Rig Manager 3.0 Editor

• Mac mouses don’t have a middle wheel

That's why I hate Apple tech , no need for a mid button, no need for a jack on your phone ...

Too bad for Apple users , but that feature proved to be a great improvement in a tuning workflow on my DAW

Please implement it for Windows & Linux users & ask Steve Wozniak to find a workaround

• That's why I hate Apple tech , no need for a mid button, no need for a jack on your phone ...

Too bad for Apple users , but that feature proved to be a great improvement in a tuning workflow on my DAW

Please implement it for Windows & Linux users & ask Steve Wozniak to find a workaround

I have middle scrolling and middle click on my mouse :) It's been more than 15 years since mac mice didn't come with those features.

• BTW I have another request for the Editor interface :

I'd like to be able to assign front KPA knobs & buttons to other functions than their original ones ( with a 'restore defaults' in case we mess up )

For instance , I'd love to change the front 'presence' knob to 'definition' .

• I agree with Michael_dk that if you don't like something like the circular knobs you should propose something instead.

From my point of view it is completely intuitive like this and would only change it for something clearly better.

• I agree with Michael_dk that if you don't like something like the circular knobs you should propose something instead.

From my point of view it is completely intuitive like this and would only change it for something clearly better.

I think an horizontal sliding overlay pop up when hovering over or selecting one of the controls would be cool, at least as a selectable option. Much easier to slide with a mouse more accurately, especially on a small laptop, where the software knobs would be much smaller and harder to see.

• I think, beyond mouse interaction which should certainly accommodate middle mouse wheels, having an alternative of using the cursor keys is helpful. Right and left select the next knob, up and down turn it.

Also a good idea to have the current parameter you’re adjusting to ‘blow up’ on the screen and appear bigger. If people are currently saying the physical interface is too small, an increased size whilst you adjust would be welcome for some I think.

Gary

• Just gotta say....this is so exciting. Kemper team - even if you are not able to incorporate any/many of the suggestions, its great that we are being asked at this stage. I don't remember this happening before but.....YEY!

• BTW I have another request for the Editor interface :

I'd like to be able to assign front KPA knobs & buttons to other functions than their original ones ( with a 'restore defaults' in case we mess up )

For instance , I'd love to change the front 'presence' knob to 'definition' .

I asked for this in a feature requests a couple of months ago. I makes perfect sense to me as I never touch most of the knobs at the moment.

I agree with Michael_dk that if you don't like something like the circular knobs you should propose something instead.

Both Sam and Gary's suggestions are simple but much more effective than virtual knobs in my opinion. I have many pieces of software (like Logic and Guitar Rig etc) which use virtual knobs but they are way less efficient than a vertical or horizontal slider. Keying in a data value is even better in many cases - unless I am imagining things though, I believe team Kemper have already implemented that option in the demo version :)

I recently saw a ToneJunkie video podcast where HW and Michael Britt were discussing the advantages of Kemper over Helix and Axe etc. One of things they mentioned was that the other solutions try to totally emulate the physical amps INCLUDING their shortfalls. One example given was that on a real amp the gain and volume are interdependent. Turning up the gain means you NEED to turn down the volume to retain the same level. The team at Kemper took a different approach and captured all the good bits but improved upon the shortfalls :love: In this example they made it possible to increase gain without needing to reduce volume. However, if you want to increase volume you still can but it's a choice.8)

I see the editor project in the same way. Why create something awesome but also build in the limitations and faults of hardware or build in a less than ideal GUI from outset just for the sake of tradition?

In my case, I much prefer turning physical knobs and pushing buttons to playing with a mouse. Therefore, the editor isn't actually of much interest to me in the conventional sense. However, the genius of the current demo version is that you can turn the physical knobs on the KPA and have them instantly change values on the editor. That sounds like something useable to me! Effectively the editor just becomes a massive screen for seeing the impact of any knob movements in context of the bigger Rig picture.

