A Kemper VST from Overloud ?

• MKB

Kipr files contains instructions for some sort of "universal model " in the dsp of kemper ...and heavy truncated cab impulse ....

I think overloud guys - reversed algorithms of KPA ....

I `m owner of kemper since early out ....and i dreamed about kemper VST for users of kemper )

And KPA - can be a hardware dongle for vst .... vst can be a huge timesaver for studio only guys like me .....

But laws of industry is brutal ....if Christof not made this ,,, somebody else made ths .....

• Like any software update, it can be made mandatory in order to continue to use the device. If this is the only way to shut down copying of the profiles then those on older versions would have no choice. Microsoft and Apple do this all the time.

• Well, the proof of the pudding is in the eating. If it comes out, it could be game changing. I think tonnes of people who couldn't afford a Kemper would jump on a VST like that.

Plus, so many possibilities with a computer, such as dual profiles, or triple profiles. Even a whole band through a computer and interface.

Of course, personally, I prefer hardware to software, just for things like latency and reliability.

And again, let's look at this objectively when it is out. Easy to say it is just like the Kemper.

Odd that they don't talk about profiling amps, they have directed all the marketing information at cloning the Kemper. But that may be because they can't offer the profiling feature.

Would a conversion service behind the scenes therefore be a way around the patent?

All said and done, those space alien ship sounds and whatnot may actually point to having figured out everything about the Kemper and putting it into software.

• I was thinking early on that they are not actually reading the kpir but loading it into a Kemper and sending their "profiling" signal through to read the profile.

You might be right. Maybe they are eluding to that you can profile the Kemper using their plugin. Its like a "hint" wink wink nod nod kind of thing.

Who knows.

• They can't encrypt the profiles that are already available without potentially breaking the Kemper for anyone running an older version.

Why microsoft can do this?

But I'll try to be serious:

I think they could do it and force people to upgrade to a new version and update old version-files with the new operating system.

I'm not sure if this is necessary for this issue.

• - There are some people out there still running older versions for whatever reason - stability, not liking something Kemper did that affect the tone of an effect, etc.

- I have several thousand .kipr files on my hard drive, and so do at least few hundred other people. Kemper has no way to encrypt those. New profiles with the most current OS? Sure, they could do that.

• If you use Rig Manager to manage all those thousands of profiles, then the next time you update it and Kemper decides to introduce encryption as a necessity then during the installation process it could sweep through all of them and encrypt them before you could blink. Remember a thousand profiles is only around 6 megabytes of data. That's nothing and can be encrypted in an instant. Of course if you wish to stay on an older version then you might lock yourself off from the Rig Exchange which no doubt would also end up encrypted and any further releases of new profiles from commercial profilers too. If it became necessary for Kemper to pursue this path, you can be sure you will have to as well.

• If you use Rig Manager to manage all those thousands of profiles, then the next time you update it and Kemper decides to introduce encryption as a necessity then during the installation process it could sweep through all of them and encrypt them before you could blink. Remember a thousand profiles is only around 6 megabytes of data. That's nothing and can be encrypted in an instant. Of course if you wish to stay on an older version then you might lock yourself off from the Rig Exchange which no doubt would also end up encrypted and any further releases of new profiles from commercial profilers too. If it became necessary for Kemper to pursue this path, you can be sure you will have to as well.

Hello CelticGibson,

This will NEVER happen.

Firstly, every responsible KPA owner should have multiple backups. I have a hard drive with over 200 KPA backups going back to 2014.

Secondly, it would be a complete slap in the face to all the 3rd-party Commercial Profiles who have helped build and support the Kemper platform. All their current and legacy profile packages would become instantly unusable.

Lastly (and most importantly), all the KPA owners who have profiled their own amps will suddenly find their personal profiles unusable, if Kemper institutes some sort of encryption filter.

There would be zero point for Kemper to institute a new encryption process, if they also allow all legacy .kipr profiles to be "grand-fathered" in. And they will never be so stupid as to cause all legacy .kipr to become immediately non-functional and obsolete.

