Rig Manager 3.0 Editor

• Win7 has less than a year of life left.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-u…/end-of-windows-7-support

I was one that was holding onto Win7 as long as I could. A hard drive crash, gave me the opportunity for a clean install, and decided to give Win10 a shot. There are some differences, and some annoyances, but overall, I like it. Things seem to be way too "dumbed down" for any IT professionals, but I guess it's more for casual users than IT Pros.

Overall, I don't miss Win7 at all.

• we support what makes sense from various standpoints. it's not necessary a good idea to start developing something and use deprecated/old technology right from the start. of course, we have no plans to exclude older versions unless we feel that it is necessary. macOS 10.9 is a borderline case, can't promise anything right now. for windows, it will be 8 or higher. there might be a chance that new rig manager version will continue to work with e.g. windows 7 but the editor part will be not visible in this case.

There are still quite a large number of Windows 7 Kemper users, so I would urge development to include it.

• I have Windows 10 installed in a VM, and while there are some improvements I like, I have no plans to upgrade the host machine until Microsoft officially stops supporting it. Everything I use in Windows 7 is functioning perfectly right now.

• Look - the driver model for Vista 64 onward is the same. The platform is not really a whole lot different that it was 11 or 12 years ago - eg Windows Server 2008 was Win 6.0 as was Windows Vista.

Win 7 is Windows 6.1 and Windows 8 is Windows 6.2.

If you are supporting Win 8, why not Win 7? If Rig Manager runs on Win 7, why shouldn't the editor? My older machines are Quadcores with 16 GB and they have lots of licensed software on them. When I have to buy/build new machines I will probably put 10 on them but since every bit of audio software I use continues to support Win7 that isn't going to be before Intel gets its 10 nm process going.

• According to a survey released this year by Netmarketshare, Windows 10 users comprise 39% of the Windows user base while Windows 7 users comprise 36%. Only 4.45% use Windows 8.1. Given those figures, why wouldn't the company support Windows 7? There's only a 3% difference in the number of users between the two.

• My win10 experience pushed me onto linux; the hdd seemed to be running a lot and I didn't appreciate the forced updates and, of course, the mandatory telemetry. Fortunately, I've got a little old netbook running win7 starter that handles the current version of the rig manager quite well.

The preview of the editor looks great, though, and I'm glad that the people who wanted it are getting it. I'm more interested in the preset management, so will hopefully get that firmware update before the win7-supported rig manager version gets the heave-ho.

• I am a bit worried that CK reads this thread, throws his hands up in utter exasperation, and calls the whole thing off.

We are finally getting an Editor, wonderfully integrated into Rig Manager...something people have been asking for and crying for years. Now, that it is coming, for absolutely FREE...and already the whining and complaining has begun.

• Wish there were plans for the new gizmo to run on an iPad. My iPad is already an integral part of my live rig and being able to access the inner workings of the Kemper from it would be fantastic! I then wouldn't have to be concerned about Windows 7 functionality. Anyone know the minimum macbook specs? May have to go that route if the iPad is not planned to be supported...

• Windows 7 is coming off extended support at the beginning of 2020, so it would be foolish for them to commit resources to it. I feel your pain if you're still on it, but I disagree that it's somehow superior to Windows 10.

I suspect their backlog has Mac OS, Windows 10, iOS, and possibly Android as a future dev.

• There is more than one reason to stop support for Windows 7. As long as we support it, we need to maintain our testing and development machines running that OS, and from January 2020 on, they will become vulnerable to any security breach that is discovered later on. Additionally, Windows 8 and above provide some internal improvements that sped up editor development, though they are not directly visible in the product. Rig Manager will still run on Windows 7 for quite some time, only without the editor. We won't actively prevent Rig Manager from running on Windows 7, but official support and testing will end January 2020 at the latest.

• I am a bit worried that CK reads this thread, throws his hands up in utter exasperation, and calls the whole thing off.

Don't worry !

I think that a man who builds such a company does not get carried away by reviews in the forum.

It really hits a certain number of users.

I am sure that he already knew this before.

We are finally getting an Editor, wonderfully integrated into Rig Manager...something people have been asking for and crying for years. Now, that it is coming, for absolutely FREE...and already the whining and complaining has begun.

Firstly, can you name one company that makes a modeling product that charges for their editor? Secondly, considering the amount of time the development team has put into development of this editor, I doubt Christoph would terminate it simply because some people expressed their desire for Windows 7 support. Lastly, Windows 7 comprises almost half of Windows users, and that translates to a lot of Kemper users at the moment.

• According to a survey released this year by Netmarketshare, Windows 10 users comprise 39% of the Windows user base while Windows 7 users comprise 36%. Only 4.45% use Windows 8.1. Given those figures, why wouldn't the company support Windows 7? There's only a 3% difference in the number of users between the two.

The survey doesn’t mean much any longer once support for Win 7 ends.

Surely the 39:36 percentage will change drastically towards Win 10 then, because the majority of users will only switch to the newer OS if they're forced to (and end of support is a driving force for sure).

• The survey doesn’t mean much any longer once support for Win 7 ends.

Surely the 39:36 percentage will change drastically towards Win 10 then, because the majority of users will only switch to the newer OS if they're forced to (and end of support is a driving force for sure).

Of course, but I think many will hold out until the very end. Personally, I think they should offer continued support for people who are willing to pay for it.

• Firstly, can you name one company that makes a modeling product that charges for their editor? Secondly, considering the amount of time the development team has put into development of this editor, I doubt Christoph would terminate it simply because some people expressed their desire for Windows 7 support. Lastly, Windows 7 comprises almost half of Windows users, and that translates to a lot of Kemper users at the moment.

Hello ColdFrixion,

My opening sentence was meant as hyperbole, and tongue-in-cheek.

Nevertheless, i imagine it might be frustrating to the Kemper development, design and support team to read some of these comments. I am not pointing at any specific comments/complaints/demands...I am speaking in general. It is not my attention to offend anyone.

• and already the whining and complaining has begun.

Nobody moans here and complains. From what I understand the topic was created so that everyone can express their expectations. For Team it is also a good thing to know what users will expect - because they do not do it for themselves. For me, windows 7 is a grateful system but it actually looks like it's time is running out.

In addition windows 10 and 8 can work on tablets.

As I understand that due to the use of a specific library/API, it will not be possible to run the editor on windows 7.