Rig Manager 3.0 Editor

• It's worth noting (because I chimed in) that I am not a developer. I work in sales and marketing. Every instance relative to development that I have been a part of in my professional life has been mainly in communicating. What does sales & marketing need, what does development and logistics need, what does management expect, etc.

Of course things don't always go to plan, and often times buffers are built in, unless something is heightened in importance, like debuting an item at NAMM before you have it in stock or fully developed. This is something I deal with in this industry, as well.

By the same token, hitches in development can significantly damage an items viability if it is delayed or under delivered. Sometimes the question isn't "how much time do you need" and instead "this is how much time we have, what can we do to meet this deadline". In the case of the editor, it's not a do-or-die proposition, but the fact that it wasn't ready for launch along with the Stage has to be a significant failure. Ok, it happens. What no business benefits from is certain expectations not being met with a cavalier attitude that "when it's done, it's done". Maybe Kemper works differently, I don't work there to know, I just speak from my experience in this industry.

• and, as it turns out, is a BOWLING BALL...

There have been meetings where I would have paid good money to have a bowling ball at my disposal. :)

It's worth noting (because I chimed in) that I am not a developer. I work in sales and marketing.

If it hasn't been clear in my previous pokes at your profession (as well as acknowledging that I'm barking at the moon), it's all meant in a good spirit, ala sibling rivalry, if you will. I'm well aware of the fact that the payroll account gets filled by the S&M guys. Wait, that didn't come out right..

As for the Stage, and I say this with much love for the Kemper guys, it's an excellent example of the downside of get-there-itis ("we're going to ship on the xyz date come hell or high water!"). It creates problems that just didn't have to happen.

While many people have had a good experience with the Stage, the kind of hardware defects I've been reading about are, well, embarrassing. Not what comes to mind when I think of German quality. Also, since this is the editor thread, I think that everyone who's questioned a Stage without an editor has an excellent point. I don't know how many people have decided against a Kemper purchase after reading about these things. Probably not a lot, but if it was even one, that's one lost sale that was avoidable.

An alternative approach would be to have a) waited until the Stage was fully baked and the manufacturing process was sufficiently vetted and tested, and b) there was a stable, release version of the editor to go with it. Once both of those boxes were checked, the release of the Stage would have been a much bigger bang.

I realize such an approach would be absolutely scandalous in the tech biz, especially to those S&M guys (looking at you, MementoMori :P). But as I mentioned in my previous comments, the short term thinking of "gotta hit the xyz date!" does have a cost. The Stage / Editor is a perfectly timed illustration of that.

And of course, my comments about the Stage / Editor are in the context of my personal Kemper / Remote experience. They're built like a freakin' tank, have been incredibly stable and are quality of the highest order all around. That's what I think of when someone says, "Kemper." Why on earth would they want someone to think of a Stage, with bits and pieces falling on the floor, when Kemper is mentioned? But then, this is the tech biz, so, you know...

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

• If it hasn't been clear in my previous pokes at your profession (as well as acknowledging that I'm barking at the moon), it's all meant in a good spirit, ala sibling rivalry, if you will. I'm well aware of the fact that the payroll account gets filled by the S&M guys. Wait, that didn't come out right..

I didn't take anything as rude. In different parts of the business where people are pushing and pulling, there's always some level of tension. That can be healthy, but of course not always.

As for the Stage, and I say this with much love for the Kemper guys, it's an excellent example of the downside of get-there-itis ("we're going to ship on the xyz date come hell or high water!"). It creates problems that just didn't have to happen.

It's worth noting that the Stage was never previously announced. If anything could have waited, it was the Stage. Obviously internally they have their own reasons for its release, but I don't understand the logic with all the software and hardware problems that keep creeping up. It's the one thing people did not have expectations for.

lso, since this is the editor thread, I think that everyone who's questioned a Stage without an editor has an excellent point.

100%. For a floor model, that's an absolute must.

An alternative approach would be to have a) waited until the Stage was fully baked and the manufacturing process was sufficiently vetted and tested, and b) there was a stable, release version of the editor to go with it. Once both of those boxes were checked, the release of the Stage would have been a much bigger bang.

I agree. All the problems really killed the hype in short order. There were a lot of forgiving loyal Kemper users on this forum that were patient with the problems, but I've seen other places where people aren't nearly so understanding. You do expect a new product to work out of the box.

