Problems with the Software

• Hello Kemper Community,

I stumbled across an article about the Kemper Profiling Amp and was very impressed by the idea of profiling other amps.
    Yet the article also mentioned, that there are some problems with the software (system crash's, no undo function etc.).
    I would really like to know if you have any first hand experience with these problems, since I consider buying a Kemper
    (yet 1450€ is a hefty price tag for me... ever more so, if the amp really suffers from the problems mentioned above).

this is the article by the way (sorry it's in german)

http://e-gitarren.com/produkt/kemper-profiling-amplifier/

thanks in advance for your help :thumbup:

ouroboros

• This is a difficult question to answer really. There seems to be an equal amount of people who have lots of problems with the software freezing and an equal amount of people who have no problems with freezing etc. I belong to the group where my unit freezes every other day or so at boot up and sometimes will not boot up for several hours. The last problem actually lasted 2 days where the unit wouldn't boot up and then suddenly it decided to boot up again without me doing anything to it, so I've no idea what even caused the problem as it went away on its own. So, for me it is very unreliable, but for others it is very reliable so all you can do really is read through the problems thread on this forum and make your own decision.

• As stated-you will probably get mixed answers. I have 2. Got them the same day from 2 different sources. Until yesterday I ran one at 1.04 official release and the the last beta. No problems with either one really. That said, this is new tech that is still in development. Some features arent even available yet, like performance mode. I use one unit as my test/backup and the other as my main band rig. I try out patches and firmware on one, and once I trust the firmware or like a patch enough - it moves to the band unit. I work in the computer world, so dev/test/qa on one box and production on the other. Once in a while I get something wierd. I had no input one night. It was there, then it was gone. I blamed it on my wireless and moved on. I didnt have those issues the next practice so it may have been my lack of understanding of the volume control setup. Which, now that I have been messing with it, I really like. Just last night, I turned one of the units off, and stompX stayed red-with the rest of the unit dark. That was wierd. Nothing has negatively affected playability for me. Quiet the opposite, both bands prefer to tones I am getting to my axe2 setup. Of course, they both think it looks cooler as well, but tonally speaking it is blowing my mind. I had moments like that with the axe2 as well. A really great sounding night, and then I struggle the next week to reach the same tonal nirvana. Hasn't happened yet with the KPA. My only regret-I didnt wait for a black one so I can tell the two apart a little easier.

Guitars-Lifeson Axcess Red, Lifeson Axcess Brown, Iced Tea Axcess stop tail, LRP Sig 57
    Amp-Axefx2, KPA, G5, GSP1101, RCF, QSC, Matrix, EHX-Mag44

• The Kemper's firmware is still beta and not all features are implemented. There are bugs, but it's getting better.

• I have been pretty fortunate as well only a minor issue or two. It's obvious the unit is still in development. But for my needs and not using live it has worked great. Lots of opinions on sound but for ke I have yet to hear anything sound as potentially good as the Kemper can in a direct box

• Being through all FW versions. Never had an issue Live, 1 crash (in studio) in 3 Months of use, never happened again.

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• I got mixed feelings about that. Didn't have any issues (since October on using the "real" beta firmwares) until 3-4 weeks ago when my KPA would suddenly crash occasionally. This happened on a gig 3 times. For now I'll stick with an amp for playing live, the KPA is at home for headphone playing. With the current software I wouldn't recommend it for playing live, but the Kemper team is usually fast with fixing bugs, let's see how it develops :)

MJT Strats / PRS Guitars / Many DIY Guitars -- Kemper Profiler Rack / Kemper Remote / InEar

• Thank you very much for all your replies. It seems like the two innitial responses were right about the mixed answers :)
    How about the non existing "undo" function? Since the article I postet in my original question states, that sometimes a
    slight turn of a knob can tremendously effect the profiled sound. therefore a simple undo function would come quite in handy.

so many questions, but I hope you can help me. :thumbup:

thanks in advance

ouroboros

• I don't really understand that as a problem. I mean if I turn the treble up, my undo is to turn it back down. I think. All parameters are easy To read and should be able to get back if u don't like what change. And ultimataly the undo would be to not save your changes and recall your prior profile.

• Ouroboros,

Don't overlook the snapshot feature - "Undo" may not work, but you can fake similar functionality with it. I'm also using it as a way to identify favorites from all the huge variety of profiles. When you hear a profile you like, snapshot it and keep auditioning others until you've heard them all. By the time you've finished, your Snapshots will contain a list of favorites at your fingertips.

-djh