Rig Manager 3.0 Editor

• of course, because we don't even know about such an issue.

With respect - IF we are speaking of the issue where a Mac laptop is connected via usb to a Profiler, running RM, the system crashes both regularly and unexpectedly. I disagree that the issue is unknown. And has been an issue for as long as I've owned my Profiler (years).

• With respect - IF we are speaking of the issue where a Mac laptop is connected via usb to a Profiler, running RM, the system crashes both regularly and unexpectedly. I disagree that the issue is unknown. And has been an issue for as long as I've owned my Profiler (years).

Have you ever reported this to support in official way?

• On my pc, if i turn the kemper off, leave rig manager open, then turn the kemper back on, Rig Manager crashes at least 75% of the time. I didn't flip out about it, but it's definitely an issue i've noticed.

I filed a ticket way back when I first encountered the problem which there never was much feedback for. I've had my KPA since before the first RM was released so I guess that ticket should date sometime within the first month after RM was introduced. Then again more recently (ticket #KA00168926). I even received tweaked firmware for testing last June, but it unfortunately behaved just like before. I sent a description on how I reliably can reproduce the issue within an hour or two, since then I have only used RM briefly to pull a few rigs from the exchange. I submitted another question to the forum to check whether others with different types of computers have the same problems as I do with my Macbook and got confirmations from windows users too. On June 20th I got a follow-up mail with request for further logs which were promptly submitted, but nothing since. I do occasionally test some beta software, but only when I do have the time. Music is a hobby, and I prioritise practise and gigging. I make my living as a software/network engineer, but have no wish to run a software lab in my spare time. I do follow up when I get direct questions about KPA stuff, but mostly I just want to turn it on, play and switch off.

Don't get me wrong. I love my KPA, and even RM when it is used interactively to organise stuff and pull info from the exchange. It is only in a setting where RM may be sitting more or less idle for longer periods of time that the problem occur (recording/rehearsal). Still, it should not be necessary to always have to take care to disconnect the USB-cable from the KPA as soon as you're done with whatever you had to do in RM. It is so annoying during recording or rehearsal when the remote becomes unresponsive and goes into its boot-loop while the KPA gets stuck while playing. Granted, the unit normally keeps on making sound for the rest of the song, but all internal (knobs/buttons) and external controls (switches/exp-pedals) are non-functional until RM is disconnected or the KPA rebooted.

My worry for the editor is that it will be based on the same USB-communications as RM that I'm quite certain is the source of the problem. The KPA can not protect itself from connected gear/software that deliberately abuse functions offered by the KPA, but a malfunction/anomaly in any piece of gear attached to the KPA should not be allowed to affect its function, performance or reliability. If this problem boils down to an unresponsive USB-peer it is still a failure on the KPAs part. Any attempt to send or receive information on the USB-interface must be required to complete within a defined number of milliseconds. If not, then the operation must be aborted.

• Have you ever reported this to support in official way?

Yes, I have reported this issue. There are several threads on this Forum that report a similar problem.

I can reduce the number of crashes by having my Macbook connected to external power and never let the computer sleep, but even that is not certain. I usually leave RM open during rehearsals where a crash is annoying but not critical. During the gig I ALWAYS make sure to disconnect the usb.

I share other's concerns about an editor that relies on a usb connection.

I presume you were trying to make a joke with that comment because you clearly can’t be serious ?

As others have already pointed out it has been a known problem for as long as I can remember. Support tickets have been raised on many occasions so it is inconceivable that you are unaware of this issue.

My last support ticket on the subject was

Re: KPA Freezing (Ticket ##KA00169976) and the response was

there is no immediate solution to this and we will attempt to find a solution in an upcoming software update.

Sincerely,

With best regards,

Marc

Kemper Amps Support Team

Please don’t A) tell lies and

B) treat your customers with such contempt as the rest of your post exhibited, it is unacceptable from a representative of an company let alone one of Kemper’s standing. Burkhard, ckemper, Hans etc (all of whom I have the utmost respect for) would never behave in this manner towards customers.

