Rig Manager 3.0 Editor

• But the point is Phil that there are multiple ways to develop and stay level with (or in front of) the crowd. There are also finite resources to achieve progress so any company has to prioritise.

Most companies do it by regularly forcing you to buy new updated products (if you want the latest features). However, the Kemper model is to support existing customers by providing free updates to them without the need to keep buying new stuff. That commitment to supporting existing users and rewarding them for their commitment and loyalty is part of what brings in new customers but ultimately the product stands or falls on what it delivers today not what you hope it might deliver someday.

It seems to me that in the Kemper camp the "product" is the quality of the sounds and whether or not the hardware is robust and reliable enough for mission critical use on the world's stages and studios. They seem to be doing that pretty well on that front. I don't (and I get the impression they don't) see things like an editor as improving the quality of the underlying product. CK and the team appear to have been prioritising their finite development budget on improvements to the quality of the units until now. They don't appear to have viewed the development of a computer editor as something that moves the product forward.

They now seem to have reached a point where they feel the underlying product is pretty damn good and feel developing new products (Stage and Kone etc) plus devoting the time and effort to providing users with an editor is a higher priority than other developments such as improving the FX or giving me direct access to Delay Mix on a dedicated expression pedal; something that to me is about 1,000 times more important than an editor but I'm in a minority so the editor is higher up the development ladder. I'm fine with that. I did my research and knew what I was buying at the time.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against an editor. I don't have a burning need for one but I'll be glad to have the option when one comes along and might find a use for it from time to time. I know others feel more strongly about the "need' and I hope the editor does provide what they want. It will be a nice addition but hardly mission critical compared to sound quality and reliability - a nice to have rather than need to have.

Kemper also have some major issues surrounding the launch of the Stage for both hardware and software. As a company that looks after customers who have bought their products, I can fully understand if their No1 priority just now is to make sure everybody that bought a Stage has a fully functioning piece of hardware that will deliver on the expectations of customers and not let them down in demanding situations such as in the middle of a gig or recording session. That is a mission critical situation for Kemper products and until they have the teething problems from the Stage sorted out I don't think it matters how much anybody shouts about the need for an editor for a product that is working exactly as described at point of sale. I didn't buy a Stage (and probably never will as I just don't get the attraction of the form factor personally) but I would respect the company if they are currently devoting all of their efforts to making sure Stage owners have a robust glitch free piece of hardware. Customers deserve it and Kemper's reputation depends on it. Hopefully, it was just a one off bad batch and they have already identified the cause and implemented strategies to make sure it doesn't happen again .If they have then maybe the editor will arrive before the end of the summer as originally stated .

• Not intending to be harsh.....but....if it’s such a burden....

Sell it.

Ain’t like you don’t have options.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Edited once, last by Ruefus ().

• ????????

• In the old days, you bought an amp or a keyboard and that was it - WYSIWYG.

I bought my Kemper because I knew it would be continually developed and upgraded, which was the USP.

Now with computers, DAWs, VST instruments & FX, and firmware based hardware, everything is a software development process. You only hit the rails when you run out of processing power.

This is the unique benefit of the of digital paradigm, you don't need new hardware every time you write some new software.

• You operate your Kemper using your arse?

• For anyone complaining... please rethink:

- you bought a kemper knowing there was no editor... you bought it anyway... probably because it sounded better than the competition and was simpler to use than the competition despite having no editor (or actually maybe because there was no editor...)

- since the kemper was released they have made countless great upgrades we all got for FREE... incl delays and reverbs which are amazing on any std

- you have not had to buy 2 new sets of hardware unlike with axe...

- now kemper is releasing everything people asked for and still you complain... common, we can wait a few weeks or even months....

• I’m not disagreeing with you, I’m just stating why they need to do some of these things. Because the consumer demands it, and if they don’t its possible that people will leave the platform or not consider it at all. People knew what they were buying but they can also be unreasonable. That’s the nature of consumerism. Although I should add that in general I feel like 99% of the time the consumer is the one that gets the shitty end of the stick. It’s good when a company like Kemper supports the customer, even if I feel that in the end it’s about money.