• I recently saw a ToneJunkie video podcast where HW and Michael Britt were discussing the advantages of Kemper over Helix and Axe etc. One of things they mentioned was that the other solutions try to totally emulate the physical amps INCLUDING their shortfalls. One example given was that on a real amp the gain and volume are interdependent. Turning up the gain means you NEED to turn down the volume to retain the same level. The team at Kemper took a different approach and captured all the good bits but improved upon the shortfalls :love: In this example they made it possible to increase gain without needing to reduce volume. However, if you want to increase volume you still can but it's a choice.8)

I never knew that! But now I think about it....

• I really would like an Editor where I can customise the interface to my needs.

For example, look at this window. The Rig Librarian takes up most of the real estate on my space.

Meanwhile, the editor section is a small strip at the bottom.

I would like a big Librarian section when browsing profiles. When I am editing a profile, however, I want to have a bigger space for the editor side of things.

Another thing: It looks like we are currently limited to seeing the controls for one section in the edit portion, whether that is the amp and cab, a stomp, delay, reverb, etc.

I'd say give us the option to have three editing sections open. Or five. Or just one.

One way to do that, could be that we just have them as detachable windows that we could move around on the screen. Naturally, they should be "always on top" while Rig Manager is open.

Of course, even having them docked in the window is fine. Or maybe two docked and three floating. Or whatever.

"Total flexibility with my Kemper Rig Manager". You could maybe get Paul Gilbert to shoot an ad for you in which he says that :D

• I can see both sides on the circular knob thing. From a purely computer point of view, values that go -x to +y indicate a slider to me. Select the control and dragging left or right with the mouse is obvious because the slider goes left and right. If it's a knob, which way do I drag - up and down or left and right (I've seen both). Select the slider and your keyboard left / right arrows move the slider left and right.

From a geek's perspective (not to mention a guy who's been designing and writing software for a living for 30 years), this is the only logical and intuitive UI there could be for that kind of value.

That said, geeks in general, and especially software developers, get tunnel vision and tend to forget that not everyone perceives the universe in the same way that they do. Just ask someone who's dyslexic. Or better still, has synesthesia (a friend of mine hears someone say a number and sees purple).

When you're talking about people who are not normal, musicians shoot right to the top of the list. :) The problem with the whole "this is the only logical way to do things" perspective when designing tools for the arts is that creative people are a) very often not technical and b) even more rarely logical.

Believe it or not, if Kemper created an editor with sliders instead of knobs, they'd get tons of support questions about what the sliders were, and how they related to what's on the amp itself. Even though the sliders had the exact same names as the Kemper knobs. So, while operating a knob with a mouse could be seen as less intuitive, it's also less intuitive to represent controls in a different visual manner.

I think the reason that so many companies emulate the hardware interface, knobs, toggle switches (just use a checkbox, dammit!) and all, is due to the target audience. Someone who's technically inclined will figure out how the mouse works on a knob in about five seconds, retain that information, and then go on to use the program. Those who aren't as comfortable with technology would be confused by a different visual layout and, because they're not techie to begin with, would have a harder time figuring things out on their own.

So, if you want to reduce support calls, make it as easy as possible for the people who will struggle the most. The more adept will figure it out on their own.

Yeah, it bugs me when I'm working on software and have to "dumb it down." But over the years I've lost some of my technical arrogance and have come to understand that not everyone spends their days staring at a computer screen becoming accustomed to its eccentricities.

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

• good idea on the floating windows

• When you're talking about people who are not normal, musicians shoot right to the top of the list. :) The problem with the whole "this is the only logical way to do things" perspective when designing tools for the arts is that creative people are a) very often not technical and b) even more rarely logical.

You're not wrong there Chis :D

Believe it or not, if Kemper created an editor with sliders instead of knobs, they'd get tons of support questions about what the sliders were, and how they related to what's on the amp itself. Even though the sliders had the exact same names as the Kemper knobs. So, while operating a knob with a mouse could be seen as less intuitive, it's also less intuitive to represent controls in a different visual manner.

No problem. Make the background a picture of a knob with a logical slider on top of it when you go to adjust it ;)