Spin-Off Off-Topic posts in Rig Manager 3 thread

• There are (real) guitars on albums from so many popular artists today(eg. Taylor Swift, Ed Sheeran, Khalid, etc.), it's ridiculous.

Be that as it may, where are the Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Pete Townsend, Jimmy Page, Eddie Van Halen, Ritchie Blackmore, Tony Iommi and Randy Rhoads of today?

I'm sorry man, today's popular music doesn't rate to the 50's-90's. Popular music has become one massively bland genre with zero passion and heart. It goes beyond commercialization now, but, yes, writers can still write hooks, however derivative and homogenized it all might be.

• Be that as it may, where are the Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Pete Townsend, Jimmy Page, Eddie Van Halen, Ritchie Blackmore, Tony Iommi and Randy Rhoads of today?

I'm sorry man, today's popular music doesn't rate to the 50's-90's. Popular music has become one massively bland genre with zero passion and heart. It goes beyond commercialization now, but, yes, writers can still write hooks, however derivative and homogenized it all might be.

You're continuing to veer off-topic, but there is something worth mentioning. Cynical feelings about what was old vs what is new and basically parroting the Washington Post is opinion, not fact. Plenty of modern players inspiring new musicians along with new, growing guitar companies. You just either don't see them or aren't interested, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

• Be that as it may, where are the Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Pete Townsend, Jimmy Page, Eddie Van Halen, Ritchie Blackmore, Tony Iommi and Randy Rhoads of today?

I'm responding to the claim that most of what constitutes popular music nowadays is nothing more than Ableton Live, the implication being that guitar is, by and large, nowhere to be found, which isn't true.

• You're continuing to veer off-topic, but there is something worth mentioning. Cynical feelings about what was old vs what is new and basically parroting the Washington Post is opinion, not fact. Plenty of modern players inspiring new musicians along with new, growing guitar companies. You just either don't see them or aren't interested, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

I don't read the Washington Post and I didn't formulate my response as anything other than opinion, not fact. It is curious to me, though, that my 15 year old's guitar heroes are the same heroes I had at 15, even though I've, quite literally, never explicitly exposed him to any of them, sans Hendrix, of course.

Apologies for veering off topic.

• I'm responding to the claim that most of what constitutes popular music nowadays is nothing more than Ableton Live, the implication being that guitar is, by and large, nowhere to be found, which isn't true.

Sure, it can be found....as Ableton Live loops! ;)

Least we digress and I piss the mods off by zigging and zagging with the topic, I'm giving you a hard time.

I disagree completely with the idea that today’s Pop music is without passion and heart. Some of it? Sure. Just like in the 50s-90s. Some of it.

You may not like their music, but the current Top 40 in America comprise named like The Jonas Brothers, Taylor Swift, Khalid, Ed Sheeran and Katy Perry.

None of them deserve the criticism you’ve leveled. They’ve all been far too successful for far too long to be equated with homogeneous pop music.

Just because they (all) don’t play guitar or feature it is irrelevant.

On-topic: do we think the 3.0 editor ships before Summer officially ends in late September?? ?

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• Well, for the Northern Hemisphere folks, we have a mere ~34 days to wait... for those in the Southern Hemisphere... and let's hope they didn't mean when Summer ends THERE (Nicky, Kiwi-Ashweth, and other Southerners, please confirm)... well, you are going to be waiting 'til the last day in February. See... things could ALWAYS be worse.

I think Tom Petty may have written a song about this... I hate him and his music.. but he had a point, "The Waiting Is The Hardest Part". ;)

Hugs and smooches,

Jeffro in Houston

Shred 'til yer dead,

Jeff in Houston

• Man, I bought a Fender Bassman 50 head plus its matching cabinet from 1972 in mint condition, recently. I just could not keep my eyes from it. But you know, the User Interface really sucks and Fender still haven't give their customers an EDITOR AFTER ALL THESE YEARS!!! Fender remains so silent about an editor for my Bassman... they suck.