Cheers,

John

Edited once, last by Tritium ().

That's a pretty impressive invasion of their users' systems and would piss off a LOT of people.

• Backups wouldn't be affected by any encryption policy as the contents would be automatically encrypted to work with the profiler once you access the contents and add them to rig manager again.

How could it be a slap in the face of any commercial profiler since the profiles would not be affected in any way, nor would legacy files because once they are accessed by Rig Manager, they would be encrypted automatically so nothing would perceived to have changed to the user. In fact you would never know it happened if you updated the software and firmware. It's just like when commercial profilers tell the customers that their profiles are made for a particular firmware in order to work and that it would be in your best interest to upgrade....

You can stay on an older firmware but you would be better off upgrading to get the best value out of their new profiles.

Anyone who profiles their own amps would not notice the change to encrypted profiles because the profiler would decrypt and play the files once accessed. You are never locked out from the Profiler at any stage.

Absolutely nothing would change for you in any way.

I wouldn't be so sure that they won't pursue this policy in the future if their IP becomes vulnerable.... Business is business and it must be protected..

• Hello CelticGibson,

Honestly, I cannot see any point (and only negatives) for Kemper to suddenly implement an encryption/DRM protection systems on their profiles. As the entire point of such encryption/DRM methods would be to prevent 3rd-parties from doing what Slate is claiming to have done...well, the cat is already out of the bag. Or to use another metaphor...it is like closing the barn door after the horse has bolted. There are thousands upon thousands of kemper profiles that have been produced, to date, which are out in the wild.

Christoph and his engineers are very, very smart people. I am sure they considered the possibility of a 3rd-party backwards engineering a Kemper profile player (note -- not a profiler, as that is patent protected). For whatever reason, Christoph did not consider it necessary nor advantageous to attach DRM protection to the profile format. I don't see that changing suddenly just because of this Slate VST.

One other point...I don't use Rig Manager. Or, to be more specific, I have never connected my PC running Rig Manager to my Kemper. Not even once. Any OS, profile or preset loading, copying or archiving (backup) is done via USB Flash drive. However, I suspect I will start using Rig Manager when the Editor is released.

Edited 2 times, last by Tritium ().

• People keep saying it is a Slate VST but I thought it was an Overloud program that just so happens to be included as part of the Slate bundle. I think you can purchase the overloud program without by itself.

Either way this is a very interesting development. I think there are enough profiles out there that encrypting at this stage wouldn't make a huge difference. If they have already converted a few decent sounding Fenders. Marshalls, Voxs and Mesas that will be enough for most people. You really only need to bottle the lightening once.

Myself and others said years ago that a cheaper, smaller profile player would be a game changer. This isn't a hardware unit - but if it is possible and legal to 'play' a profile in other hardware then it is only a matter of time before someone does that.

• - There are some people out there still running older versions for whatever reason - stability, not liking something Kemper did that affect the tone of an effect, etc.

- I have several thousand .kipr files on my hard drive, and so do at least few hundred other people. Kemper has no way to encrypt those. New profiles with the most current OS? Sure, they could do that.

It happened (I think with) vers 3.3 that Kemper changed the file system (I think to be able to release morph).

The older Rigs was still able to use. Only Rigs which was profiled with the newer Version needed the updated OS.

Nobody would be forced to update (I fortgot the word "not" in the former posting) but then you cannot use some new feature.

• Sorry I did not mean to create a debate on here. My thoughts were if they released a new feature that would be the easy way to include an encryption. It would only affect new profiles.

Sure there are thousands and thousands of profiles out there. But some of us ,myself included ,will always be chasing tone and looking for new profiles.

No one knows exactly how the Kemper camp will react to this plugin. But my guess is that doing nothing is not an option.

• Hope this Software was created with approval from Kemper, maybe they get a % out of the rental? If not it maybe time for Kemper to create and release a profiler player for a reasonable price to be able to compete and discourage people from buying the plug in.