Rig Manager 3.0 Editor

• I’m not sure if I suggested this before but.....

A column in the new Rig Manager where you can enter ‘Personal setting’. You could then free text write in the box for the guitar / pickup position you used. Allowing us to sort by this free text column would be good...

You can already do this in the current Rig Manager... There are three text/comments fields for every rig. Rig Comment, Amp Comment and Cabinet Comment...

• There are a few priorities from Kemper that I frankly don't understand. Coding of UI-stuff generally doesn't require more than a fraction of the effort involved in developing algorithms and code for complex audio processing. Personally I appreciate that the KPA has such a functional front-panel, but the market generally seem to prefer some form of editing application. What I think is worse than the lack of an editor is the handling of presets on the unit. Functionality like the preset-management/selection demonstrated at NAMM this year should IMHO have been in place from the start. Even if what you work on in a rig always is just a copy from a preset the system should maintain individual pointers into the list of presets for each FX-slot so that one doesn't have to scroll back and forth in the huge lists as one jump from FX-slot to FX-slot. For efficiency one has to think more about which order to select presets with the least amount of scrolling than about what the most natural workflow would be. Try for example to select first a reverb-preset, then a compressor, a wah and a delay in this order. That takes some patience. If you finally want to adjust your selection for some of these by getting another preset in the same class you're back to scrolling again because there is no pointer to the last chosen preset for each FX-slot.

• Yes, you missed seeing it demonstrated at Winter NAMM :)

At the time, the company said it would be released ‘in the Summer’ so, if that’s still on track, it means late June onwards. It looked really good at the time but since then there have been feedback threads on this forum so it’s possible that it may have evolved due to user feedback / other cool stuff that has occurred to them.

• I don't know that the market prefers an editing application. I think it becomes something of a band-aid for interface design and therefore 'expected'.

Using the interface on many (most?) units is akin to medieval torture. AxeFX being one. Another is Atomic's Amplifires. Menu-diving on a Timeine is fun, right? You *can* do it on-screen, but I for one would rather eat glass. For all practical purposes, it's quite frustrating. Now do some editing on a dark stage, on the fly when your laptop is....elsewhere. *Crap*

With the Kemper you can do all of this last-minute, on a dark stage in a hurry and be effective. Without dragging a laptop around. Even if your degree is in basket weaving and not engineering.

Is it perfect? Of course not. Some of the unit's behaviors and workflows are as annoying as anything. Show me a software interface that doesn't piss you off at some point. This forum's software is an example. I like it, rather clean and tidy. The search function works.....but brings up some massively irrelevant terms, with limited parameter control. But it's still one of the better forum softwares I've used.

Unlike so many other units, you don't *need* a computer to be totally effective and efficient with the KPA.

All that said? Gimme an editor, please. I have a couple use-cases where it's a better fit.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• I am one who does not prefer having to plug the Kemper into the computer to edit profiles or rigs. Unless there are features that the Kemper can only do on an editor, i would not use the editor at all to simplify functions, the Kemper is insanely easy to use for me.

• I don't know that the market prefers an editing application.

People do most things on their computers & phones. Even simple home appliances now come with controllable remotes. The KPA is also branded primarily as a studio tool and many of those people will tell you that for them it's all about workflow. Everything is at their disposal in software form and they don't especially care for needing to have the Kemper either right next to them or go to where it is in order to make minor adjustments that they might as well do the same way they adjust everything else.

There are also TONS of deep editing options that the UI isn't great to learn with IMO. It's still a tiny screen with tiny values and you can still get lost in pages and submenus trying to find or experiment with things. A desktop software would greatly aid in time spend/wasted for those that really want to dive deep into all its functions.

With the Kemper you can do all of this last-minute, on a dark stage in a hurry and be effective. Without dragging a laptop around.

And it's an ode to the UI design, but just because it has a nice benefit in one scenario doesn't mean it's a benefit in all scenarios. A software editor, which you wouldn't have to use if you didn't want, would make it usable in nearly every application.

• People do most things on their computers & phones. Even simple home appliances now come with controllable remotes. The KPA is also branded primarily as a studio tool and many of those people will tell you that for them it's all about workflow. Everything is at their disposal in software form and they don't especially care for needing to have the Kemper either right next to them or go to where it is in order to make minor adjustments that they might as well do the same way they adjust everything else.

There are also TONS of deep editing options that the UI isn't great to learn with IMO. It's still a tiny screen with tiny values and you can still get lost in pages and submenus trying to find or experiment with things. A desktop software would greatly aid in time spend/wasted for those that really want to dive deep into all its functions.

And it's an ode to the UI design, but just because it has a nice benefit in one scenario doesn't mean it's a benefit in all scenarios. A software editor, which you wouldn't have to use if you didn't want, would make it usable in nearly every application.

I don’t think anyone is disputing the fact that an editor will be useful in some circumstances for some people. However, I have to agree withe Ruesfus and IanRubbosh that I would much rather use a physical interface whenever possible. Prior to the KPA I had various analog pedals etc with iPhone editprs (TC Hall of Fame etc). In most I played with the editor on my phone for the first couple of days then gave up and went back to twiddling knobs.

The new editor looks really excitint to ke for the ability to manage presets etc so I am eagerly awaiting it but I still expect to twiddle onobs instead of connect a laptop of iPad to tweak sounds.

• 1) I'd love to be able to tweak my sounds from playing position, by grabbing my mouse with my right hand like I do with all of my PC based music software. Not having to lean forward or turn to the side.

2) I keep my workstation clean, but I can't stick the KPA under the desk or out of the way because 1)

• because it has a nice benefit in one scenario doesn't mean it's a benefit in all scenarios.

I never once suggested it was a benefit in all scenarios. Nor did I suggest the editor wasn’t needed.

In fact, I *did* say “Gimme an editor, please. I have a couple use-cases where it's a better fit.

I’m the studio it may make more sense to have an editor. I suspect many will opt not to use it, and many will.

Personally, I enjoy the tactile feel of the front panel. Since I use it live, knowing how to rip through the UI is important.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• I am one who does not prefer having to plug the Kemper into the computer to edit profiles or rigs. Unless there are features that the Kemper can only do on an editor, i would not use the editor at all to simplify functions, the Kemper is insanely easy to use for me.

Ok and thats your choice of course, but what if your DAW/computer is on one side of the room, and the KPA is on the other? How easy is it going to be for you to lay down tracks while adjusting on the KPA then? THAT, is why I want and need an editor. Not all will need that setup, but many will. AND another useful tool is always good to have even if you don't use it much.

If you use FRFR the benefit of a merged profile is that the cabinet is totally separated in the profile.

For my edification only... ;) Kemper/Axe-FX III/ Quad Cortex user

• Ok and thats your choice of course, but what if your DAW/computer is on one side of the room, and the KPA is on the other? How easy is it going to be for you to lay down tracks while adjusting on the KPA then? THAT, is why I want and need an editor. Not all will need that setup, but many will. AND another useful tool is always good to have even if you don't use it much.

Specifically why I want an editor nowadays, so I can move my Kemper away from my desk. Just too much clutter at the moment, saving that space on my desk will be an excellent thing. It's so crowded that my monitoring situation is suffering.