Rig Manager 3.0 Editor

• Thank you so very much, G String!

Fantastic to know that "all features have been implemented". This information alone must surely reassure those who've become pessimistic about the release timeframe and indeed some who seemed to think it was vapourware.

It's obvious from everyone's comments that you're our new man of the moment and that our loyalty and goodwill towards the company is second to none. Long live Kemper! <3

• Hey Chris not to derail stuff about the editor, but I'm curious as to why do you list a "Powered Toaster" and a DXR-10? Isn't the DXR-10 itself a powered FRFR speaker? So you wouldn't need a powered KPA... ?

If you use FRFR the benefit of a merged profile is that the cabinet is totally separated in the profile.

For my edification only... ;) Kemper/Axe-FX III/ Quad Cortex user

• Hey Chris not to derail stuff about the editor, but I'm curious as to why do you list a "Powered Toaster" and a DXR-10? Isn't the DXR-10 itself a powered FRFR speaker? So you wouldn't need a powered KPA... ?

Evolution. :)

I first bought the powered toaster and was intending on using it with my Marshall 4x12 in the studio and a single V30 cab for playing out. And it sounded good. Then I started reading about FRFRs. I wasn't even aware of their existence, nor the need for one, when I bought the toaster. Decided to give one a try, and the DXR-10s get a lot of love around here so that's what I got. And of course, it sounds great.

Since they're powered, I don't use the power section of the toaster for that scenario. However, I still have my other speaker cabs and I like the fact that should I choose, I can also turn monitor cab off and run into traditional V30s. Or buy some non-powered FRFRs. And honestly, if I was buying a Kemper today, I'd probably still get the powered version for just that reason. Options are nice.

Of course, with the new editor, it will be that much easier to tweak things for the two different scenarios (see what I did there?) :)

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

• Reason #1 kazillion why software verification and validation should never be undertaken by anyone who had the remotest (Is that a word?) knowldege of the product or application being developed. I can't tell you how many times we got screwed when the apps team was forced to verify their own code and the minute it got released into the wild, it was Problem Report Central. Conversely, when we farmed V&V out to foreign country test houses (I'm looking at you, India, and you, Bulgaria), we got a kazillion bugs filed... even if they were the most remote of corner cases. "No, 'David' (I know that's not your real name, Srinivasan, so stopping calling yourself that!), no one is going to ever try to do that with the application. Failing our code for something that literally is beyond stupid is not a valid bug!" You'd think they got paid per bug or something.

#ahhhhmemories

Ugh... all of this talk of software and bugs is giving me PTSD. I'm going back to pretending to work at my day job. ;)

Jeffro

Shred 'til yer dead,

Jeff in Houston

• Reason #1 kazillion why software verification and validation should never be undertaken by anyone who had the remotest (Is that a word?) knowldege of the product or application being developed. I can't tell you how many times we got screwed when the apps team was forced to verify their own code and the minute it got released into the wild, it was Problem Report Central. Conversely, when we farmed V&V out to foreign country test houses (I'm looking at you, India, and you, Bulgaria), we got a kazillion bugs filed... even if they were the most remote of corner cases. "No, 'David' (I know that's not your real name, Srinivasan, so stopping calling yourself that!), no one is going to ever try to do that with the application. Failing our code for something that literally is beyond stupid is not a valid bug!" You'd think they got paid per bug or something.

There is a balance isn;t there? I am constantly validating whether the test scenarios are valid...

• Bored from all the " Why don't we have an editor yet" and "Why do you need an editor at all" threads and posts I avoided all Editor threads for a long time. Can someone who is more into this topic tell me whether there is some information yet WHAT the editor will be able to do?

In fact, I'd like to know if it will help my needs:

For ME, I don't need the editor to not have to touch the Kemper and do the same things that I could already do on the Kemper itself.

I need it to do things a lot faster and better than I can do it on the Kemper.

For example:

I got about 40 performances. One for each Song. Most of them only differ in tempo, fx status and delay settings. Profiles are mostly identical (Slot 1 Clean, 2 Crunch...)

Let's say I think my Clean Channel might need a little more Mids. -> Load Performance, Tweak EQ, Save, Next Performance. 40 Times!

