MIDI 2.0

• MMA has been making noise about 2.0 for a long time now. Honestly, it's astounding that a bunch of competing manufacturers ever got together in the first place and agreed on a spec, then implemented it, let alone stuck with it for all these years.

If they ever do actually release a 2.0, I hope it gets the same widespread adoption as the original. For an 8 bit protocol developed in 1983, MIDI has had a very impressive run as technologies go.

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

• This sounds awesome! I can't wait till they start bringing out hardware/software that makes use of the new parameters.

I wonder if the expressiveness is something similar to what the Roli Seaboard keyboards have.

• Sorry, would someone mind clarifying what 'auto-configuration' means in this context?

From the old spec (when it was still called MIDI-CI) :

"MIDI-CI assumes and requires bidirectional communication. Once a MIDI-CI connection is established between devices, query and response messages define what capabilities each device has. MIDI-CI then negotiates or auto-configures to use those features that are common between the devices. MIDI-CI provides test mechanisms when enabling new features. If a test fails, then devices fall back to using MIDI 1.0 for that feature. MIDI-CI improves MIDI capabilities in several key areas. "

It's basically very similar to USB today : when you plug in any USB device into your PC, negotiation allows the PC to know if it's a mouse, a harddisk, a printer, an audio card... Auto-configuration allows your PC to adapt to the available features of that specific device.

Kemper already implemented this kind of functionality using "MIDI 1.0". Any MIDI controller can connect and set up a 2-way communication protocol to request a certain set of info about the Profiler rigs and effects.