New Editor on older OS X versions.

• Hi everyone, first post.

Got my Kemper a few months ago and I've been lurking ever since ;)

Just a quick one to the Kemper team to if possible try go as far back as possible with the compatability of the editor on older Mac OS versions. I'm currently on mavericks because I'm an audio dude and each update filled me with fear as my pals updated and incrementally slowed down their machines with each version. There are folk like us out there. Please consider us. :thumbup:

The new reverbs make me a happy person, I've been really lucky that in my brief time of having this machine so many great additions have been made that I've been able to reap the rewards of and I'd like to acknowledge all the early adopters and people that have been here forever waiting patiently for these things to happen.

Have a good one folks.

• I think you'll be fine. The cut off was Mountain Lion, when they (Apple) moved exclusively to a fully 64-bit architecture (if I remember correctly... something like that anyway)

• Well, maybe you will, and maybe you won't. I have a circa 2009 MacBook pro. When I first got my Kemper I was forced to upgrade to a more current version of the OS which in and of itself is no big deal, but in doing so, lost my ability to utilize other legacy software that I did not want to have to pay the money to upgrade in the process. There is a give and take, so if I were you, I would do an inventory of your software and try to decide if its really worth the financial impact.

• At worse, buy an external HD for the most recent OS and editor and dual boot.

The key to everything is patience.
    You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.
    -- Arnold H. Glasow

If it doesn't produce results, don't do it.

-- Me

• As HCarlH says, an external boot disk should work just fine, but better to use Firewire or USB 3 rather than USB2.

Another option if you have a large enough internal drive is to make another partition (volume) and install a later OS to use with KPA stuff.

If your drive is big enough you could even split it in half and clone your whole original drive, then update that. If it doesn't meet your needs, then simply remove it again and you are back to where you were. I actually never update my original drive without first trying it out with a clone.

• Can you really do that? I thought the OS had to be on the laptop itself?

From Apple:

When you use Startup Manager to select a startup disk, your Mac starts up from that disk once, then returns to using the disk selected in Startup Disk preferences.

1. Press and hold the Option key immediately after turning on or restarting your Mac.
    2. Release the Option key when you see the Startup Manager window.
      If your Mac is protected by a firmware password, you can release the key when you're asked to enter the password.
    3. Select your startup disk, then click the arrow under its icon, or press Return.
      If you press and hold the Control key during this step, your selection is saved in Startup Disk preferences, so it persists until you change it.

-- Arnold H. Glasow

-- Me

• ....and I wouldn't use anything other than a Solid State Drive...preferably with Thunderbolt.

-- Arnold H. Glasow

-- Me

• If I remember correctly I've got a mid 2011 iMac which unfortunately doesn't even have USB 3 ports. If it had USB 3 ports I'd be running samples off external drives and have a whole more efficient and faster setup. The cost of thunderbolt drives is crazy and considering it's only got the one thunderbolt port I was hoping to leave that free for the inevitable interface upgrade. Pulling the machine apart fills me with fear otherwise I'd have stuck an SSD in there a long time ago.

Part of me wants to sell it, move on and invest in a 5.1 cheese grater Mac Pro with a million cores and PCIe slots but first I've got to find one for the right price and then buy it outright and then try sell mine with the only major selling point being upgraded 16gb of ram.

Running El Cap off an external 2.0 HDD would be the only option and it wouldn't be the best one. I bought my machine at a bad time to be honest.

• I realise you were talking about USB3 in the context of external booting, but as you'd know, Rig Manager only requires USB2 as that's the Kemper-connection protocol, so I suggest again that you try installing it.

If it works, "problem" solved. If it doesn't it's easy to uninstall properly as it's definitely a known quantity and doesn't pepper your boot drive with umpteen preferences and folders.

• The cost of thunderbolt drives is crazy and considering it's only got the one thunderbolt port I was hoping to leave that free for the inevitable interface upgrade. Pulling the machine apart fills me with fear otherwise I'd have stuck an SSD in there a long time ago.

with 2011 Macs its very easy to put in an SSD, after the change you think you have a new Mac its so fast !!

with Thunderbolt you can plug in as example an Presonus Quantum Thunderbolt Audio Interface,

this has two Thunderbolt Port and on the second you can plug in an Thunderbolt HDD, both unit will be

recognized and are useable with ultra speed on your single Mac Thunderbolt Port

• Part of me wants to sell it, move on and invest in a 5.1 cheese grater Mac Pro with a million cores and PCIe slots but first I've got to find one for the right price and then buy it outright and then try sell mine with the only major selling point being upgraded 16gb of ram.

Bear in mind you won't be able to install or use TB on a 5.1 Mac, mate.

A work-around has come to light very-recently 'though (in the past few weeks):

You can install a TB card made for PC (don't have the model details handy but can look them up for you if need be), boot into Windows, activating the driver from there, warm-boot back into Mac OS and it'll work.

• In 2017, I bought my MacBook Pro off EBay used.
    A Mid-2012 i7/16GB RAM/ SSD 250 GB for $860.

The same specs and year for a used Mac Mini I bought last year for about the same price.

A gently used Mac is the way to go. Saves a lot of money.

-- Arnold H. Glasow

-- Me