Rig Manager 3.0 Editor

• For we "live use" guys .....

It would be SOOOO nice to have a feature where we could manage an entire show .... as follows:

1) Allow a set list to be created by song name

Position ----- Song

1 --------- "Wonderful Tonight"

2 --------- "Enter Sandman"

etc etc.

2) Provide a method of assigning a performance number (or name ... or both) to a song

Song ---------------------- Performance number/Name

Wonderful Tonight ----- 1 "Strat Soft"

Enter Sandman ---------- 2 "Metalica"

3) Allow an entire performance to be downloaded to the kemper so that the first song lines up with the first performance. Simply hitting the "up performance" button gets you to the next song setup.

This would really make a huge difference for people that gig live alot.

• For me, the following would be great. Some of these look like they're done already which is brilliant news:-

1. Ability to easily create individual effect presets and store them on the PC. Drag and drop these into the fx slots at will. Ability to lock any one of these effect slots from the editor whilst changing out profiles from the library. Ability to share these in a rig exchange stylee so as the community can come up with easily shareable cool stuff that does not infringe on anyone's copyright with the rigs as they are independent of the actual profiles.

2. Ability to create effects chains and save them to PC. Simple drag and drop onto any profile you load so that the effects that it comes with are all changed out at once. Ability to 'lock' an effect chain in place so as you can audition different profiles. Ability to easily share chains with the community.

3. Ability to add user-nameable columns to the new Rig Manager interface. A user could then, for example, set up a column called 'guitar' and if they created a killer rig on their Strat they could simply put 'strat' in the column. Another rig sounds great on the LP. If you can then 'sort' by this column then all the cool things you've created for a particular guitar would be there for you.

4. Ability to implement morphing really easily. It's a great feature but a little bit clunky to operate right now IMO. The NAMM videos seem to show a great solution for this already so I guess I'm not alone in finding the current implementation to be tricky.

5. Ability to easily assign stomp behaviour with the floorboard. Ability to save custom floorboard rigs and 'lock' them so that, if you want to, you can always have button 1, 2, 3 and 4 set to do (for example) comp, tremolo, delay and reverb. That way, when you change a preset, it always stays so your compressor is in the same place......

6. Drag and drop of anything from the libraries into 'performance' mode and again define how the floorboard works with it.

7. For future use...... Ability to run the editor as a VST in your DAW. I am *not* talking about the Kemper as a VST instrument with all the potential for piracy this entails. I am talking about being able to recall Kemper settings on a DAW channel and perhaps use automation. Recall would be handy when you come back to a part later - if you were actually using the editor from your DAW, it could recall exactly what you were doing first time around..... This isn't a big one for me personally as I currently create a folder in Rig Manager per song I record and simply drag in the rigs I'm using. This works well but, if I'm dreaming, this would be nice :)

So you can see that most of my 'editor' requirements are not so much about editing at all - I think a lot of folks believed that the request for an editor was purely for the tweak heads. I think that tweaking with the screen will be really welcome simply because of all the pages of dials on (say) the delays now but, for me, it's all about ease of use moreso that tweaking for hours on end. I am hoping this thing will make the life of a lazy person easier - it's to make the experience more user-friendly, not for me to disappear down the rabbit hole of endless twiddling. I get that some folks love that and that's entirely fair enough but in my case it's to make limited tweaking easy and storage / organisation / the interface / speed of operation much better.

I'm very grateful indeed that the company is doing this and the bits we saw from the NAMM videos are already looking nice. I cannot wait but, of course, will do with excitement :)

• 5. Ability to easily assign stomp behaviour with the floorboard. Ability to save custom floorboard rigs and 'lock' them so that, if you want to, you can always have button 1, 2, 3 and 4 set to do (for example) comp, tremolo, delay and reverb. That way, when you change a preset, it always stays so your compressor is in the same place......

I'm not sure if this is what you mean but.........

I would love to be able to lock the buttons on my remote so they are always something like Wah, Compressor, Effect X , Delay. However, still have the presets change with rigs/performances. So for example the button would always act as Delay On/Off but the actual delay preset that is being turned on/off could be different for each rig.

• Hi Alan,

Yes, that’s what I mean; have the 1, 2, 3, 4 buttons set up to be locked for your preference of ‘your most important fx when you are performing’.

When you change performance, everything changes in terms of your settings but those simple on and off things are there for you in the same places.

