NAMM 2019: Kemper Kabinet and Kemper Kone

• What do you think about, to split up the discussions caused by Namm's publications concerning "the Editor", "Kemper Cab and Kemper Cone", "Effect-organisation" ?

I'd like to open this Thread where all considerations concerning just only the Kemper Cab and Kemper Cone are posted.

My question is, how you think about the technical concept of the Kemper Cone Controlling the Kemper-Speaker? It's said by CK, that the Profiler's DSP controls the Cab.

As I understand, the cab is only linked by a simple Speaker-cable. So all Information for the Speaker (f.e. to behave like a Celestion Vintage 30) is within this Signal.

As explained, this Signal is derived from a specific "Speaker-Imprint". So why would it be necessary to design a specific Speaker for the Profiler. Any other fullrange coax-speaker could have been used for this.

• I think its an very promising , easy and cheap way to get

a decent Cab for the Profiler, cause you can put the separate Speaker in whatever

cab you like and if needed you can buy and inexpensive class d amp for it,

in the moment you need to buy compel, expensive cabs, and every cab sounds

cmpl different from the other

when a lot of KPA users jump on the Kemper Kone Train we have something

like a reference Monitor for us when talking but sounds

I like that !!

• I see the whole cabinet solution as a way to apply profiling to guitar speakers and reproduce them on a reference hardware , that's a very classy method to me. The combinations and potential uses are really impressive.

The open approach , letting you buy and build your own cabs is really great , opening the gate to other third party solutions also, this is a very generous & intelligent vision.

• In the other thread, about the new Celestion speakers AZRipp explains what he had to do to get a FRFR speaker sound really FRFR. It was basically very smart EQ-ing.

I bet that this is exactly what the Kemper Kone does. They profiled the curves of these famous speakers and built EQ to go from the Celestion FRFR to these famous ones. So the Kemper will use some of its DSP to do a post effect EQ to match the speaker model selected.

Check out the original post here: Celestion F12-X200 (FRFR Driver) Released

• That's right, although one of the "unofficial" Standard Cabs was (and still is) the DXR10.

The standarized KemperCab will then present each Profile in 17 variations (1 in "FRFR-Mode" and 16 in "Speaker Imprints"). A lot of sound-discussions, I expect.

But what makes me wonder is, the physics behind those "Speaker-Imprints". Could it be that they are only standarized IRs?

• In the other thread, about the new Celestion speakers AZRipp explains what he had to do to get a FRFR speaker sound really FRFR. It was basically very smart EQ-ing.

I bet that this is exactly what the Kemper Kone does. They profiled the curves of these famous speakers and built EQ to go from the Celestion FRFR to these famous ones. So the Kemper will use some of its DSP to do a post effect EQ to match the speaker model selected.

Check out the original post here: Celestion F12-X200 (FRFR Driver) Released

Hopefully this Output-Eqing is based on dedicated IRs. This would make me hope, we once will be able to import independent IR's directly (or further on via CabMaker) into the Output-section.

• Hopefully this Output-Eqing is based on dedicated IRs.

My guess is that right now, in the first iteration it is a bit more involved, hence the 16 "hard-coded" speaker imprints.

But yes, hopefully in the future we will be able to feed simple speaker IRs to the Kemper for the Kone.

• How about a possibility for the KPA to "hear out" (via a dedicated "profiling" procedure?) the speaker behaviour (i.e. a broadband speaker like the future Kemper replacement speaker) in any cabinet to "flatten" the base frequency range to a reference based on the configuration?

Cheers,

Wolf

• Funny to read so may posts from users claiming they found the perfect tone with their KPA + cab/frfr rig and could not be happier, now saying that they can't make it work and are ready to ditch their cabs since the NAMM announcement.

Talk about major case of G.A.S epidemic......8o^^8o:S8o!!!

• Talk about major case of G.A.S epidemic

I now profess to be immune to this GAS attac.

I will not exchange my FRFR monitor even if I may not be able to reproduce an orange box up to 12th overtones.

For me it depends mainly on the sound in the mix at the FOH.

And if it sounds as nice at the minimum as before on the monitor, I will continue to be happy with the KPA.

As I understand it so far, there is an improvement of the monitorsound, perhaps a better room experience, but to bring the sound to the FOH you would need a microphone again, which I e.g. sent with friendly words in the pension;)

It could also be advantageous for studio recording.

• I'm myself not in a need of a real CAB , as I love my HS7 and really got used playing in stereo & low volume.

However I'd love a little active Kab I could carry around on improvised gigs but also to mimic a combo at home , with unlimited possibilities.

Example : let's try to get the real deal blackface at home , and next week a very rare supro, that's would be awesome and definitely cure any amp gas.

I also fount myself much more inspired to play with a real amp in the room : basses , feedback , vibrations, loudness, waking the neighbors ...

• So, you know, just a normal day, right? :)

Ya...of course......!.;)

I have an unpowered unit and just bought an active speaker not long ago.

From what CK said, it may take a while before they release an active cab, so I'm looking for some other gear to spend that money on.......:/