Super noisy while playing !HELP!

• ;(Hey guys, problem...

I don't think my Kemper has always been this noisy, but a couple of days ago I wanted to record something clean and it was just, too noisy.

I tried different profiles by different people mbritt, tonejunkie,... always the same. I tried with my Fender USA Tele (noiseless PUs) and with a SUB Bass...always noisy.

I tried the ground lifts and a different cable, even unplugging all other cables, nothing helped.
    I get that that there is always an amp noise, but its way too loud for clean sound.

When I don't touch metal its the loudest.
    When I touch metal (macbook, bridge...) the noise stops, but even while touching metal, as soon as I start playing the noise is 80% back compared to not touching anything. Disappears when I turn the volume off.

Hope that's enough information, please help guys, I need to record!

Thanks in advance!

• Check to see if the various gear in the signal chain is ultimately going to the same electrical outlet. Sometimes you can pick up ground problems by going to more than one circuit.

Also, if you plug the guitar into the Kemper and listen on the Kemper headphones output, do you still hear the noise? If you then disconnect the audio outputs from the back of the Kemper while listening to the phones, does the noise go away?

The idea would be to start with the Kemper in isolation, just the guitar and headphones, nothing else connected and, assuming no noise in that scenario, adding things one at a time to see when the noise comes back.

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

Edited 2 times, last by Chris Duncan ().

• Changing the outlet didn't help and neither did the ground lifts... ? But thanks

Edit: nothing you named worked, tried it all. Noise is also there when I plug the Kemper via a Scarlett into my mac and plug the headphones into the mac.

• Note: Used the alternative Input on the back...same problem. So it's not the front input. I just unplugged everything, wen into another room and plugged the Kemper into an external speaker. Didn't change.

• Sorry...

Yes I tried that. Nothing I tried changed the noise in the slightest bit. Fearing it might me the INPUT Jack?

So with the Kemper disconnected from everything but your guitar cord, headphones and the power cord (meaning all other cables not even plugged into it whether they're used or not), you're hearing the noise in the headphones, no matter what profile you use.

Here are a few more debugging questions:

1. Does the noise still change when you "touch metal," and what metal do you touch to create that change?
    2. What is the characteristic of the noise? Is it amp hiss? Is it a buzz? 60 cycle hum?
    3. With the Kemper turned off and disconnected from everything, do you then get any noise from your DAW / computer audio / audio interface / microphones, etc?
    4. Is the Kemper and your other audio gear plugged into a common power strip / Furman rack power unit, etc?

If you get noise with the Kemper completely isolated, i.e. just a guitar cable and a pair of headphones, and no other cables plugged into it, it eliminates your computer, speakers, audio interface etc. as the source of the problem because they're not even touching the Kemper.

If the computer audio setup has noise without the Kemper connected, then it eliminates the Kemper as the source of the problem.

The next thing that comes to mind is the quality of your power itself. Perhaps the possibility of a bad power strip / dirty power to your house in general / bad wiring in your house / etc. since the power is the only common denominator between the two isolated scenarios.

Take a look at things from that angle, get me the answer to those four questions, and we'll see where that gets us.

Edited 3 times, last by Chris Duncan ().

• The weirdest thing just happened...

Yesterday I plugged the Kemper into another outlet in another room, different cable from guitar to Kemper even different power cable to the Kemper. same problem.
    Since it was late and I was too frustrated to move everything back I just left it there.
    This morning I put it back on my desk, plugged everything in(interface, usb, remote) plugged the tele in and...

It's back to normal?!?! I have absolutely no idea what the problem is/was, but now its gone?! I hope it won't come back...

Thanks a lot for your help everyone !

• I'm glad the problem is resolved. My guess is that it was temporary dirty power (utility companies aren't always consistent).

Just the same, don't forget to burn incense, sacrifice a couple of chickens and give thanks to the appropriate technical deities. Better safe than sorry. :)

• I'm glad the problem is resolved. My guess is that it was temporary dirty power (utility companies aren't always consistent).

Just the same, don't forget to burn incense, sacrifice a couple of chickens and give thanks to the appropriate technical deities. Better safe than sorry. :)

Is it possible that it was water inside the Kemper?

Theres a plant nearby that I sprayed a little and it’s next to a window...maybe it dried off over night in the other place?!

• Update:

Aaaaaand its back.

I changed not a sing,e thing, yesterday morning it worked, evening it didn’t.

I’m clueless.

Did you run the test I suggested where you turn off the Kemper and completely disconnect every cord of every kind from it, then listen to your DAW / audio setup to see if you hear any noise there (you may need to turn up the volume higher than usual to confirm / deny the presence of the noise)?

I would do this first before contacting support.

If you get the noise in your other audio stuff, it's probably electrical line noise. If you don't, then as stratdude suggested, it's likely a problem with the unit and time for support. Best to isolate where the problem is before taking the next step.

• Did you run the test I suggested where you turn off the Kemper and completely disconnect every cord of every kind from it, then listen to your DAW / audio setup to see if you hear any noise there (you may need to turn up the volume higher than usual to confirm / deny the presence of the noise)?

I would do this first before contacting support.

If you get the noise in your other audio stuff, it's probably electrical line noise. If you don't, then as stratdude suggested, it's likely a problem with the unit and time for support. Best to isolate where the problem is before taking the next step.

1. Noise stops when touching metal - noise is back(not as loud) when I hit a string, although I continue to touch metal

2. Sounds like very high gain amp on 11, while playing not as loud

3. nope no noises, as soon as I unplug the guitar it's gone. Has been the same noise with the bass tho

4. plugged into one powerstrip. But the noise was there in the other room, too, where it was just the Kemper.

Noise stops when I plug in my Takamine acoustic, and starts when I hit a string...

• Yeah, sounds like it's time to talk to the support folks. From what I understand, Kemper has excellent service, so I have no doubt they'll get you sorted.