I guess, if you can do custom layouts of the floor board and save them / drag and drop then it’s not a big deal if you cannot lock the buttons but nice if you could :)

• V8guitar you can currently assign remote stomps buttons from the KPA without taking the remote out. Under the rig menu (can't remember which page) you can press 'assign' and the FX you want to. That is something I have learned here on the forum as well

aside of that, great ideas, this would be great to be managed directly from the editor

I didn't know that, I'll check it out. Would still be good to do it via the editor as well though...but thanks for letting me know :)

• please continue to posts requests here. at this stage, we'll not be able to comment on every aspect - not everything is set in stone and this will be the first editor release. but keep commenting, it shows us what's important to you.

Any chance of putting the 'LOCK' buttons on each editor page.:)

One of the most important things to me is, having a 'LOCK' buttons on each page. I know a rig is supposed to be amp+cab, but I have a small set of preferred cabs, and stomps and effects, and just find different amps to fit.

Sterling Musicman JP150, Fender USA Strat
    Kemper Powerhead & Remote > ElectroVoice ZLX12-P | Palmer 1x12 Cab(G12M) | Sennheiser HD558
    Audient iD14 > Reaper

• It would be very useful for those who use a performance or rig per song. Persoanlly I don;t use it this way ( I only use it live as well).

Only mention it not to diss your request but to flag that I think the way you use is limited to a certain number of users not all live users.

BTW total Kudos if you do follow wonderful tonight with Enter Sandman :)

• 2) Provide a method of assigning a performance number (or name ... or both) to a song

Song ---------------------- Performance number/Name

Wonderful Tonight ----- 1 "Strat Soft"

Enter Sandman ---------- 2 "Metalica"

Have you tried the renaming function in RM?

You can rename the performance and the included rigs.

The serial number of a performance you couldn't edit - but I think you're using the same numbering system as most here.;)

• You can rename the performance and the included rigs.

Yeah, that's what I currently do with performances. When I glance down at the remote I don't want to have to stop and think about whether or not I've got the right thing.

If I'm supposed to be playing Wonderful Tonight and the performance says Enter Sandman, I know that bad things are about to happen. :)

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

• Maybe it's only me, but my old rig manager needs prox. 9 minutes to start up. When I close the program after first time opening, it takes prox. 1,5 minutes to start again. When I shoot down my laptop over night another 9 minutes is needed for a start.

My laptop is on win 7, intel i5. Not so slow when using other programs like i tunes with over 12000 mp3 or my pictureprogram with loads of pictures.

My rig manager has to handle the exchange rigs and my private stock is over 60000 profiles ( yes 60000).

Hope the startup procedure will run faster with the new editor and the integrated rig manager.

This and a clear identifying of merged profiles are my only requests, because the other functions are obvious and the first pics of the screen look fantastic.

I think we need this merge identifying because of the upcomming cab. When I will run the cab with cab sim off I think I need a merged or a di profile and when I will parallel use my frfr at monitor out I need to use cab sim on. Best of both worlds like Ingolf have said.

Cheers

Frank

• Frank, change computer. haha! Seriously, if you don't have an ssd, get one.

Mine takes 3 seconds to open (recent imac with ssd) with (only) 3000 profiles.

• Yeah, I hope that mustn’t the solution ( never touch a running system). Horrible to replace cubase with the licences and other things. But if this is the only way, I have to do that.

But my thought was that an i5 processor is not so slow and it has to work. 9 minutes are way to for a start procedure imho.

Cheers

Frank

• My laptop is on win 7, intel i5. Not so slow when using other programs like i tunes with over 12000 mp3 or my pictureprogram with loads of pictures.

My rig manager has to handle the exchange rigs and my private stock is over 60000 profiles ( yes 60000).

I do not have so much profiles (about half) but when I update my notebook for the rehearsal room , i've got the similar effect .

It's a Surface 3 with win 10, i5 .

I did not check the time the first time but almost I thought the programm is crashed and so I stopped via Task manager.

With a new start ist was just like a normal start.

Now I'm used to do this in this way, so I do not get nervous any more . ;)

Could it be that on the end of the update procedure something happended that the process will not finish?

For normal start it takes less than 1 minute.

• May I suggest that the user interface design is considered a little more.

It is my view that a computer mouse and screen is fundamentally different from physical hardware. I am particularly thinking about the UI where circular knobs are turned by the user. I appreciate that probably that once selected then a simple up and down motion on the mouse will 'rotate' the virtual knobs, but this is not all that intuitive imho.

There is an opportunity to make the computer based UI better if the strengths of the computer interface are used rather than replicating the interface metaphor of the hardware unit. I realise that opposed to this point of view is the idea that end users already have a good idea of how to interact with the device using the existing UI metaphor. Somehow there must be a best of both worlds approach?

Having said all of that - I am looking forward to the editor even with its existing demo UI.

• What do you suggest instead?