Rig Manager 3.0 Editor

• Well you said anyone who was interested in it wouldn’t not purchase it because there’s no editor, and I’m telling you that a friend of mine who is a working musician was seriously considering it and spent a lot of time messing about with mine and decided in the end that for ease of use that it wasn’t suitable and they went for another product. So there you go.

Some are fine with it, and some aren’t and will go elsewhere. When the editor comes that will no longer be an issue, which is great.

I stand corrected. There is at last one person that made their purchasing decision based on editor software...

In all seriousness, it doesn't really matter and to each their own. Like the late great Mitch Hedberg once quipped:

"You can't make everyone happy all of the time and last night they were all at my show!"

;)

• Quote from Wheresthedug

ultimately the product stands or falls on what it delivers today not what you hope it might deliver someday.

What the product delivers today didn't fall out of the sky. In no small part, it's the result of planning with regard to features that the company hoped to deliver someday.

Quote from Wheresthedug

It seems to me that in the Kemper camp the "product" is the quality of the sounds and whether or not the hardware is robust and reliable enough for mission critical use on the world's stages and studios.

Sound quality and reliability are important attributes that help define the product, but they're hardly the only characteristics that delineate it. Features and usability are another.

• you bought a kemper knowing there was no editor

I can only speak for myself, but I've seen the experience mirrored by others, which is that we assumed it had an editor like all its other competitors. Some were under the impression that it was already integrated into Rig Manager.

You could say that we should have done our research, except I did research for 6 months or so before settling on the KPA. I was shocked that there was no editor. At this point you take that as elementary for a digital product, so it did take some getting used to.

probably because it sounded better than the competition and was simpler to use than the competition despite having no editor

I certainly went with it because it was simpler, but I don't know that I felt it was sonically in a different stratosphere.

since the kemper was released they have made countless great upgrades we all got for FREE

This refrain is often cited, but the truth is none of the upgrades are free, they just don't have an upcharge. One has to invest a premium price into the product, and given this is a digital device, the consumer expects upgrades and innovations. Kemper themselves released the KPA originally with a slew of promised upgrades, including Performance Mode (which maybe took a year and a half or so to be released?). Point being, even Kemper realizes the product must grow and mature to remain competitive, and the consumer expects as much.

you have not had to buy 2 new sets of hardware unlike with axe

Nobody has to buy anything. Axe-FX Ultra's still work. Axe-FX II's do, as well. The latter still being supported with software updates.

now kemper is releasing everything people asked for and still you complain... common, we can wait a few weeks or even months...

I wouldn't be so bold as to say everything, but certainly the editor was a big thing, and the floorboard for many players. There are some who have gotten impatient and frustrated, some to a disproportionate degree. Frankly, I stopped worrying about an editor a couple years back because the frustration wasn't worth the energy. Then I saw what they showed at NAMM and left incredibly underwhelmed after people clamoring for years. I certainly hope they add to what was shown, but if it's as demonstrated at NAMM, there's no reason to use it over ToastME, which would be more comprehensive as a full scale editor.

• One of the outstanding virtues is the amazing stable design of the original hardware and the manner in which Kemper has managed to update it for an extraordinary period of time. When the next major update arrives it will literally be the equivalent of being able to update an iPhone 3G to IOS13. (oh I know that is a different basis for comparison but I draw the point that the hardware is so good that they has never been an upgrade)

Over in Fractal land they keep re-inventing hardware to find new and painful ways to spend cash.

Don't worry we have it good!

• What % of guitar players do you think spend a majority of their time leaning over and twiddling on a computer?

A significant portion, especially the younger generation that has grown up with digital gear, editors, computer editing software, etc. It's not unusual at this stage, and given how many people have taken the leap from analog to digital, that number only increases.

Kemper just happens to stomp a mud hole in everything else and should never, in my opinion, be compared to a modeler. They just aren't the same beast.

I don't understand the allergy to comparing it to a modeler on this forum. In every other facet, it sensibly is. Profiling as a means to emulate a signal chain is a unique way of accomplishing that. Once you get past the methodology, it's no different. Amp simulation, cab simulation, effects modeling, light-weight all-in-one digital processing, can be edited and controlled on a desktop computer, etc. Even aside from the functionality, the Kemper competes directly with modelers for the consumer. When we all were looking at digital solutions, we compared a slew of them, including the KPA. It's very much in the exact same orbit.