But let's not forget that when the Kemper was released back in 2012, it had both been delayed before launch, and after its launch came with a number of promises because it was missing several key features, like Performance mode. I believe that even took some time to be available. In a way, people in Kemperland are more used to pre-mature releases than consumers of its competitors.

• I'm well aware of the fact that the payroll account gets filled by the S&M guys. Wait, that didn't come out right..

Yes it did. It came out exactly right. Admit it.

I always give *certain* companies a wide berth when it comes to feature development, especially when those features are 'free additions' to a product I already own. What I really don't want happening is a cut-rate rig manager to come out and make my experience *less* enjoyable. Personally, I'd love to have the new version out now, but TAKE AS MUCH TIME AS YOU NEED.

In the world of Business Development, Sales and Marketing - it's the developers who are wearing the rubber zipper mask. It's their fault it's late, it's their fault it's untested, it's their fault it doesn't work, and it's never their fault when they sell a million units.

KPA Unpowered Rack, Kemper Remote, Headrush FRFR108s, BC Rich Mockingbird(s), and a nasty attitude.

• You say that, but just look at the complaints about the Stage running on early software. I wonder what happened to the acoustic sim slated for OS7?

I hear you. I'd just be less likely to complain, if I did at all, if I knew I was using beta software.

Edited once, last by munkee ().

• the Stage was never previously announced. If anything could have waited, it was the Stage. Obviously internally they have their own reasons for its release, but I don't understand the logic with all the software and hardware problems that keep creeping up. It's the one thing people did not have expectations for.

Reason #1- they can sell the stage, and those sales fund the development of new features. Without products like the Stage, there would be no RM3.

KPA Unpowered Rack, Kemper Remote, Headrush FRFR108s, BC Rich Mockingbird(s), and a nasty attitude.

• Reason #1- they can sell the stage, and those sales fund the development of new features. Without products like the Stage, there would be no RM3.

Not entirely true. Yes, sales add to the coffers, but these developments were announced prior to it at NAMM in January, meaning it's been in development already as the Stage was being designed & built. Given the short gap of time between them, Stage sales are certainly not what's holding back RM3.

• Reason #1- they can sell the stage, and those sales fund the development of new features. Without products like the Stage, there would be no RM3.

I disagree. First.....RM 3.0 doesn’t exist.

Yet. ?

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• I think the reason that the Editor is taking sooooo long is that all the Kemper staff are too busy reading this thread and having a right good chuckle! For me, it drops when it drops, and I'll be thankful that its a FREE update and I won't have to go out and buy Kemper II XL (which will be out of date in 6 months) to run it! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

• In a way, people in Kemperland are more used to pre-mature releases than consumers of its competitors.

That may well be the case for those who have been around for a long time. I'm a newbie as I've only had mine for a year, and my expectations were the same as for any other music gear I spend $2500 on. For that kind of money I expect quality, and I don't believe that's an unreasonable expectation. Fortunately, quality is exactly what I got. From what I've seen, some of the Stage people didn't get that kind of experience. To be sure, not my problem. I have no need for a Stage and my stuff works great.

Still, I work in the tech biz so it's hard not to have thoughts on the matter, especially since this sort of thing affects me personally in my own jobs. My hunch, and this is absolutely uninformed speculation, is that the Stage was yet another example of a preemptive release. Gotta get it on the streets now, or people might buy the competitor's floor unit. I can't think of any other reason why they would have rushed it, or not waited for the editor.

I didn't take anything as rude.

Yeah, I figured you were a good guy, but courtesy on my part is always worthwhile just the same.

I always give *certain* companies a wide berth when it comes to feature development, especially when those features are 'free additions' to a product I already own. What I really don't want happening is a cut-rate rig manager to come out and make my experience *less* enjoyable. Personally, I'd love to have the new version out now, but TAKE AS MUCH TIME AS YOU NEED.

Completely agree. I think they're absolutely doing it right in terms of the editor. It's going to be a very cool addition, and after the somewhat clumsy Stage release I think a solid RM 3 / editor will return the shine that these guys deserve.

As for the rubber mask, TMI brother... :)

• Funny how everyone seems to be a software developer now.... ;)

Been managing software delivery for 20+ years.

