Rig Manager 3.0 Editor

• You can enable gpedit in Home version.

https://www.itechtics.com/easi…-windows-10-home-edition/

I have Win 10 Home Edition installed in a VM and have used the Group Policy enabler. While the update window did state that group policies had been modified, it didn't actually stop Windows from updating automatically, unfortunately. I don't have Windows 10 Pro or Enterprise, so I can't comment on the efficacy of modifying Group Policies for those editions.

• We don't just let Windows update our user machines (or servers) whenever they want. My team carefully manage updates and server patching so they happen predictably.

On my main home PC I just let it update when it wants, so I get the real world user experience. It's not much of a pain and I prefer not having to manage it.

• That's fine until it wants to update certain hardware drivers automatically.

I haven't had any issues with that.

The only thing close was that my firewire interface never used to work on my old Win7 laptop (that has a firewire port) no matter what I did. Spent many hours trying.

I decided to try again a few months ago now that the old laptop is running Win10 and it just works seamlessly no matter which Win10 release I'm on.

• I will say that I'm pissed off by all software companies choosing to try to trick users into installing/enabling features that are purely for the benefit of the company. Microsoft, Apple, Google, Samsung, Adobe, etc are all guilty of these shenanigans. Topic for another thread - sorry mods.

• I haven't had any issues with that.

The only thing close was that my firewire interface never used to work on my old Win7 laptop (that has a firewire port) no matter what I did. Spent many hours trying.

I decided to try again a few months ago now that the old laptop is running Win10 and it just works seamlessly no matter which Win10 release I'm on.

In my case, Windows 7 Update has a habit of downloading drivers for my audio interface, and that would be okay except for the fact that the driver it wants to install is older than the version already installed. If I didn't have a choice to update, it could potentially create compatibility / stability issues with my audio software.

• Registry settings, are not 'hacks'. Have you tried this software Chris Duncan ?

It wasn't my intention to say that it was bad software.

My point was only that if disabling automatic updates is something that Windows 10 now supports (because it hasn't in the past), there would be a way to do it without third party software. If it's not something MS wants to allow, whatever holes that third part devs find will likely be plugged in the next update. I saw several rounds of that when 10 came out, where people found ways to disable a lot of the "phone home" stuff only to have their work circumvented in the next release. That was the arms race thing I was referring to.

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

• I think that you demonize the new system

Microsoft has plenty of demons. :)

And yes, I do mean fully disable automatic updates. That's the entire point of my dialogue. I understand that you're okay with the way they're doing things; many people are. There is nonetheless a risk to automatic updates. The fact that you haven't had one blue screen your box or cause other mischief doesn't mean this sort of thing doesn't happen. It does. I've had a ringside seat.

My corporate IT guys (who are far better at system administration stuff than I am) have still not found a way to completely disable automatic updates, gpedit or otherwise. That's why I was asking if you'd actually tested it (or could point me to a KB article), since you said that it's now possible. I was thinking you might have tried it, verified that it worked and thus could share your experience with others.

• Telling people they can't fully disable Windows 10 updates, is not exactly correct though.

Kemper Powerhead w/remote & Kabinet
    Focusrite 18i8 (2nd Gen) - Windows 10 - Ableton Live - Yamaha HS-8's - DT770 80 ohms

• Corporate IT teams shouldn't permanently disable updates as a policy, even though they can. In amongst those updates are security patches in the cat/mouse game with hackers.

The goal is to patch in the way that disrupts users the least.

Many users think patching is "stupid IT stuff" that blocks their productivity. Same users would leave their laptop on a table at Starbucks unlocked with a business plan onscreen while they go to the washroom.

• I started with MS DOS 3.0

my 1st was a Vic-20, and you loaded the OS with a cassette player. Really.

If you use FRFR the benefit of a merged profile is that the cabinet is totally separated in the profile.

For my edification only... ;) Kemper/Axe-FX III/ Quad Cortex user

• The fact that you haven't had one blue screen your box or cause other mischief doesn't mean this sort of thing doesn't happen. It does. I've had a ringside seat.

OTOH, not installing those service updates may be some of the reasons why people get those BODs. As always, ymmv. :)

If you use FRFR the benefit of a merged profile is that the cabinet is totally separated in the profile.

• I was thinking you might have tried it, verified that it worked and thus could share your experience with others.

http://www.dignited.com/33862/…g-local-group-policy/amp/

I'm using these settings an windows notify me if there are updates to download. You can do similiar thing with driver updates.

• Thanks Damian I would never have found that!!!

• Everybody, back to topic please. No more posts re. windows versions and update policies.

Oops. My bad, I unintentionally started that with my original post about OS support in the editor.

This is me, moving back to topic... :)

• **** STOP ****

;)

Everybody, back to topic please. No more posts re. windows versions and update policies.

Too bad we can't move the whole OS discussion to an "Off Topic" section. Lots of good info for someone. But I totally agree, even remove them to clean this thread up, and keep it "Editor" related.