My Focusrite died on my while trying to record with Kemper

• Hi!

Unfortunately yesterday my Focusrite 6i6 2nd gen stopped working while I was trying to record with Kemper (I was trying also to reamp almost the whole day, but I couldn’t figure it out). It went down like this - I was just recording my take when I found out that I can only hear mono sound, after few minutes the sound stopped completely. I was recording through S/PDIF and was managing my routing through Focusrite Control, also it was my first day using Kemper in studio.

My question is - could the Kemper potentionally cause any harm to my Focusrite? If not, does anybody here have a similar experience or what could be the cause to this issue?

Thank you!

• It seems unlikely that the Kemper would do this. You can approach Focusrite very easily for them to look at the 6i6 though and their repair prices are reasonable. In fact I did this with an out of warranty Saffire and they didn't even charge, as it was considered a small problem. They paid for carriage too!

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

• I just bought a 2nd hand 6i6 a few weeks ago , and it works great , I've done dozens of recordings using my KPA on SPDIF & no problem.

I cannot see a digital signal like SPDIF burning some components on the 6i6 , no way, I think it's more of a problem with the card itself.

The only thinks that really bugs me is that it need a 5 minute warmup to connect to my PC docking station , with lots of intermittent connexions on the meanwhile. It uses an external power block so I really wonder what's happening ( I also changed the usb cables , same story). I had exactly the same issues with my roland quad capture, on a different PC.

Really strange USB intermittent connexions for sure , I've never seen USB devices need a 'warmup' like analog gear to get stable in my whole IT life, except these 2 soundcards :o

• Everything broke. Only thing working is that my soundcard is noticed by my macbook. But no sound goes in or out. Focusrite Control says “No hardware detected”,

• Probably either a 6i6 hardware issue, a driver problem or an issue with the cables. I've had 2 KPA/6i6 issues lately, both caused by USB or SPDIF:

1) I could not lock my spdif, where everything looked fine. Turned out, the spdif cables at the KPA side were a little loose. So it worked, but sort of half. Reseating it fixed it

2) From the 6i6 I got huge white noise, or rather more like digital overdrive. Reseated the USB cable into a different USB slot in the PC and it was solved.