• ckemper, Hans etc (all of whom I have the utmost respect for) would never behave in this manner towards customers.

Not long ago CK called me a troll for bringing further light to an issue that was already being discussed and had been many, many times on the forum. Mind you, I was being polite and constructive, especially with the person who invented the device I own. I brushed it off, but it can't help but make you think about how a company views and interacts with its customers, especially when the purpose is to discuss imperfections with the agenda to make the product that you own better.

• I can't blame him for being stressed out. The constant public badgering from demanding customers must suck big time.

That said, some people don't lash out when they're stressed. This thread should die...

• B) treat your customers with such contempt as the rest of your post exhibited, it is unacceptable from a representative of an company let alone one of Kemper’s standing. Burkhard, ckemper, Hans etc (all of whom I have the utmost respect for) would never behave in this manner towards customers.

While I understand the sentiment here, as a career salesman I have another perspective. The fact is, there is a limit to the amount of crap I'll take.

NOTICE: The following is not directed at any one person here. If you take it personally, I'm not the least bit sorry. You're really not that special.

The axiom goes: The customer is always right.

The reality? The customer isn't always right. Sometimes the customer is just an a$$.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• The axiom goes: The customer is always right.

The reality? The customer isn't always right. Sometimes the customer is just an a$$.

Well, in this case the customer who was being responded to shared his ticket number, as have others. If the claim was that it has never been brought to their attention, it's been demonstrated otherwise. That's not really being an ass.

• @ Kemper product managers - Why is this release going to be late? What is the new ETA? - a specific date.

Why is it going to be late? There is, in fact, a technical explanation for this.

"Stuff happens." :)

As for "give me a specific date," that's about the worst thing you could possibly ask for. 99.973% of all bugs that you've ever experienced in any software that you've used have been the result of some yahoo announcing an arbitrary date, then insisting that the developers meet it no matter what. Predictably, what happens next is massive overtime, sleep deprived programmers (because you really want the code we write at 3 AM when we haven't slept in months), and ultimately a piece of software that was released way before it was ready. All because someone pulled a date out of his posterior and demanded that the software be shipped at that time.

The correct way to do this is to write the software and then, when you know it's done, announce the release date. Of course, hardly anyone can sell that to upper management because they want to create buzz in the marketplace. The fuzzy date that Kemper offered still causes more problems than it solves (no offense, guys), but at least they didn't pick an arbitrary date that's set in stone. "End of summer" is easily translated to "End of summer-ish" by most people, which gives them a little wiggle room.

In the software biz, if you want dates that are any more precise than that your best bet is to buy a Ouija board and burn some incense. This isn't an exact science, and the number of unknowns for even a modest software system are vastly greater than anyone but developers understand.

Not picking on you, of course. I just do this stuff for a living and periodically the insanity of how the business is run makes me want to find the nearest marketing guy and beat him senseless with a Nerf bat. Then I have another cup of coffee and go back to coding. :)

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

I just do this stuff for a living and periodically the insanity of how the business is run makes me want to find the nearest marketing guy and beat him senseless with a Nerf bat.

Add in time restraints and contractual release dates and I'll furnish the bat for ya.

"Well those drifter days have passed me now, Ive got so much more to think about-

Deadlines and commitments, what to leave in, what to leave out... Against the wind..."

If you use FRFR the benefit of a merged profile is that the cabinet is totally separated in the profile.

For my edification only... ;) Kemper/Axe-FX III/ Quad Cortex user

• Add in time restraints and contractual release dates and I'll furnish the bat for ya.

"Well those drifter days have passed me now, Ive got so much more to think about-

Deadlines and commitments, what to leave in, what to leave out... Against the wind..."

Bobby!!!8)

• This thread is so long I don't remember if this is the place to talk about the editor features or not...

In case this the right place to do so, I'd love to have the ability to assign stomps to the remote via the editor. Rather than having to use the traditional hardware method (press profiler stomp button and remote switch at the same time).