In regards to controlling the delay mix, can’t you assign a pedal to morph that?

• Kemper also have some major issues surrounding the launch of the Stage for both hardware and software. As a company that looks after customers who have bought their products, I can fully understand if their No1 priority just now is to make sure everybody that bought a Stage has a fully functioning piece of hardware that will deliver on the expectations of customers and not let them down in demanding situations such as in the middle of a gig or recording session. That is a mission critical situation for Kemper products and until they have the teething problems from the Stage sorted out I don't think it matters how much anybody shouts about the need for an editor for a product that is working exactly as described at point of sale.

That's what I think too.

• I’m just stating why they need to do some of these things.

yes, I hear you. However, as a relatively small company they must have finite resources so need to prioritise. They are clearly listening and doing the things consumers are demanding (the Stage, an editor on the way, confirmation that Overdrive/Distortion will be updated at so e point, etc) it’s just a matter of how long it takes them to get there. They have clearly shown that they do listen and even CK himself engages on discussions with consumers. A good example being the request for sweetened tunings in the tuner. CK recently confirmed it would be introduced when they are able but then asked users exactly what they want feature wise from a sweetened tuner option.

but they can also be unreasonable.

you’re not wrong there :D

That’s unfortunately human nature. However, many companies have ended up serious trouble trying to please unreasonable customers and diluting or even destroying what made then a success in the first place. It sometimes takes even more strength and conviction to stick to your vision in the face of public demands than to run around like a headless chicken trying to please everyone. As the saying goes, you can’t please all the people all the time.

In regards to controlling the delay mix, can’t you assign a pedal to morph that?

Yes, I can assign the morph pedal to Delay mix but then morph isn’t available for anything else. My position is that Delay Mix is such a fundamental parameter that it is much more important to me than a dedicated Pitch Pedal or even Volume Pedal. I would want to have the ability to assign a pedal permanently to Delay Mix and possibly even have the option for this to work like Wah > Pitch if there is reverb or delay active it would default to the active FX so you could control Delay mix when there is a delay active but reverb if delay isn’t active. I have asked previously if we could have the ability to send midi CC from the Remote but there is no sign of that happening. For me that is the number one thing missing from Kemper; way above Stage, editor, overdrives etc. But I realise the others have more demand so it isn’t surprising that Kemper focus their energy on the requests with higher user demand.

• Yes, I can assign the morph pedal to Delay mix but then morph isn’t available for anything else. My position is that Delay Mix is such a fundamental parameter that it is much more important to me than a dedicated Pitch Pedal or even Volume Pedal. I would want to have the ability to assign a pedal permanently to Delay Mix and possibly even have the option for this to work like Wah > Pitch if there is reverb or delay active it would default to the active FX so you could control Delay mix when there is a delay active but reverb if delay isn’t active. I have asked previously if we could have the ability to send midi CC from the Remote but there is no sign of that happening. For me that is the number one thing missing from Kemper; way above Stage, editor, overdrives etc. But I realise the others have more demand so it isn’t surprising that Kemper focus their energy on the requests with higher user demand.

Yea, that’s not a massive thing for me. But ultimately it seems that could be fixed by being able to assign pedal function to the pedal per effect, like on the HXFX.

So if you had two pedals you could have Morph 1 or Morph 2 and assign it to those pedals.

I don’t know why they haven’t done it like this, but I nothing about these things.

• Maybe I just missed it, but Im seeing this more as a conversation about how good the KPA is and what is to come that will make it better.

What I don't see is much if any complaining. :)

Kemper way of keeping paying customers up to date with infos just simply sucks!

Ok maybe I missed one or two LOL.

If you use FRFR the benefit of a merged profile is that the cabinet is totally separated in the profile.

