Question: Does anyone shoot profiles with IR's instead of micing cabinets?

• No, that's okay. Your question is a completely different question. That other thread is about using OTHER PEOPLE's IRs.

But let's say I create a few of my own IRs or IR blends from all my favorite cabs. Then I profile Amp A with each of those IRs. Then Amp B, etc.. That's lot of profiles to sell and a LOT LESS work.

I think it's a practice whose merits are worth a discussion.

• Exactly! That's why I was curious. It would save a lot of time.

I assume some commercial profiles are/were made with IRs and no one is any wiser. The question for me is do they shoot their own IRs from scratch?? Or, use a commercial, third party IR.

I've shot a lot of IRs and it isn't just slap a mic in front a speaker and get good results. It is an art form in of itself. But, so is creating good sounding profiles. I think the two are very similar in the fact that they are both garbage in, garbage out. Seeing that there is a niche market in commercial profiles, I just wondered about this subject.

I won't go down the rabbit hole of the thread you shared above, but I do think there are ethical, moral and legal questions around this subject and a very large gray area that hasn't been dove into.

I personally wouldn't have an issue with this if it was the person creating the profile that created the IR. But....How do you truly validate that? You can't.