Lower main output level

• So a month or so ago we did a one off show and when I arrived for soundcheck (after the tee he set up and line checked) our monitor engineer asked me to look over the set up as the output from my Kemper seemed about 10-12 dB lower than it had been through our whole summer tour (using the same Performance bank)

We never could find what was up and ended up just doing the show with him cranking the monitor desk gain to compensate and FOH just dealt.

Then the next show we played it seems back to ‘normal’ and we just assumed it was some weirdness there in the snake or cabling...

But... fast forward.

Not we have done three more one offs and for all of these last three the output again seems low.

I can’t see any obvious reason why anything has changed.

But I’m throwing it out here to see if anyone has an instant inkling as to what might have been bumped or what to look at.

The output level is still where I stored it.

Volume control on the front panel is still set to only affect the powered out to the cab.

I’ve tried it with and without the remote connected. And with and without the expression/volume pedal attached to said remote.

Even reloaded from a thumb drive backup.

No clue.

Anyone?

• thanks a lot!

I'll have a look tomorrow.

Would be weird if that got pushed and stored, but it would certainly account for the level discrepancy which is almost exactly that amount.

cheers,

w2

• Maybe this is a dumb question but were you able to somehow test and confirm that the low volume originated from the Kemper itself? I didn't see anything like that in your description but I may have overlooked it.

I mention this because it seems unlikely that any of your Kemper settings would have magically changed, so unless you've verified that it's low coming out of the Kemper itself, perhaps the glitch is faulty gear somewhere downstream in the signal path.

My default approach for debugging usually starts with eliminating as many moving parts as possible from the suspect list.

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

• It sure sounds like the -12dB switch. Perhaps it's somehow engaging itself? It might be worth checking it next time you have this issue.

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• Maybe the volume pedal needs recalibration? You can check to see if it is using the full range in the Settings menu. Otherwise I can only suggest going through the Output menu and checking that nothing has inadvertently become linked to the main volume knob. Maybe check the input page too, and double check your clean sense setting and make sure the input section is locked (clean sense is stored per Rig, and if your profiles have a minus clean sense value, yet you had the input section locked at 0 when you made the performance and now it has somehow become unlocked, that could also affect overall output, I think).

Keep us posted. If you get chance, maybe send a backup to support and explain the problem.

• Maybe the volume pedal needs recalibration? You can check to see if it is using the full range in the Settings menu. Otherwise I can only suggest going through the Output menu and checking that nothing has inadvertently become linked to the main volume knob. Maybe check the input page too, and double check your clean sense setting and make sure the input section is locked (clean sense is stored per Rig, and if your profiles have a minus clean sense value, yet you had the input section locked at 0 when you made the performance and now it has somehow become unlocked, that could also affect overall output, I think).

Keep us posted. If you get chance, maybe send a backup to support and explain the problem.

i have checked those things, but thanks

• Yes! Init Globals can be found in the System Menu (I believe). It will set global parameters such as output levels or PureCab to default. That's why you should document them before, if you like to dial them back in to the values you prefer. Init Globals can help to fix your issue but it's not guaranteed. On the other hand there's no risk as everything else (rigs, effects and so an) will not be affected by it.

I could have farted and it would have sounded good! (Brian Johnson)

• As we don't know yet what the issue is exactly with William's Kemper it's pure speculation that it's a consequence of whatever. Furthermore he wrote in his first post that the output level is still where he had dialed it in.

I could have farted and it would have sounded good! (Brian Johnson)

• As we don't know yet what the issue is exactly with William's Kemper it's pure speculation that it's a consequence of whatever. Furthermore he wrote in his first post that the output level is still where he had dialed it in.

That's right. But if we had the opportunity to store volumes in an Output-Preset, we could compare settings to a recent backup.