... oh how I used to shout only half a year ago about bad Kemper that did not give me a Floor unit and about being so silent about everything... just like above members do in this thread. But a new floor unit happened overnight a few months later and now I am only thankful that I am part of this community and this company. The editor will come overnight. I don't need it that much but maybe it will make workflow easier. Maybe not. I have created so many performances just from the panel and it is so easy for me. Just get used to it if you haven't done so. Really, creating a patch from the front panel of my Kemper is easier for me, personally, than it was with my Helix. You know why? Because every f***** amp you load immediately sounds good.

Better have it and not need it, than need it and not have it! - Michael Angelo Batio

Edited 2 times, last by Alienator ().

• I have created so many performances just from the panel and it is so easy for me. Just get used to it if you haven't done so. Really, creating a patch from the front panel of my Kemper is easier for me, personally, than it was with my Helix.

How close is the Kemper situated in proximity to where you play?

• How close is the Kemper situated in proximity to where you play?

Always nearby, about 1-4 meters. Until recently a used a rack version on wheels with also everything else I used in it (In ear, FX)

Better have it and not need it, than need it and not have it! - Michael Angelo Batio

• Nice Bassman!

The Jonas Brothers, Taylor Swift, Khalid, Ed Sheeran and Katy Perry.

Ouch. Can you get any more sarcastic? :P

I think it's a great time for music itself, thanks in large part to kit like the Kemper. You can make something great sounding in your home. But it's a pretty lousy time for curation, to be a fan, to find common ground in or talk about music. Sure everyone can say "Hey I also liked Warbly Jets" or "Billy Eilish loves her avocadees and bananees", but stray any further off the tracks to any of the amazing artists out on social media and sites like Bandcamp and you're gonna be the lonely nerd in the corner, and that's not good for music as an industry.

but the current Top 40 in America comprise named like The Jonas Brothers, Taylor Swift, Khalid, Ed Sheeran and Katy Perry.

Not trying to be mean and different strokes n all, but I guess Im just an old "fuddy duddy". I couldn't name you one single hit any of them ever made. Now you wanna talk about Skynyrd, Deep Purple, The Doors, ZZ Top, Jeff Healey, and don't forget the Stones and Beatles, then we got something to discuss. ;)

If you use FRFR the benefit of a merged profile is that the cabinet is totally separated in the profile.

For my edification only... ;) Kemper/Axe-FX III/ Quad Cortex user

• Not trying to be mean and different strokes n all, but I guess Im just an old "fuddy duddy". I couldn't name you one single hit any of them ever made. Now you wanna talk about Skynyrd, Deep Purple, The Doors, ZZ Top, Jeff Healey, and don't forget the Stones and Beatles, then we got something to discuss. ;)

All that establishes is that you don't pay mind to the current music industry or pop culture. Not that you have to, and god knows I ignore my fair share, but taking that further just comes off as "get off my lawn".

• I don’t know what you guys are talking about. There’s a zillion guitar based bands and acts killing it that aren’t Ed Sheeran and Taylor Swift.

St Vincent

Greta Van Fleet

The War On Drugs

Raconteurs

Catfish & The Bottlemen

Deap Valley

Goat Girl

Haim

Arctic Monkeys

Etc etc.

Then you’ve got some older but not ancient bands that are still very relevant like;

Muse

Kings of Leon

Foo Fighters

Weezer

Black Keys

Florence & The Machine

Jack White

Radiohead

And on and on and on and on.

Guitar music isn’t dead, most people just stop looking for new music when new music starts to pass them by. If you want to find new music, open Spotify, click on an alternative playlist and start finding new music. It’s not hard.

Now, back to topic!

• Always nearby, about 1-4 meters. Until recently a used a rack version on wheels with also everything else I used in it (In ear, FX)

For a number of people, it's not possible to situate the Kemper nearby. For instance, the Kemper isn't placed anywhere within arms reach in my small studio because I simply don't have anywhere to put it, so adjusting anything on the front panel is extremely inconvenient. The unofficial editor has been a Godsend in that regard. There are also people whose vision is compromised and thus have a difficult time seeing the front panel clearly.