Best power amp

• Still not decided on powered or unpowered kemper and was curious if anyone has any experience or heard of any issues with the Palmer macht 402 stereo power amp. I’m tempted with a separate power amp but the simplicity of the built in kemper amp makes my decision difficult. Any advice would be grateful. I’ve also heard the matrix amps are another choice. I’m aware that a neutral sounding power amp is what’s needed. Many thanks

• Main advantage of external is you can run stereo.

I have powered because I'm not bothered about stereo backline and I really like the convenience of not having additional connections and kit to carry..

Matrix seem to be the go to external amps for most digital kit. Some people say they prefer a regular valve amp but personally I think its unnecessary.

• If you need stereo, unpowered.

If you don't need it and want a simpler and cheaper option (cheaper than a Matrix...) powered.

I have both. First I had a non powered Rack with an external power amp. Then I bought a Powered Head.

I prefer the Powered Head if you are going to use it like a real amp.

• I bought unpowered to be able to upgrade my amp and cabs after . Stereo is not that important for me but to be stuck with an amp is

You are giving the idea that the Powered versions are not possible to use with an external amp, wich is not the case. The Powered version is everything that the unpowered version is, but you have a power amp. You don't loose any connectivity at all.

• You are giving the idea that the Powered versions are not possible to use with an external amp, wich is not the case. The Powered version is everything that the unpowered version is, but you have a power amp. You don't loose any connectivity at all.

Yes right. But I wont pay for an amp I dont use. So my best move was to pay for The Kemper first , unpower, then buy what I need for amp (and still be able to sell it later and upgrade. That was my plan

• I went powered head for the same reasons at V8guitar and Atlantic . I don't need stereo on stage. It does everything the non powered does plus can power a cab if necessary. It is just so convenient for transporting, set up, strip down it just works perfectly for me. If you need stereo on stage then unpowered rather than buy a power amp you aren't going to use.

• Yes right. But I wont pay for an amp I dont use. So my best move was to pay for The Kemper first , unpower, then buy what I need for amp (and still be able to sell it later and upgrade. That was my plan

Of course that's a viable option. for me I knew I needed a power amp straight away. I cannot emphasize the convenience of having it in one box.

For me there are only 3 reasons not to go powered:

Cost - but that's offset against separate power amp or powered speaker

Stereo - no point if not going FOH stereo

You want to add "valve" power amp - for me not an issue as that is what the KPA does, emulate a valve amp. Some people think its missing something, but for me it turns the KPA into an effects rack rather than a complete solution

• It is important that thing about the valve power amp. There's no doubt that a valve power amp gives some thing else in your face when connected to a guitar cabinet. For some one that feels that needs "that", maybe unpowered is the way to go.

In my case if I ever need "that" again I will go back to using a real valve amp. Not saying that will never happen.

• I went unpowered rack as I want the option of stereo whenever I want, but live it doesn’t matter. I use two powered DXR10’s for that, may not be “true” stereo, but fine enough for my purposes!

My next Kemper will likely be powered so I can compare a Matrix and see if there’s any difference in the sound from class D to AB power amps first hand, with my existing setup. I had a Camplifier 180 and didn’t gel with it!

• For me the powered version was great because:

It was designed for the Kemper

It doesn't seem to add any colour ( which is what I want rather than something else to " balance"

Convenience - I have 3 leads now to set up - speaker lead, power lead and remote lead...that's it! And I then plug FOH in ( which I suppose is technically 4 leads)..

Takes me minutes..

Now if kemper could make a wireless remote with rechargeable batteries or dongle to interface to the KPA, I'd be even happier!

• Intially i regreted getting the unpowered version because bringing seperate power amps is a hassle.

I got me a stereo camplifier amp, a retrofit for an unpowered toaster. That gives me the option of a very compact stereo rig, especially combined with a stereo cab. One way trip to the car actually!

Nevertheless i sometimes hook the kpa to the return of a good tube combo.

So the powered kpa, a cab and a combo give me loads of options.

Actually gives me best of all worlds, compact and light ss rig, stereo, tube power, or old school 4cm with the combo.

• Had the same issue, didnt know which to go with. I decided to go with the unpowered rack with the controller option. $500 less than just the powered rack version. I figured I could get a power amp a lot easier (and less expensive) than finding just the controller on the used market. Im happy with my choice. Dont need to go stereo any time soon.