Rig Manager 3.0 Editor

• Maybe K-Team is working on some kind of marketplace that integrates into the editor where you can test and directly buy from profile-providers that are willing to participate. So maybe any delay has completely other reasons than suggested by some. Just a thought.

That being said I keep staying away from this thread as it helps noone.

Gear: Strats & KPA. Plug Ins: Cubase, NI, iZotope, Slate, XLN, Spectrasonics.
    Music: Song from my former band: vimeo.com/10419626[/media][/media][/media] Something new on the way...

• I can vaguely remember, that in a NAMM video they explained that the editor does NOT cover all possible functions.

I really hope I am wrong or they changed their mind and take the editor serious. Would be a missed change otherwise.

But there are useful ToastME functions, I am afraid we will not see on the official editor (looper with precount for example).

Wow, seriously? If this editor - which we've been waiting for for, what, 9 months now...? - doesn't allow you to actually EDIT everything in the Kemper, it'll be a bit of a lame duck IMO. And editor that doesn't allow you to edit everything... wow.

Hoping it's me assuming things incorrectly, but I'm not holding my breath.

• Actually i really like that we cannot edit every micro setting you could imagine. Kemper is great because it sounds great and it is simple to use. Just like the amps it profiles.

Now that it integrates more effects and functions i can see that an editor could help... amd welcome it. But please keep it simple so we can just play and not feel like software programmers... lol

• Actually i really like that we cannot edit every micro setting you could imagine. Kemper is great because it sounds great and it is simple to use. Just like the amps it profiles.

Now that it integrates more effects and functions i can see that an editor could help... amd welcome it. But please keep it simple so we can just play and not feel like software programmers... lol

I can understand that - but IMO, the editor should be able to do everything you can do via the front of the Kemper.

• It's just my perception, but I highly doubt an integrated market for profiles within an editor would be something kemper thinks is worth doing. I don't see the big need for that myself either.

Personally I believe the delay is due to more or less software bonanza.

For one, kemper does not regularly update people about deadlines, which can give the impression that everything is always "on time". But the internal time frames may be quite relaxed anyway. And perhaps now when the expectation of Summer, Q3, couple of days (whatever the case has been) it's a different ballgame for them.

I am sympathetic to companies that tend to function more "democratically" than others. Kemper at times has given me such an impression, as accurate or inaccurate it may be. But in any case, I do not view it as such a bad thing for them to "take their time", and perhaps not overwork people into oblivion.

Then again this assumes quite a bit too. At times, the issue is not just "overworking", but certain dysfunctional aspects of organizational culture that does contribute to "overworking" anyway. There's quite a bit when it comes to programming practices that can result to this, too. The programmers here will know what a mess at times needs to be tackled.

Fractal had issues when it comes to having a version of Ares run on Ax8 due to a software guy leaving who was (from what I recall) responsible about quite a bit when it comes to ax8. Who knows what the case is with kemper? Updates are also generally slower than these of some others. And kemper is quite an "independent" company to start off with in terms of obligations, is my impression.

Of course, goes without saying that I think digital units should come with editors. Rig manager itself was a substantial step up for kemper. Editor will too, depending on what it offers. At this point, even fb kemper page is filled with comments about editor nearly no matter what the page posts. It's passed the stage of typical "demand". We have dinosaurs walking the forum at this point.

And I don't like giving advice like this as much, but it could probably help many people to forget about the editor for a while. This isn't to repeat the typical "just go play guitar, noob!" meme we've seen for years whenever someone feels like minimizing one issue or another.

It's more about your own mental wellbeing.. at least for some! In terms of energy spent. Personally, I have also felt the anticipation for sure, and checked here often enough, but at this point I've more or less pragmatically forgotten about the issue in terms of energy (mak voodoo k) allocation.

It's contributed to a healthier life :D

The bonanza

• Hardware and software are apples and oranges... Kemper is first and foremost a hardware company ....

I disagree completely. The hardware for the toaster was designed, built and to this day remains unchanged from it's original 2011 release. A new form factor came with the rack and now the Stage. Internally, they're all the same. Heck, the Toaster and Rack to this day still ship with two LEDs for the delay block. Which hasn't been relevant for ages.

