What’d you get? The 2019 gear junkies thread

• I got a 2-tier keyboard stand to put the virtual instruments in front of the piano. Put the iMac on an adjustable arm, so I had to move some rackmount gear (the rack mounts were wearing unstable anyway)

The Kemper is on the other side of the room connected by S/PDIF RCA Send/Receive under the carpet (wish this was an Optical cable!) and to a 1x2 cabinet next to the keyboard.

What's new in 2019 is the keyboard, the top VI (Integra-7) with the white cable on top, the S/PDIF switcher on top, the PreSonus Monitor Station V2 below the Apollo 8, a hidden iConnectivity 4x MIDI switcher behind the iMac. There is supposed to be a WA-EQP but the postoffice "delivered" it somewhere else. Haven't found out where that is yet.

• That looks great. How are you liking the Integra, db9091 ? I want to get one at some point, seems like the most powerful rack unit out there at the moment.

• What's new in 2019 is the keyboard, the top VI (Integra-7)

It's the perfect compliment to the XS Rack IMHO, Dennis. The Yammy provides a more-clinical, frequency-balanced sound whereas the Rolly brings warmth, weight and a shedload of patches to the mix.

How are you liking the Integra, db9091 ? I want to get one at some point, seems like the most powerful rack unit out there at the moment.

That's why I recommended it to you, AJ. ;)

• That looks great. How are you liking the Integra, db9091 ? I want to get one at some point, seems like the most powerful rack unit out there at the moment.

Monkey_Man hit it on the head.

Yamaha Motif Rack XS:

* more high pass filtering, so it fits in the mix

* church organs are magnificent (if you're a tocatta & fugue kinda guy)

* has about 1400 instruments, sounds, fx.

Roland Integra-7

* more moderns sounding (better orchestral for clarinets, violins, sax, etc)

* instruments can be layered up to 16 parts

* is better controlled with expressions (more realistic control) for Breath, Wheel or Joystick Mod FX.

* history of Roland synths if you're into this. over 5,000 instruments, sounds, fx.

* plugin control & ipad controller for manipulating patches & synths (if you want to tweak the LFOs by hand and not menu, etc)

I think in the end, the point of hardware units like this are:

* equity over time (in that software eventually goes to zero)

* quick & no fuss production (presets load almost immediately, whereas software can take a minute to load a bank, so even if you replace later, you can get ideas down quickly)

*lasts longer

In the long run, they may even be cheaper because of update costs or rebuying new software to replace old outdated ones.

• plugin control & ipad controller for manipulating patches & synths (if you want to tweak the LFOs by hand and not menu, etc)

Of course, there's the Roland Editor, plugin-style:

Roland - Support - INTEGRA-7 - Updates & Drivers

K_Take's free stand-alone "INTEGRA-7 Sound Editor" is vastly-superior and a Godsend 'though:

INTEGRA-7 Sound Editor

HTH, Dennis.