Living in an apartment where neighbors are constantly complaining. Playing at lower volumes while still maintaining sound integrity?

• Its the bass freq that punch mostly into the walls... So practice at decent volume but without a bass track and drum playing along practice with metronome instead... You can also move thats what I did , coz a frustrated neighbourg can be very dangerous, he can lose his mind if he focus on the noise every day

• Guys! Can the Profiler bag fit the Remote at the same time as the Head`?

Yes. I have a toaster and a remote. I lay the remote flat on top of the toaster and it just fits. Very snug fit but lots of guys do this so you should be fine.

As for the volume problems, can't you just trade in your neighbors for a better model? :)

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

• As for the volume problems, can't you just trade in your neighbors for a better model? :)

Duncan, many things very serious can happen with a frustrated neighbors. Dont joke about it. I had one that came with a gun in my face coz I was playing too loud.... Your light sense of humour disappear quickly when you got a cannon gun on your nose dude . Dont make joke about it

• Hmm I ordered it yesterday. I did not get any order confirmation on mail at all (checked spam mail also). Package is not even shipped (should be shipped yesterday), and it's just completed on the page. Money has been withdrawn. Wonder if there is something wrong with the ordering system. Had other problems during payment yesterday also.. Can't find a support email, only phone number?

EDIT: Nevermind, I'll stick to the order number on my profile page. I guess the confirmation mail is not so important.

Edited once, last by keem85 ().

• Duncan, many things very serious can happen with a frustrated neighbors. Dont joke about it. I had one that came with a gun in my face coz I was playing too loud.... Your light sense of humour disappear quickly when you got a cannon gun on your nose dude . Dont make joke about it

I'm not unfamiliar with the experience of staring down the barrel of a loaded gun (it's been an interesting life thus far).

I conduct myself appropriately when dealing with actual situations in the real world. When I'm helping people on an Internet forum (or just having conversation for fun), I prefer a lighthearted approach. There are a lot of really nice people here, and the friendly discussions alone make being part of the community worthwhile. Should any of them bang on the walls because my comments are too loud, I'll be sure to use an appropriately serious tone.

And the name's Chris. :)

• Hmm I ordered it yesterday. I did not get any order confirmation on mail at all (checked spam mail also). Package is not even shipped (should be shipped yesterday), and it's just completed on the page. Money has been withdrawn. Wonder if there is something wrong with the ordering system. Had other problems during payment yesterday also.. Can't find a support email, only phone number?

EDIT: Nevermind, I'll stick to the order number on my profile page. I guess the confirmation mail is not so important.

I assuming you're talking about the remote, I also ordered directly (they don't offer the remote separately through the normal retailers). I did receive a confirmation email from Service @ Paypal confirming the payment. I then received two separate emails from sales @ kemper-americas (I'm in the US), one with the invoice and then later one with a shipment number.

I'm not sure what part of the world you're in but it's not uncommon for auto generated emails to get delayed for a variety of reasons. Sometimes it's Internet problems (given that an email has to hop across a lot of servers to get to you), other times their outbound smtp server is just slammed and it takes time to chew through them all. And of course, sometimes there's just a screw up with their email system.

I don't know if it's what you mean by the order number on your profile page, but the email from the Kemper sales team included a link to the store account, which lets you login and view the status of your order. The one below is US specific, yours might be different if you're in another region of the world.

https://shop.kempermusic.us/customer/account/login/

As for the order itself, it was in fact processed without delay and got here in a few days. As Tom Petty once put it, the waiting is the hardest part. Especially for new toys. :)

Hope this helps.

• I have a THR10c which i like, and obviously a Kemper which i like too, but both don't go very well together.

I must also keep the volume down in my bedroom and i use most of the time Headphones (DT-880) and sometimes Studio Monitors (Focal Alpha 65).

• As Chris said, the remote and KPA both fit in the Kemper bag - that's how I do it too. It is snug but not overly so.

As for the volume and behaving like a real amp, I totally agree with everything said so far.

The Kemper feels exactly like playing with a real amp and allows me to use profiles of some amps that I just couldn't ever use in real life - even at gigs. For example, I have always said that I HATE Marshalls. I have used them many times and every time I see one in a rehearsal studio, or on a gig with back line provided, my heart sinks. The JCM 800 is possibly the shittiest, fizziest piece of junk I have ever had the misfortune to use. Or at least that's what I thought until I got a Kemper and tried some profiles! I am now warming to the JCM 800 but have also found out that I actually love JTM45s, JMPs, 1959 Super Leads etc.

