Rig Manager 3.0 Editor

• Kemper Amps has considered this possibility. They had mentioned some time ago the idea of being able to tweak an "alias" of a preset.

So for example, you have a certain bunch of FX that you have created presets for and named them.

Now, when you edit this preset as an "alias", all rigs that use this preset will be modified.

They'll probably give it to us when we least expect it.

• Ahh... but the alias and/or the parent Rig would still be loaded into the KPA's edit buffer whilst being edited, AJ.

If you read the discussion between Gary and myself on the previous page, all will become clear. You quoted post #332, but he and I discussed it from post #333->340.

This was all about offline editing. No KPA edit buffer required... or even a KPA.

• An end around is utilizing the lock feature for whatever you want global? Unless I'm not understanding the feature request correctly.

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." - Douglas Adams

• The request most-recently discussed is that of being able to edit Rigs "offline" in RM, meaning that you'd not have to have your KPA plugged-in, Don.

More-specifically, the ability to select multiple Rigs in RM and make wholesale changes to settings / parameters en-masse using the forthcoming Editor component of RM.

• Yup.

I like the concept of fx chain (as in I want a comp then a boost and post stack I want trem, delay and reverb. I only want the reverb on but the others are loaded ready so I can hit the remote and they are there).

Then the ability to just select 30 profiles in Rig Manager and ‘apply’. Then save as.

That’s one ‘for instance’ :)

• I can't see it happening since the KPA allows you to fill in slots A, B, C, D, X, Mod, and Dly with whatever you want. How could you possibly do a global change to slot A unless it had the exact same effect loaded into it across all rigs? This is one of the reasons I switched to outboard effects. The 7 slots I'm using are the same across the board. Modulation, delay, and reverb are now external so they can be adjusted on the fly depending on the mood.

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." - Douglas Adams

• How could you possibly do a global change to slot A unless it had the exact same effect loaded into it across all rigs?

Exactly, Don, and that's the point, at least where FX are concerned. We tend to settle on certain standards that we like, and so far the only option we've had is to lock slots in the states we desire and go from there. The examples Gary and I shared were ones where we'd effectively(!) be able to make those overrides permanent.

Same goes for Cabs.

Additionally, the "exact same effect" thing you mentioned wouldn't apply to Amp and Stack parameters 'cause they're identical across all Rigs. You might like a certain amount of Amp Compression and / or "pick emphasis" that you always seem to dial in to similar levels, for example.

The more you think about it, the more time-saving measures should spring to mind. At least, they do for me and I'm guessing Gary too.

• Maybe I'm the odd man out, but I just don't tweak my rigs very much. I have my "go to" rigs these days and just turn on the KPA and play ...

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• I don't tweak the amps or rigs that much with the Kemper, but I wonder if that's a product of the UI being the way it is right now rather than because the sound is right.

Obviously what you want is for any process to be as quick and painless as possible. i.e. really with rig tweaking you want to be able to quickly make changes. Then equally importantly you need to be able to store and recall those changes fluidly, as in automatically have a duplicate rig made once you start making changes, and have those changes stored in some new preset as you go until you literally change rigs or manually press a "store" button, which should store the current state quickly, with a name already in place (maybe just the existing name with a numeric increase at the end), and then you should be able to edit the names of the rigs afterwards. i.e. I'm very much for streamlined workflow where you don't hit barriers that change pace such as naming screens, instead you focus on one single task till that task is done. And I hope the new rig manager delivers that sort of flow - Quickly make variations of a rig to switch back and forth between, maybe the file management easy, jobs a good-un.

• Maybe I'm the odd man out, but I just don't tweak my rigs very much. I have my "go to" rigs these days and just turn on the KPA and play ...

Well, you won't even need the forthcoming RM 3 Editor then Laz, let alone batch editing.

Lucky bugger. ;)

• You might like a certain amount of Amp Compression and / or "pick emphasis" that you always seem to dial in to similar levels, for example.

Which is where I am with my 5 rigs. Only unique features are the amount of definition and bass cut, and which cab I end up loading.

• Well, you'd be able to relate to the request then, Don.

If you had a hundred or more that you liked and happened to discover that you preferred +1 higher for Amp Compression and 0.5 lower for the pick, you could alter all 100 by selecting them all and adjusting only 2 parameters and hitting save.

That'd be a 10-second procedure vs, well, you can imagine.

• This is a slight diversification from topic but I got a second KPA last year as a backup.
    My intention was to have 1 set up at home and 1 mobile for gigs with duplicate set of info on each.

I only got around to it last week but I have to say that it was a slow pain in the ass to transfer everything ( rigs and Performances ) through Rig Manager.I found that I couldn't transfer more than 80 or so presets at a time or RM would crash.I'm running latest beta.

Hope this will become easier and glitches will be fixed as part of new RM too.

• This is a slight diversification from topic but I got a second KPA last year as a backup.
    My intention was to have 1 set up at home and 1 mobile for gigs with duplicate set of info on each.

I only got around to it last week but I have to say that it was a slow pain in the ass to transfer everything ( rigs and Performances ) through Rig Manager.I found that I couldn't transfer more than 80 or so presets at a time or RM would crash.I'm running latest beta.

Hope this will become easier and glitches will be fixed as part of new RM too.

You could have just made a back up of your first and restored it on the second. Takes a few minutes.

• You could have just made a back up of your first and restored it on the second. Takes a few minutes.

Yep - that is definitely the way to go. I do the same sort of thing between computers with Rig Manager: - if I want the same rigs on another computer, I just backup RM on the first PC and restore it on the second.

• Well, you won't even need the forthcoming RM 3 Editor then Laz, let alone batch editing.

Lucky bugger. ;)

I don't tweak mine much either BUT when I do, I usually want a bulk change.

In other words I find a great cab or great Wah setting, I want to apply it to multiple areas. Totally get it and I'm a +1 for that. I can see its complicated though ( how do you select which slot etc.).

I think this is the issue flyingheelhook had where because each effect or rig is a copy into a performance, having a "master" which you can change is replicated across all uses of that effect or rig. I would re look at this structure so you can decide if each rig is unique or a master copy that you can change to all. For example, I might choose my fav solo rig as a mesa and call it "guys solo". I then want to use this for multiple performances.

I then find that adding a bit more mid and a different cab makes it sound better. I want to apply that change to ALL versions of that sound. So I'd like to be able to:

• On a single view see what rigs are being used in which slots
    • Ensure that I can make a change to that rig that applies where ever its used
    • Be able to replace that rig with another rig ( say Guys solo sound Mk2) with a single click
    • Make global settings that I can apply to some or all rigs e.g change cab for any rigs I choose

....if that makes sense!

• Any inside info on whether the new editor is going to let you get inside of the KPA to do housekeeping of presets? I have a couple hundred IRs I need to delete but will wait if an easy way is coming.

• Right click a knob and enter an exact value.

I'd like a feature like in cockos reaper, where you can right click a knob and enter an exact value, rather than fiddling around trying to get a knob or slider in the right place. Sometimes, rather than by listening, you want to know you're recreating the sound exactly.

Sterling Musicman JP150, Fender USA Strat
    Kemper Powerhead & Remote > ElectroVoice ZLX12-P | Palmer 1x12 Cab(G12M) | Sennheiser HD558
    Audient iD14 > Reaper