• One of the outstanding virtues is the amazing stable design of the original hardware and the manner in which Kemper has managed to update it for an extraordinary period of time. When the next major update arrives it will literally be the equivalent of being able to update an iPhone 3G to IOS13. (oh I know that is a different basis for comparison but I draw the point that the hardware is so good that they has never been an upgrade)

Over in Fractal land they keep re-inventing hardware to find new and painful ways to spend cash.

Don't worry we have it good!

I wouldn't categorize their upgrades as just "spending cash". The Axe requires more processing power for the wide range of things it does that the Kemper does not. Kemper's signal chain is more limited, it doesn't allow for dual-profiles (as CK said it would tax the processor too much), and a great number of other considerations like the library of effects and deep-editing tools.

This isn't to say Kemper has to do these, and clearly they don't see the need for all of it, but let's not frame it like Fractal is just wasting time and energy. In fact, the frequency of updates is something Fractal users seem to quite like, as it shows the company is constantly improving the product. Given, not nearly all of what they add will ever be used by a single guitar player, but it's admirable that they try and cover as many bases for as many players as possible.

• Over in Fractal land they keep re-inventing hardware to find new and painful ways to spend cash.

This is off-topic, but you make it sound like the Axe-Fx III is nothing more than a cash grab. Truth is, the unit is a legitimate and extremely worthy successor to the Axe-Fx II, and I don't regret buying one, even for a second. Fantastic unit.

Anyway, this isn't an Axe-Fx vs. Kemper thread, so back to the topic.

• Over in Fractal land they keep re-inventing hardware to find new and painful ways to spend cash.

Only if ‘latest and greatest ‘ is a thing for you. Old Fractal products command a solid price used.

Fractal does some things better than Kemper. Effects being the most obvious.

Just a different way of getting it done.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• Fractal does some things better than Kemper. Effects being the most obvious.

I wish there were even more competition between the Guitar Processor Gods. Why? It only makes it better for the players (us). :thumbup:

If you use FRFR the benefit of a merged profile is that the cabinet is totally separated in the profile.

For my edification only... ;) Kemper/Axe-FX III/ Quad Cortex user

• A significant portion, especially the younger generation that has grown up with digital gear, editors, computer editing software, etc. It's not unusual at this stage, and given how many people have taken the leap from analog to digital, that number only increases.

Guitar sales have gone down across the board pretty consistently over the last decade, year-by-year. Mainstream music hasn't been significantly guitar-driven for quite sometime, while iDevice sales, softsynths and computer-driven music have been on a steady incline. Is there a parallel or connection? Probably so. In fact, a pure leap from analog to digital really wouldn't involve a guitar at all, as the guitar, as we all think of it, is 100% analog.

Most of what constitutes popular music nowadays is nothing more than Ableton Live. Sad, but, unfortunately, true.

• Guitar sales have gone down across the board pretty consistently over the last decade, year-by-year. Mainstream music hasn't been significantly guitar-driven for quite sometime, while iDevice sales, softsynths and computer-driven music have been on a steady incline. Is there a parallel or connection? Probably so. In fact, a pure leap from analog to digital really wouldn't involve a guitar at all, as the guitar, as we all think of it, is 100% analog.

Most of what constitutes popular music nowadays is nothing more than Ableton Live. Sad, but, unfortunately, true.

That might be the case in chart music, but you're speaking to the wrong crowd here. We are all guitar enthusiast and there are still a lot of guitar based music fans too - especially in rock and metal.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

• On the plus side, if you're young enough, there's going to be an awful lot of awfully good guitars flooding the market. Only the rarest and those of historical value are going to be worth anything. Like diamonds, people think they're valuable until you realise just how many are out there.

• On-topic: do we think the 3.0 editor ships before Summer officially ends in late September?? ?

The way I see it, with my glass half full, is as follows.

There have been an awful lot of issues with the Stage, bugs in the OS7 Beta and the RM update to run it.

Normally the Kemper team would issue a bug fix within hours but they haven't this time. In some of the threads the answer has been "our engineers have found the problem and it will be fixed in a future update".

That leads me to believe that they are so confident of hitting the September deadline for RM3 and the OS7 that will run with it that are just waiting a few extra days to roll it all out together rather than release bug fixes in stages. ^^

• On-Topic: I hope it ships before the end of Summer for any and everyone! Do I think it will? Well, who really knows.

Still Summer technically so it's within the timeframe, but none of us know the inner workings to say. It's mere wishful thinking to make suggestions.

I will say if the Stage is any indication with the new OS, it's a bit discouraging.