Why did I hate them so much before? Well, it's obvious with hindsight; all of these amps generate a huge part of their sound from the way the power amp distorts and compresses. The problem is that even at most gigs it is difficult to crank one of these monsters to a level where they are really smoking and still be able to get a good stage AND FOH balance. The Kemper has allowed me to experience profiles of amps like these totally in their sweet spot but just turn the volume down without losing the tone or feel.

However, as Robrecht said the problem is that our ears (and bodies in the case of the gut punch from a cranked Marshal stack) don't preserve sound the same way the Kemper does. I am sure the little Yamaha practice amp will do an OK job but at the level you might need to play at you will find that your ears don't hear enough bass or treble. Everything will appear a bit muddy and mid heavy which is why so many bedroom players love the classic scooped V graphic eq setting. Therefore, you will almost certainly have a better experience with a good set of headphones.

• Thanks Chris Duncan yes it got sorted out :) vjau75 Why doesn't them mix well together? Doesn't it just work as a normal clean speaker? My THR5 seems to do that..

I have some last silly questions for you guys. I was wondering about creating a new forum thread since it's about something else, but I'll try here :)

-Now that my toaster and remote is on it's way, should I spend time learning them both, or should I learn all the basics on the toaster itself f? I'm a little unsure about the complexity of this. Somehow I'm dreading to get it.. Afraid that it's too complicated and afraid that I went over my head buying two very technical products at the same time. Maybe they get so complicated that I just stow it away, that's what I fear :P

-Usually one tends to use bridge pickups for solo and neck for rhythm.. But with the diversity of Kemper, do you still switch pickups even now that you have "performance" mode on the toaster?

-Your opinion: If Kemper really is this good (as all the reviews obviously says it is), why do you guys think normal pedals are still so popular in the market? I just sold my pedal board with polytune, compressor, delay and looper.. Hoping the Kemper will replace it just as good.. That the tuner mutes output signal, that the compressor is as good as my dynacomp was, if the delay is as good as the Flashback I had etc etc.

• Hi Keem. When I got my Kemper I had my first gig with it 1-2 weeks later. Just use it like you woulkd use an amp. Get one or two performances ready and have fun. You can start from there. Back in these days I used a Boss FC-200 in performance mode.

In other words: look for some sounds you like and play. :)

• Afraid that it's too complicated and afraid that I went over my head buying two very technical products at the same time.

I've only had mine a couple of months. I think you'll find that you can wade into the water at your own pace rather having to dive into the deep end. I was up and running with the toaster in a matter of minutes. Plug it into the wall. Plug a speaker cable into my 4x12 (I have the powered version). Plug guitar into the front. Browse to any of the installed profiles. Play guitar. At the most basic level, it really is that simple.

Rig Manager was equally easy to use, very intuitive. Drag a few profiles into a performance slots. Press the button on the remote. Play guitar.

There's lots of exploring you can do but none of it requires terribly deep diving. This is a fundamental difference between the profiler concept and the modeling concepts of Line 6, Fractal, etc. You don't have to wade through a ton of menus to build up your sounds. You just pick a profile, press the button, play guitar. Want effects? Push and hold an effects slot. Browse to the effect you want and (dare I say?) play guitar.

I make a living as a software developer, so I'm not afraid of complex technology. I just don't want to screw with it while I've got a guitar in my hand. Even if the Kemper didn't sound so incredibly good, the ease of use alone is awesome.

Don't worry. You'll get up to speed in no time. And when you have questions, this is an unusually positive and friendly place as Internet forums go. Guys around here go out of their way to be helpful. They've certainly been patient with me.

Usually one tends to use bridge pickups for solo and neck for rhythm.

A guitar is still a guitar. If that's how you play, it'll be the same with your Kemper. It's just an amp. Every time you change profiles, close your eyes for a moment and pretend a band of half drunken elves ran in and yanked the Marshall stack off the stage while an equally rowdy (but quiet) group snuck a Bogner into its place. Open your eyes, you have a new amp. Play guitar. That's really all it is.

why do you guys think normal pedals are still so popular in the market?

Guitar, like any making of music, is a highly personal experience. Everyone has their preferences, for different reasons. There is no right or wrong. It's just a matter of finding the path that you're most comfortable with. Some guys like pedals. Some (like me) delight in placing them on the shelf where they can sit, undisturbed, for the rest of their days.