CK's gift and the basis for the entire company is the software he and his people develop. If anyone knows the inner workings of the software, it's the people at Kemper.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• The idea that anyone thinks DSP is any different than software is mind-boggling...

Most of the space taken up inside a Profiler is.....empty, save for the power and heat dissipation. Hardly different than exactly what one would find on the inside of a Virus, desktop computer, etc.

SMD at its absolute best, which isn't to knock it. But without internal software, the Profiler wouldn't do anything.

• Sure would be nice to have an official editor already. I hope that it encompasses (and expands) the functionality of Rig Manager. I like the physical device the way it is (powered toaster). But I have so many use cases where editor accessibility would dramatically change the work flow for the better, and in creative ways. It's not just about housekeeping. And I'm still hoping there's a "master drive" in the works (incorporating boost and sophisticated compression, eq and fuzz)—in one stomp. I don't care if it eats-up other resources. I just want to be able to fine tune all those parameters that impact that aspect of a rig in one place. In a way, people make too big a deal about the differences between analog drives. Those differences are pretty subtle. CK & co should be able to create something in the digital realm that gets us in to all the iconic zones and beyond. Every couple months or so I reintroduce analog drives—TS, D-Style, Klones etc—and each time I realize that I really don't want to go back there. Having a deep, easy way to scratch that itch but within the device would put all that to rest, for the most part. Ugh, many of us have been very patient (since really, the KPA gets us to most of these tone spots since day one). Still, it's time.

• Hardware and software are apples and oranges... Kemper is first and foremost a hardware company and if its their regular hardware staff trying to program this then that would explain the 'delays' and we might be in for several more months of them as they muddle through things. If they hired some actual windows and mac software programmers to handle it, then it might be time to rethink who they hired as they don't seem to be able to produce if 'a couple days' turns into 'a couple months'. As a business owner I certainly wouldn't accept that kind of incompetence in my hires and as a software developer I am well aware of what is acceptable and what isn't as far as time frames go. GString promised to update us as he things developed and the fact that we haven't heard anything pretty much means that nothing has developed. I'd love to be proven wrong but I really don't think we will see either the editor or the kone any time this year...

i think youve made an awful lot of assumptions in this quote.

I understand what your saying and other posts have made similar.

But as previously pointed out by other posters, the updates are free to the user, which kind of makes your points mute.

• updates are free to the user

A more appropriate way to phrase this would be "at no additional cost". To have access to updates you must pay a premium price to purchase a KPA, which is by no means cheap. They also add value to the product, which keeps the existing customer base engaged and entices future adopters. It's not as if updates are just a nice gift, they serve a real purpose in regards to profitability.

Many here have made essentially the argument that since it's "free", we have no grounds for expectations. Unfortunately consumers don't operate like that. If they feel a competitor offers a better product or service and gives them more added value, they're likely to invest in that competitor instead. Kemper has every reason to listen and react to the market because customers are fickle, hence why updates like this are absolutely essential.

• Do you think if I leave my Kemper and Macbook out with the milk and cookies on Dec 24, I might have an updated profiler and freshly installed editor courtesy of the fat, happy guy with the glandular problem wearing the red PJ's? Maybe I should just leave out some insulin, instead?

Jeffro

Shred 'til yer dead,

Jeff in Houston

• I agree with what your saying.

What i am saying is the product and company are evolving and we dont know what the original business model was.

For a 'hobby' guitarist ive spent alot of money over the years on gear.

Guitars amps and rack gear. Some of the 90s and 2000s rack gear was comparable price wise.

If you wanted to update that you had to but an chip and plug it in or you would get no update at all.

Add inflation on to a digitech 2101 at £1000 + in the 90s. What would that cost now ?

The whole point originally was that kemper didnt want a software editor and wanted it to be easy to tweak so the unit was priced to reflect that.

The cost and time to delelop the editor may not have been factored in and only became viable as the unit sales went up.

