A Kemper VST from Overloud ?

• So they use patent tech to create a product but never sell the actual patented tech to get around the patent?

Yeah, sounds like they're aiming to sell "converted profiles", which wouldn't be infringing on Kempers patent (I think). But I don't get which profiles they will use as source without infringing the person doing the original profile's copyright.

• From the video, it looks like they have reverse engineered the profiling process somewhat, but as they aren’t selling the technology to do that, they get around the patent. A profile player would be perfectly legal, I believe, even if it used kpr files. After all, how many programs can interpret Word documents?

Edit : obviously, this would only apply to the raw Stack part of the KPA profile, as the Stomps and Effects sections are modelled and written using the DSP chip inside the Kemper’s unique capabilities.

• Maybe we can convert our own profiles into another format and use the same sound as in the profiler with any notebook.

And Kemper profile sellers can convert their profiles for the new VST and sell it to new customers.

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

• Wow, interesting! My boss is fond of saying: "You don't get any flak unless you are over the target". Kemper is obviously hitting a few nerves out there! And if a company has reverse engineered Kemper profiles... just wow.

• The Jon Symons clips from the other Slate announcement video didn't sound anywhere close to how good Jon's original AxeFX/Helix recordings sound.

And that's saying a lot because I LOVE the stuff Jon does. By that I mean, I listen to his "songs" in the car almost daily.

• From overload.com (nothing about "the most popular hardware amp profiler"):

TH-U is able to load rig profiles created by sampling real setups.

The Rig To Model (R2M) proprietary technology allows Overloud engineers to sample and capture the response of an entire rig, including the nonlinear and dynamic response of the amplifier, the cabinet, the microphones, the mic preamplifier and the room sound.

https://overloud.com/products/th-u-full

• I like the future iPhone „Kemper“ the most ?

The TH-U roadmap includes also the iOS (iPhone and iPad) version of TH-U and a preset cloud system to share the presets between computer and mobile devices.

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

• I always wondered, why nobody is releasing an alternative profiler. I guess there are a lot of peolpe trying to reverse engineer the kemper, or trying create a new profiling process. I guess kemper has his profiling patented, only his algorithms, not the profiling concept in general.

For me its a mistery. Many years without competence. Maybe K. is that genius, maybe is that hard to reduce to some equations and algorithms what an amp makes to the signal.

Coming from the virus synth developer..it is at least curious.

• That is quite amazing. I'd like to know more and see some real world tests.

They say that they use Ownhammer IRs, so I'm not sure whether it has the same cab section technology as the Kemper, or whether it's a way of offering more cabinets to users.

It's not a Profiler competitor, I think. More like a tribute than the real deal.

In that regard, note that they don't say you can copy real amps. They seem to say you can copy the profiler, at least in their marketing so far.

• Interesting and somehow to be expected. Other mothers also have clever sons and daughters.

The profiling process of the KPA is probably protected but the physics behind it is probably not.

Let's see what becomes of it.

As users we can only profit from the progress, whereby the business model can certainly also play a big role.

• I wonder if CK and SS talked to each other about this. Slate is not using K-terminology (rig isn't;).
    I picture them standing towards each other, no talking needed. They communicate telepathically. From one genius to another. :/8)

Gear: Strats & KPA. Plug Ins: Cubase, NI, iZotope, Slate, XLN, Spectrasonics.
    Music: Song from my former band: vimeo.com/10419626[/media][/media][/media] Something new on the way...

• I wonder if CK and SS talked to each other about this. Slate is not using K-terminology (rig isn't;).
    I picture them standing towards each other, no talking needed. They communicate telepathically. From one genius to another. :/8)

I think that Slate is Steve Jobs to Fabrice Gabriel's Wozniack. Fabrice Gabriel telepathically communicating face to face with Christoph Kemper would be more realistic;):D

• Are effects and all the output stuff stored in the profiles at all? I mean the real algorithms, not the parameters. My guess is that only the effect parameters are stored in the profile, not the effects themself so there is no way they sound the same as when used in the profiler.

• I think that Slate is Steve Jobs to Fabrice Gabriel's Wozniack. Fabrice Gabriel telepathically communicating face to face with Christoph Kemper would be more realistic ;):D

:) True

Gear: Strats & KPA. Plug Ins: Cubase, NI, iZotope, Slate, XLN, Spectrasonics.
    Music: Song from my former band: vimeo.com/10419626[/media][/media][/media] Something new on the way...

• I have some Slate stuff, I like their drums. I can’t see the point in It, who wants more stuff to load down your system? Especially since Kemper and others are available in hardware format? Too much crap on the computer gets lame after a while.