For my edification only... ;) Kemper/Axe-FX III/ Quad Cortex user

• I seriously doubt that anyone that is interested in a Kemper will not purchase it because it is lacking Editor software. There are still a lot of things that can be done with plugins/VSTs that a Kemper (or, any hardware for that matter) will probably never be able to do, and that is going to satisfy most folks that have to be glued to a computer screen. I bet there are a ton of players that don't even really take advantage of the Rig Manager.

Again, I'll be the first singing its praises if/when a software editor comes along, but I do not base how much I value what a Kemper is on that. I'd use one regardless.

As an aside, Kemper has much better customer service than most musical equipment manufacturers. I've never had any issues with their email response time...and it wasn't a scripted response. Massive kudos to them for that!

• I seriously doubt that anyone that is interested in a Kemper will not purchase it because it is lacking Editor software.

I have seen quite a people post on forums that say they will not purchase a Kemper because it is lacking an editor, or that are selling the Kemper because of no editor.

• I seriously doubt that anyone that is interested in a Kemper will not purchase it because it is lacking Editor software. There are still a lot of things that can be done with plugins/VSTs that a Kemper (or, any hardware for that matter) will probably never be able to do, and that is going to satisfy most folks that have to be glued to a computer screen. I bet there are a ton of players that don't even really take advantage of the Rig Manager.

Again, I'll be the first singing its praises if/when a software editor comes along, but I do not base how much I value what a Kemper is on that. I'd use one regardless.

As an aside, Kemper has much better customer service than most musical equipment manufacturers. I've never had any issues with their email response time...and it wasn't a scripted response. Massive kudos to them for that!

I guarantee there are people who have looked at a Helix, Axe, Kemper and seen there was no editor and not bought the Kemper. I know because I know people who have said they just can’t be bothered with all the leaning over and twiddling.

• I guarantee there are people who have looked at a Helix, Axe, Kemper and seen there was no editor and not bought the Kemper. I know because I know people who have said they just can’t be bothered with all the leaning over and twiddling.

Then they weren't that serious about purchasing a Kemper. What % of guitar players do you think spend a majority of their time leaning over and twiddling on a computer? Seriously man, there is a segment of society that are tech-literate that love music, but love discussing it more than making it. For the most part, that's great, it populates the forums and we can all share information. But places like The Gear Page don't necessarily represent a large majority of guitarists. Most of the musicians I've encountered, including A-List Pros, aren't really all that obsessive about what they are playing, much less bitching about a lack of software for it. They use whatever tools are necessary because they work. Kemper just happens to stomp a mud hole in everything else and should never, in my opinion, be compared to a modeler. They just aren't the same beast. Software wouldn't change my opinion of that, ever.

• Then they weren't that serious about purchasing a Kemper. What % of guitar players do you think spend a majority of their time leaning over and twiddling on a computer? Seriously man, there is a segment of society that are tech-literate that love music, but love discussing it more than making it. For the most part, that's great, it populates the forums and we can all share information. But places like The Gear Page don't necessarily represent a large majority of guitarists. Most of the musicians I've encountered, including A-List Pros, aren't really all that obsessive about what they are playing, much less bitching about a lack of software for it. They use whatever tools are necessary because they work. Kemper just happens to stomp a mud hole in everything else and should never, in my opinion, be compared to a modeler. They just aren't the same beast. Software wouldn't change my opinion of that, ever.

Well you said anyone who was interested in it wouldn’t not purchase it because there’s no editor, and I’m telling you that a friend of mine who is a working musician was seriously considering it and spent a lot of time messing about with mine and decided in the end that for ease of use that it wasn’t suitable and they went for another product. So there you go.

Some are fine with it, and some aren’t and will go elsewhere. When the editor comes that will no longer be an issue, which is great.

• It’s going to be great to be able to see more parameters at once!

I don’t know how other musicians here do their work, but i mostly do prepare my live shows in front of the computer at home or in the studio. Practicing, putting performances together, match time based fx with the material and so on. It’s going to save me a lot of time so i can’t wait for it to arrive! :)