Question for those of you who use Kemper in the studio as well as for gigging

• Hello everyone!

I have a band I've been putting together for about a year now and my rig is solely my Kemper Powerhead (toaster) with an expression pedal. I have used it for all the demo recordings, and the idea was to always have the same sound live as I do in the recordings. However, I've only ever been in the recording studio world and have never had much experience playing out live before. I'm sure that many of the profiles I've used for our recordings will translate much differently than they would in a venue, be it through a PA system (would be ideal) or a cab.

I guess my question is, those of you who make records with your Kemper and then tour those records, do you make separate copies of each patch and tweak them for a live setting? I'm sure there is no easy answer to this. Just thought I'd ask and learn from some of you more experienced Kemper users.

- DF

• Personally, I don't care much about sounding "just like the record", actually I like to push for new sounds when I can get away with it so I'm not too anal about it. However, when I want a live sound to translate to recording, I feel I need a bit more treble and reverb (and often some gain adjustments too) and vice-versa. It also depends on the guitar being used (may not be the same used for recording.)

Edit: Usually, I just compensate this with the "definition" parameter instead of messing around with the front eq.

• The pattern I've noticed from reading others' experiences, Diego:

For live, lower (or remove) 'verb, back off the treble, bump the mids a little and lower bass.

The 'verb tweak helps to avoid doubling it up with the natural reverberant space of the venue. The tone tweaks are essentially a nod to the Fletcher-Munson effect due to the massive increase in volume.

• Although I don't record albums and tour them, I agree with Jed that live and studio can often be treated as two different things and nailing the exact sound from a recording isn't necessary in most cases. In my case with cover band type function gigs the analogy would be for me to try and totally replicate the sound from the original recording. I never do that. Even if I could do it those kinds of gigs often involve a potential set list of 100+ songs but the choice of what song to play next can be very flexible depending on how the audience are reacting. Setting up 100 presets and trying to find the right one in the heat of battle would be a recipe for disaster. Live the old mantra K.I.S.S. (keep it simple stupid) is worth its weight in gold.

I would suggest that most effects can be lowered slightly in a live situation with Delay often being reduced significantly and as Nicky said Reverb often OFF completely unless it is a special effect type reverb.

• Although I would generally agree with removing reverb (unless it's a reverb sound that's intrinsic to your sound, such as a 'surf' sound or reverb swells et.)... otherwise, I would present the same sound you know works well to the FOH mixer and let higher either tweak it or let you know what you need to change.

• I never completely remove reverb from live sound because in many types of gigs it most certainly ends up being recorded from the board (ie, tv shows, concerts, etc). I've done it in the past and found the playback to feel very dry. Consequently, I have a very light reverb that is pretty much always on - to which I add "effect" reverbs if needed.

• ^ A very low reverb setting is mostly negligible in the in-house band mix. I might agree for bass or certain specific parts but in my experience, totally dry sound both on the playback or in the IEMs can feel very unnatural for guitar, especially on sections where guitar is exposed such as fingerstyle acoustic intros or whatnots. After listening to many concerts playbacks, I came to the conclusion that I prefer to provide a sound as close as I can to my idea of the final result rather than bet on the fact that a dude might or might not add it after.

• I use a wet/wet/wet (it really is everything/everything/everything) system live with DXR10's and a 4x12 V30 cab.

Generally I wouldn't bother using the same rigs live. I find that while 90% of the rigs I have are great for recording 1% works live with full volume.

For some reason I also have to lower stereo delay significantly when playing live compared to the level I use while recording/practicing on monitors. Still not sure why that is.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• ^ AAfter listening to many concerts playbacks, I came to the conclusion that I prefer to provide a sound as close as I can to my idea of the final result rather than bet on the fact that a dude might or might not add it after.

This is a good approach if you are listening to desk recordings, but you forget what the audience hear is affected by the sound of the room. Often reverb levels from the studio will cloud the sound. I guess it depends on the musical style and how busy the sound in the band is.

From speaking with my live engineer, I agree with musicmad. Most recording sounds for rock and metal need addressing differently for live. More mids and less fizz, as Monkey Man said. At volume, the Fletcher-Munson has an impact.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

Edited once, last by karlic ().

• I guess my question is, those of you who make records with your Kemper and then tour those records, do you make separate copies of each patch and tweak them for a live setting? I'm sure there is no easy answer to this. Just thought I'd ask and learn from some of you more experienced Kemper users.

Well it will never sound the same as the recording (can be better or worse but not identical ) so just use the same patch ... and I hope the success of your show doesn't depend entirely on the guitar. If there is a good singer (male or female) and especially an attractive signer (charisma , good look, sexy one) or at least very good voice (think of the best singer you know) this will grab 80% of the audience attention so your Kemper tone is not as important as you think, for the audience it's even a detail . So in short just use the same rigs than the recording and stop thinking that the world turn around you

• Well it will never sound the same as the recording (can be better or worse but not identical ) so just use the same patch ... and I hope the success of your show doesn't depend entirely on the guitar. If there is a good singer (male or female) and especially an attractive signer (charisma , good look, sexy one) or at least very good voice (think of the best singer you know) this will grab 80% of the audience attention so your Kemper tone is not as important as you think, for the audience it's even a detail . So in short just use the same rigs than the recording and stop thinking that the world turn around you

I'm aware that it won't ever sound exactly the same, this question is more about what tweaks players usually make to their studio patches when they are in a live situation, such as backing off some of the reverbs like some have mentioned. Are you seriously telling me that you think that the guitar tone doesn't really matter and the show's success depends on having a sexy singer? What are you doing on here?

• Well it will never sound the same as the recording (can be better or worse but not identical ) so just use the same patch ... and I hope the success of your show doesn't depend entirely on the guitar. If there is a good singer (male or female) and especially an attractive signer (charisma , good look, sexy one) or at least very good voice (think of the best singer you know) this will grab 80% of the audience attention so your Kemper tone is not as important as you think, for the audience it's even a detail . So in short just use the same rigs than the recording and stop thinking that the world turn around you

If everyone in the band thinks like that and doesn't care about details within their own responsibility, the band will start to sound sloppy. I would encourage each musician to try and wring the last bit of quality from their gear and performance.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7