saving profiles with midi assigns to USB

• Maybe a strange question but this what 's going on.

For many years now I use a midicontroller on stage. It works fine for me. We work in sets of songs so what I do is assigning every part of a song (verse, solo etc.) to a following midi number which corresponds with a latching switch om my midi controller. I have 10 of these switches available for each of the 12 banks.

But since we play an amount of medleys (with a part of every song) my midinumbers exceed the number of songs and I must watch out for tap dancing.

Now my question. Is it possible to save a set with 15 songs with their corresponding midinumber on USB and then assign 15 other songs to the same midinumbers to a second

USB. The goal is to import this second USB just before playing a second set.

So actually I then would be able to use a limit of midi assigns for different sets of songs and different songs would benefit the same midinumber on my midicontroller. Or does this conflict...?

• theplayer

What controller are you using? Is it capable of sending out CC messages (as opposed to program change messages)? If so, then it's just a matter of ordering your performances and slots smartly.

KPA Unpowered Rack, Kemper Remote, Headrush FRFR108s, BC Rich Mockingbird(s), and a nasty attitude.

• What controller are you using? Is it capable of sending out CC messages (as opposed to program change messages)? If so, then it's just a matter of ordering your performances and slots smartly.

I use a Roland FC-200. It's capable of sending out CC messages, but I never used that. Obviously as soon as you connect a midicable to an amp with midi you can scroll through sounds with the controller's switches.

When you load the Backup file, it will include the Browse Mode MIDI PC numbers that are assigned to Rigs in the System Menu and/or the Performance Slots that correspond to the MIDI PC messages.

So if I assign 1 to 15 midiplaces to 15 songs and back up them all, and I import 15 new files for assigning them to those same 15 previous midi places then they would be overwritten but as soon I re-import the first 15 songs again then the first 15 midi assigns would have been still intact? Is that what you mean?

• I use an IPad with a programm called Songbook . (There exist simlar other programs running o the IPad)

It needs bluetooth Vers 4 at minimum to run an wireles MIDI connection e.g. https://www.thomann.de/at/yama…wireless_midi_adapter.htm

On the IPad is my setlists which contains Lyrics, Mp3's for rehearsal backing and the commands/ setlist position to switch to the Rig I want.

My sounds are organized in performance mode.

I bought a used IPad for 100 €. It needs Vers 12 (because of bluetooth 4).

The programm was about €50.(Pro-Version) There exist other programs with a small lizence/per year.

The wireless adapter costs € 44.

The only addional hardware exept the KPA is only an external Footswitch for morph (I 'm not using a morph pedal) and an expression pedal for volume.

The remote is for tune/tap-function and signalisation to know what rig and effects I play.

Normally I try to avoid the use of a stomp foot switch. (Morph is really very helpful)

This configuration helps me to relieve my old grey cells and be more concentrated on playing itself. ;)

• So if I assign 1 to 15 midiplaces to 15 songs and back up them all, and I import 15 new files for assigning them to those same 15 previous midi places then they would be overwritten but as soon I re-import the first 15 songs again then the first 15 midi assigns would have been still intact? Is that what you mean?

Yes -

Program a set, and create a Backup file.

Program another set, and create a Backup file.

You can create additional sets, if you need them, and create a Backup file each time.

When you load a Backup file, it overwrites the entire contents of the KPA with the contents of the Backup file.

• Yes -

Program a set, and create a Backup file.

Program another set, and create a Backup file.

You can create additional sets, if you need them, and create a Backup file each time.

When you load a Backup file, it overwrites the entire contents of the KPA with the contents of the Backup file.

Hi Paults,

I'm sorry for the repeat to your reply but I want to understand this right and don't make things worse (and maybe I have explained it wrong the first time).

1. 15 songs in set 1 with midi assigns 1 - 15

2. backup to usb and put it in a vault ...^^

3. 15 new songs in set 2 and assign them also to same midi numbers 1-15

4. backup to new usb and put in second vault ...^^

Now I import set 1 again. Will my midi controller and Kemper now show these first songs again with their corresponding midi numbers?

So are these combinations (1 and 3 separately!) saved for recall? I can't explain it better...

• The same applies in Performance Mode and you don't even need to assign MIDI program changes as these are pre-assigned and fixed in Performance Mode. For example Performance 3 Slot 4 is always MIDI program change #14 regardless which Rig you put in. You could have two backups with just different Rigs in the relevant Slots.

A more sophisticated approach is the following:

Performance Mode offers 625 Slots which are exceeding the range of 128 program changes. Therefor it is split into various MIDI banks. A fully qualified address of any Slot is a combination of MIDI bank select (LSB) plus a MIDI program change. As long as you just send a MIDI program change, the PROFILER loads with the same MIDI bank. So you could organize up to five sets in different MIDI banks:

bank 1: Performance 1 Slot1 - Performance 26 Slot 3

bank 2: Performance 26 Slot 4 - Performance 52 Slot 1

bank 3: Performance 52 Slot 2 - Performance 77 Slot 4

bank 4: Performance 77 Slot 5 - Performance 103 Slot 2

bank 5: Performance 103 Slot 3 - Performance 128 Slot 5

Then during the break you just manually dial to any Performance within the bank for the next set. Your foot controller sending MIDI program changes will then load those Slots in that other MIDI bank. It cannot leave that MIDI bank as it isn't capable of sending MIDI bank select.

• something else to look out for is that each performance rig can transmit an associtead midi program change number. By default, it appears to be the same as its receiving program change number. However, copying a performance will copy with it the midi transmit data stored with it and not assume the same as the receiving number what you might expect.

I found this out the hard way! Takes a little digging in the rig settings to reassign the midi transmit prog number. Just a little tip....

• A more sophisticated approach is the following:

This should normally be sufficient enough . :thumbup:

At the beginning I had some problems with the IPad.

Thanks again to Burkhard - he tried to help me - but the problem was an understanding problem with the application software.

Now I have all settings in the setlist and can concentrate on the next piece musically.

• Thank you Burkhard for this, but this is getting over my head....I only use Browse mode, tweak a profile a bit, assign this in System with a number and that is as far as my knowlegde goes. Then it's a matter of pressing the right assigned button om my midi controller and there's my my profile. And I repeat this process for a solo with the next midi assign. Yes I know, very onconventional, but there's not much time to turn everything upside down and go to another method...for coming gigs...and leaving your routine the way it was...