Us lot chiming in shows:

1) Lots of IT folk are guitar geeks...hmmm something in that

2) I imagine there is a higher relative proportion of IT guitar players using the latest tech (Kemper, Helix, Axe etc) as we are in the digital world - no offence to people who use Valves, but its soooo 80 's :)

3) We think we know best about all software development :)

I was reflecting on this yesterday about another topic....user expectations are so high now, which is great in that it drives innovation and competition but also leads to "never satisfied". If a package takes Amazon ( or any other supplier in that market) longer than 1 day to be delivered, its a long time!

Some of the comments about what is expected from a £2000 guitar amp - apply any of this to a Boogie or any other high end product and it falls short. Because the Kemper is a tech product, we expect tech support and responses which in itself is an innovation in this area.

I still feel happy that the product is great, the response from Kemper is generally very good, I feel I've had a say in its product development etc.

Now, finish the editor please so we can have a moan about something else....my bet is dual amps and OD pedals....on and the Kabinet...

Yours "never happy",

V8

• Don't know about the rest of you, but a small part of me thinks the editor should be released on a Friday afternoon just before close of business. Since I work remotely, my KPA is usually a 15 second walk away. If the editor arrives during the business day I'm fairly certain the rest of that day is completely shot.

(Attn Kemper Support:The other part of me is *totally* fine with that, BTW.)

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• If sales & marketing waited for when developers wanted to release something, think of how slow tech and industry would move. That's not a swipe at developers, but their mentality is very different. Sales & marketing bring in hard dollars, which developers benefit from, and when they set a date, it typically reflects a specific reason and strategy rather than just being arbitrary for the sake of it. The date more often is keyed as a way to maximize a number of factors, but chiefly awareness and profitability.

Very good point, a company has to have cash flow. Also design efforts are expensive, and revenue needs to come in to fund that NRE. On top of that, some engineers really have little concept that the money has to come from somewhere, and you can't twiddle a design forever. Eventually you have to man up and sell the design.

OTOH I have seen quite a few sales folks that have little idea how engineering a product works, and in some cases go out of their way to be ignorant of the process, but will then assign an arbitrary date for completion that is forced on the engineers. And they get angry at the laughter that comes from the engineers when this is done.

In small companies, it's always a balance between resources\customer expectations\cash flow\and time. Often there are compromises that have to be made, and some of these criteria can be immobile.

• Very good point, a company has to have cash flow. Also design efforts are expensive, and revenue needs to come in to fund that NRE. On top of that, some engineers really have little concept that the money has to come from somewhere, and you can't twiddle a design forever. Eventually you have to man up and sell the design.

OTOH I have seen quite a few sales folks that have little idea how engineering a product works, and in some cases go out of their way to be ignorant of the process, but will then assign an arbitrary date for completion that is forced on the engineers. And they get angry at the laughter that comes from the engineers when this is done.

In small companies, it's always a balance between resources\customer expectations\cash flow\and time. Often there are compromises that have to be made, and some of these criteria can be immobile.

All very true. Some people can absolutely have lofty or unreasonable expectations, which is why communicating about projects and ideas is an absolute necessity in business. Not being an engineer, I've had wrong ideas of how long a developments would take, but in talking with others can amend certain assumptions and expectations, and thus communicate them to dealers/customers/artists/etc.

Because I don't know the circumstances or inner workings at Kemper, I don't want to make too many assumptions. When it comes to the editor, it's something many others and I have said should have been there from day 1. In the 9 months since WNAMM, I can understand some rustling because that's quite a long time. Developers may go through scenarios in their head, but consumers start thinking about how other competitors have been able to accomplish similar software developments and upgrades in less time and with less hiccups. Or that's the way it would feel.

In any respect, it's been so long that I'm emotionally disinvested. When it's released I'll be pleased, but I'm not checking every day for it to disappoint myself.

• As soon as the plug is plugged into the socket, the Stage will start. Without switching on. When switching off the button must be pressed until the day is completely shut down. That doesn't even work for Apple and Microsoft!

Bug is known and doesn't belong in this thread. Back to the topic. ?

• And they get angry at the laughter that comes from the engineers when this is done.

Hey, we only laughed for a few minutes. I think they're just miffed because we suggested that whatever they were smoking, it was time to share. :)