensive. But some of the newer ones at the top of the list probably aren't that much more if at all.

You need a spred sheet to quantify. I'm not sure how you are gonna get that.

Not sure what you mean by stacking up, and anticipation will come with experience.

I'm sure there's some data somewhere, not sure if you can obtain it though.

Based on your signal chain explanation, I'm kinda surprised it crashes tbh.

• After reviewing again i could maybe see why it crashed but i could sware that I've done much worse lol

There's a transpose in the rig menu so you can save a block there btw. ;)

Working together is the important part.

• I don't think Legacy is as intensive.

Yeah, neither do I. I'm aware of how annoying it must be by now, but the point I'm trying to make repeatedly is that, as I don't know how much DSP an effect uses, I can't anticipate how much is too much. And I can't gather 'experience', because the crashes occur randomly, in different Rigs. During the last rehearsal, switching to one Rig that worked reliably for half a year caused a crash. No crashes with that Rig (or within that Performance) at any time before or since. No looping when the crash occurred.

On a computer, I can look at crash logs, I can gather 'top' (>Unix command) output to see which process uses how much CPU, I can do spindumps and run system diagnostics to figure out what is happening under the hood in great detail.

If end users are supposed to manage CPU resources, because the automatic resource management is broken, it would make sense to educate users in how exactly to do that, and educate them in how to gather the 'under the hood' data that are the foundation of resource management. I have no idea what the underlying OS of the Kemper looks like, how resources are managed, if there are log files, if there's a option to enable debug logging for certain processes (like you would in server troubleshooting), etc.

• Your firmware is probably bugged with a less than 1 percent chance of some kind of hardware fault.

It might not be as random as you think but you wouldn't know it was a bug, it's not like it's going to tell you that. The thread will give as much helpful suggestions as possible but it will probably end up being a tech support issue so working with everyone is vital. No matter how redundant the process seems.

I had an issue with rig manager and did all the same steps i was told do while i was trying to troubleshoot it myself and it worked for whatever reason. Downgrade, reflash, reset, up down back and forth. Send whatever files and examples anyone says and you'll get resolved the fastest.

• End users aren't "supposed" to do resource management but in some cases you do, and most of us wouldn't know what to do with that kind of technical data anyways. We are guitarist! All we can do is try to keep things going however which way we can.

See also: Helix

• Update:

after purchasing a TC Ditto X4 Looper and spending two days re-creating several rigs from scratch, I have not seen crashes in a week. Still needs some more testing, I'll report back.

Question for @timo

The release notes of the PROFILER Operating System 5.7.1.14156 Public Beta released yesterday state "fixed: rare DSP errors caused by Looper". Does that refer to the crash I reported?

BTW, FYI: a statement like "Still, in a musical context you probably don‘t want to use more than 2 delays" - especially considering that you haven't heard a single note I've played - is quite offending and completely inappropriate, IMHO.

• Question for @timo

The release notes of the PROFILER Operating System 5.7.1.14156 Public Beta released yesterday state "fixed: rare DSP errors caused by Looper". Does that refer to the crash I reported?

Hi...the support team isn't in no way in the need to be defended by me, but don't you think the thread title should be changed?

I mean...they have devoted a bug fix just depending on your instance.

Of course support must take into consideration every plausible request from people in order to get a better device, but overall I think they don't deserve to called 'horrible', especially after the bug fix. That's why I think you should 'clean' the title a bit :)

just my cent

"...why being satisfied with an amp, as great as it can be, while you can have them all?" michael mellner

"Rock in Ecclesia" - new album on iTunes or Google music

• Thread title changed.

Thanks to the developers for fixing this - although I, obviously, already spent money on a looper pedal after support was non-committant about fixing the issue in the first place.

I truly appreciate the developers' effort - it's not terribly common to have a code issue fixed in such a short time. Great.

(Disclaimer: I have not tested the fix myself, as I have no intention of using the internal looper in the future, and I never install betas in the first place).

Developers and tech support staff are different teams. I stand by my point that the actions from the tech support person are a prime example of horrible support - poor troubleshooting, blaming customers, unresponsive to questions, etc.

Case in point: movement in this support case only started after I changed the thread title from 'Profiler crashes' to 'Profiler crashes - horrible support'.

Kind of sad that it's necessary to make public, harsh comments to get attention for an issue, and get it resolved.