Besides, the elves have fun with them when the lights go out.

• The Remote and Toaster just "work" together straight out the box. You don't need to learn them both. They really are that simple ^^

The first thing to do isREAD the short introductory manual. Then spend a bit of time watching the tutorial videos on the Kemper website which talk you through the main features and how they function.

Then go and have some fun!8)

Finally download the full manual. You don't need to read the full manual from cover to cover but it does help ;) However, it is more of a reference book. When you want to figure something out its really helpful to flick to the appropriate page int he manual and quickly read it first.

• Haha, nice! Thanks guys. I shall dare play the guitar ;) Actually you've all been very helpful since the day I opened a forum account here. Just the community by itself and the helpfulness from you guys makes me at ease. I'll stop over thinking things :D

• Thanks guys! The first thing I'm gonna do is to assign compressor to all my patches, and a tuner (Always need that tuner regardless of what setting I have on the Remote).. Do I need to do anything special for the tuner to mute output signal when active? I read somewhere else that output is still present when having the tuner active. Also, what integrated compressor pedal would you recommend?

• -Now that my toaster and remote is on it's way, should I spend time learning them both, or should I learn all the basics on the toaster itself f?

-Usually one tends to use bridge pickups for solo and neck for rhythm.. But with the diversity of Kemper, do you still switch pickups even now that you have "performance" mode on the toaster?

-Your opinion: If Kemper really is this good (as all the reviews obviously says it is), why do you guys think normal pedals are still so popular in the market? I just sold my pedal board with polytune, compressor, delay and looper.. Hoping the Kemper will replace it just as good.. That the tuner mutes output signal, that the compressor is as good as my dynacomp was, if the delay is as good as the Flashback I had etc etc.

Using the remote with the profiler is super easy! Just hold the button you want and hit the footswitch to assign (or the other way around). Even though I only play at home, I don't regret getting the remote at all. I play a lot with backing tracks and the remote allows me to have a full sound selection without needing to touch the kemper.

As mentioned by Chris Duncan, a guitar is still a guitar. If you use a neck pickup on a strat, you'll never be able to achieve exactly that sound with the bridge pickup only by messing with the amp's settings. I do however set up certain profiles for specific pickups (I have a Fender Super Reverb profile which I only play with the neck pickup). And that's easy to do with the Kemper, as you can use the same amp to have your desired sound with one pickup and then just switch to another profile in order to adapt the profiler to better fit another pickup. Instead of switching profiles entirely, it's even easier to use the morph function.

Personally, I don't use any pedals because the quality and quantity of what the Kemper offers is largely sufficient for my needs. I can however understand people who dig pedals. There are some great ones out there ;)

• The tuner is always on in the form of a simple but surprisingly useable system with three leds indicating sharp, flat or in tune, both on the Kemper and on the Remote. Super handy for quick touch-ups between songs!

For a more precise, full-screen tuner graphic, also both on the Kemper and on the Remote, press the Tuner button on the Remote, or turn the "chicken head knob" on the Kemper to Tuner, or if you use an expression pedal for volume, simply tilt it back to zero. This works in any patch, no need to assign it.

There's a setting to select if you want to mute the signal when you activate the tuner.

The Kemper has only one built-in compressor pedal. It's simple but very effective, with just a few dials. Kemper user Maurizio70 has created some presets to "clone" the Dyna Comp, check them out!

There's also a compression parameter in the amplifier section, which is unique and super useful in that it only affects the clean side of the sound. So if you're playing with the gain on the edge of breakup, where playing hard will distort the amp but playing softly (or rolling back the volume knob on the guitar) will come through clean, you can compress just those clean sounds so their volume doesn't drop compared to the distorted notes.

As a side note, the compression Wheresthedug described is a natural effect of cranking a high-gain amp. If a Kemper profile was made from such a cranked amp, that natural compression will be part of the profile, and available at any volume you choose (whereas the original tube amp would lose all that power if you turned it down to don't-anger-the-neighbour volumes). In that case, you may not need to add any extra compression.

• There's also a compression parameter in the amplifier section, which is unique and super useful in that it only affects the clean side of the sound. So if you're playing with the gain on the edge of breakup, where playing hard will distort the amp but playing softly (or rolling back the volume knob on the guitar) will come through clean, you can compress just those clean sounds so their volume doesn't drop compared to the distorted notes.

Extremely useful to know. Thanks!