Customers can demand what they like but it doesnt make it viable for the business.

If the financial constraints made kemper put in what would have been the editor budget into improved sound quality to be able to put the product on the market at a particular price point then i think thats the correct decision. The sound quality is what has made the product popular.

The line 6 pod xt had an editor, but you had to pay for updates and it sounded like shit. I think the hd 500 was the same.

Without being sarcastic gibson dont upgrade your les paul pickups for you.

Ford dont upgrade your vehicle ecu after 12 months to give you more horsepower or fuel economy.

They want you to keep paying out.

If everyone paid 2 grand for the kemper originally we probably would have had an editor from the start.

But if it was priced at 2 grand how many people would have actually bought it at that price point ?

I suspect its popularity wouldnt have been anything like what it is, meaning again there would have been less future development to where we are now at with the updates weve got.

The kemper was and still is my best guitar related purchase ever.

Im thankful for that and the previous updates.

I personally think they are playing it right even though it is frustrating.

• The short version of the above would be, be careful what you wish for.

The amount of companys that are going under due to unrealistic demands from customers expecting the impossible is scarey.

In todays climate no company is safe. Just be thankful its being developed and hope they continue with the good work for many years to come

• The cost of developing an editor couldn't possibly have been the deciding factor in its creation, or lack thereof. The cost to develop it wouldn't equal a rounding error on the cost to develop the Profiling tech and effects modeling.

• Possibly not.

Maybe its purely a time issue. Who knows.

Kemper have probably got stuff up there sleeve we know nothing about.

Pretty sure the no-editor has to do with CK’s history and philosophy. The old analog Virus keyboards he built had all the knobs and buttons on the unit.

When the digitals came out, they needed an editor. Few buttons.

The KPA is a lot like his keyboard designs.

• It matters not what the original intent was, they still have to compete in a market and with consumer expectations. This isn't 90's rack gear, this is a modern digital device that doesn't possess those same limitations.

The whole point originally was that kemper didnt want a software editor and wanted it to be easy to tweak so the unit was priced to reflect that.

The cost and time to delelop the editor may not have been factored in and only became viable as the unit sales went up.

I don't think the price reflected the lack of an editor. Though, Christoph did earlier state that he didn't see the need for an editor, but obviously it's been demonstrated conclusively over the years that in fact the customer sees it as a need.

Customers can demand what they like but it doesnt make it viable for the business.

I guess it depends how far you want to take that statement. But in this case, there's nothing unreasonable, and the customers purse is what keeps companies in business, therefore their expectations do matter. It doesn't entitle them to that satisfaction, but it's not really good business practice to ignore it either.

If the financial constraints made kemper put in what would have been the editor budget into improved sound quality to be able to put the product on the market at a particular price point then i think thats the correct decision. The sound quality is what has made the product popular.

You're making a lot of assumptions here. I don't see any evidence this was a zero-sum proposition.

The line 6 pod xt had an editor, but you had to pay for updates and it sounded like shit. I think the hd 500 was the same.

That's solely a matter of opinion, but it doesn't negate the importance of a desktop editor in any practical way when it comes to Kemper or any other digital device.

Without being sarcastic gibson dont upgrade your les paul pickups for you.

Ford dont upgrade your vehicle ecu after 12 months to give you more horsepower or fuel economy.

Entirely irrelevant examples. You're comparing apples to oranges. Or maybe apples to jet fuel.

If everyone paid 2 grand for the kemper originally we probably would have had an editor from the start.

But if it was priced at 2 grand how many people would have actually bought it at that price point ?

I suspect its popularity wouldnt have been anything like what it is, meaning again there would have been less future development to where we are now at with the updates weve got.

Again, this is based on no evidence. All we know is that Christoph didn't feel a desktop editor was needed. He never suggested the lack of one was due to limitations in resources.

The amount of companys that are going under due to unrealistic demands from customers expecting the impossible is scarey.

There is nothing unrealistic about customer demands for an editor. Why are we making this out like people are asking them to do something extraordinary?

In todays climate no company is safe.

No different than any other time.