Radio Chatter - New Reverbs

• External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Some experimentation with the new reverbs. Seeing what variety of usable sounds I could achieve using them, the obligatory whale sounds at the beginning of course, but some other more common sounds too, room and studio verbs etc.

• Thanks Monkey_Man, lots of fun to be had there, I wanted to explore not just the giant space textural verbs but the other options too. I still think the Kemper could still do with a convolution verb, I just wasn't able to nail my natural room sound although I was able to get some pretty cool different room sounds. I need to spend more time with the "Natural" verb which is the one I'm least sure about at this point though that could just be the name throwing me off.

• I hear you, mate.

Of course, with real-world room IR's there's the issue of the source-rooms' acoustic shortcomings. Back when Altiverb first hit the market everyone assumed that as soon as the processing power of our 'puters allowed it we'd all be using natural-'verb IR's exclusively and that algorithmic options would die on their asses. We were all very-excited when the Mac G4 hit the market around that time.

Turns out that the opposite is true, except perhaps in foley and classical applications. All but the very-best natural rooms cause issues, especially when more than one room's impulse is used, in a mix situation. All those decades Lexicon put into R&D surely paid off, and there can be no better example, IMHO, of the utility of the algorithmic approach than the facts that Lexicon 'verbs can be mixed and matched and even cranked way past where they "should" be without detrimentally affecting the mix.

IMHO, it comes down to "ideal" (read: HQ-algorithmic) rooms vs the real thing, with its attendant modes, resonances and lack of controllability.

All this said, impulses of Bricasti, TC Electronic and Lexicon units are a different matter altogether, and even with the lack of parameter control, IR's of such units would be really-handy to be able to import into the Kemper, IMHO.

• Beautiful example - Very rapturous and in another world:thumbup:

With the food comes the appetite.

Now we will sit for hours in front of the KPA and check sounds instead of practicing :)

• Thanks Sharry , haha yes that is always a problem for me too when new firmware drops, but it’s also when you get super inspired.

Thank you waraba , absolutely go for it. Whales just = big spacey pad verbs with virtually no dry mix to me. :D

Monkey_Man yeah, every unit has its uses and convolution is limited too, I think it’s best when combined with a good algorithmic engine to bring in the bloom, harmonics and spread that pure convolution doesn’t bring. These new verbs are a very cool starting point with their own take, in combo with the delays I hope to get some good retro sounds going.