Even Worse: Finding some nice new profiles, Try to test them in rehearsal. -> 5 Slots x 40 Performances.... Without knowing if I like to keep those profiles or want to switch back after rehearsal.

The fact that my kind of Performance-Use makes it terrible to easy check new sounds with all the songs/performances is the reason I don't work alot on my sound. Thats sad, because I know I could get a lot more out of my loved Kemper. This is the one thing I miss from my pre-Kemper-Time. I would have tweaked a Channel on the Amp and would be ready. Of course, the Kemper still gives me more advantages than limitations.

Does someone know whether this handling will be better with the Editor?

Would be great to Drag/Drop Or Copy/Paste or draw down (like in excel) Profiles or FX between Performances and Slots without having to store each performance individual.

• Wouldn't the lock feature help here?

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• We will have to wait for the Editor, to be absolutely sure...however, I would imagine that the Editor would allow you to tweak the contents of a certain Slot (for example, changing the Mids on your Clean setting), hitting "Copy", and then highlighting/selecting multiple Slot/Performances at the same time, and then selecting "Paste", then the ability to Store/Save all these changes to the selected slot/performances.

• Does someone know whether this handling will be better with the Editor?

Simply put, we don't know what's going into it. What was shown at NAMM certainly didn't have such a function, but the hope is that it was a preview that will be expanded by the full release. Given how much time it's taken, including delay, let's hope it is much more comprehensive because it would be very helpful in all the ways you spelled out.

But... none of us will know until the beta is released.

• Simply put, we don't know what's going into it. What was shown at NAMM certainly didn't have such a function, but the hope is that it was a preview that will be expanded by the full release. Given how much time it's taken, including delay, let's hope it is much more comprehensive because it would be very helpful in all the ways you spelled out.

But... none of us will know until the beta is released.

MM, the only way you could know that, is if you not only visited the booth, but directly asked that question. Otherwise, we would just be going on video clips showing very small snippets of RM 3.0's functionality. That fact that such functionality wasn't shown in such short, out-of-context demonstrations, does not imply the presence or the absence (one way or the other) of any given function/feature.

• Thursday afternoon. The nervous sweat droplets fall from my furled brow as I anxiously pour over the last 4 pages of the editor thread. No new information. I give a heavy sigh as I close my browser and ask out loud how long a few more days actually is, to no one in particular. The tension in the air is palpable. The throws of owners are becoming restless. I pray that the constant patches and bugfix releases are enough to satiate the wild animals for another night. The bug of being unable to use Rig Manager to change patches while the Rack unit is in tuner mode has reared it's ugly head again. The sun begins to fall below the horizon as the anxiety takes hold of me once again. The morning will bring hope.

• Thursday afternoon. The nervous sweat droplets fall from my furled brow as I anxiously pour over the last 4 pages of the editor thread. No new information. I give a heavy sigh as I close my browser and ask out loud how long a few more days actually is, to no one in particular. The tension in the air is palpable. The throws of owners are becoming restless. I pray that the constant patches and bugfix releases are enough to satiate the wild animals for another night. The bug of being unable to use Rig Manager to change patches while the Rack unit is in tuner mode has reared it's ugly head again. The sun begins to fall below the horizon as the anxiety takes hold of me once again. The morning will bring hope.

Thank you Mr. Hemingway!....I mean McBarfson;)

Thank you Mr. Hemingway!....I mean McBarfson;)

• MM, the only way you could know that, is if you not only visited the booth, but directly asked that question. Otherwise, we would just be going on video clips showing very small snippets of RM 3.0's functionality. That fact that such functionality wasn't shown in such short, out-of-context demonstrations, does not imply the presence or the absence (one way or the other) of any given function/feature.

True, though I did stop by the booth and see it open briefly, I didn't mess around on it. Not sure whether Kemper was even letting people do so. I've seen a few different videos showing it on YT and none expressly covered much more than showing when the values were changed on the KPA they affected the editor, and visa versa, along with the signal chain. I assumed that's because this was an early preview to show at NAMM while it was being fully realized. I think if it had such a functionality, they'd be dying to demonstrate it on the show floor to add more hype and anticipation. Of course this is me making some assumptions, but they seem relatively safe. It's also possible there's a video out there that I haven't seen.