NAMM 2019: Kemper Kabinet and Kemper Kone

• Be sure to look at the News page on the Kemper Amps site, some very interesting info there. From reading this and what was said at NAMM, I'm beginning to be convinced that the Kemper Kone is not a F12-X200, but a proprietary design unique to Kemper. The Kemper Celestion appears to be basically a fuller range driver that can do FRFR to a point, but the dispersion of the highs is controlled to be more like a standard guitar speaker. Maybe a variant of the F12-X200?

The Kemper Kone can be driven by a powered Kemper, or an unpowered one with "any external solidstate power amp".

This was very interesting: "In addition to the passive model of the Kemper Kabinet, we have plans to offer an active Kemper Kabinet as well. Further, we will offer the Kemper Kone as a replacement speaker for any regular kind of 1x12”, 2x12” or 4x12” guitar cabinet. All digitally controlled features are applicable to all kinds of cabinet configurations once the Kemper Kone is driven."

• MKB Saw this as well. Honestly, there are really not a lot of companies like Kemper. That's so cool of them to offer that much possibilities (passive, active or diy). Most companies just would offer their cabinet and nothing else.

• Christoph has been VERY careful with his words in every video I've seen. Not once has he referred to the new speaker driver as "FRFR" or "coaxial" or "twin driver" or "full-range" or anything like that. But he does say "broadband" a lot, which is typically a term used to refer to a single driver.

If I were a betting man, I'd bet it's based on the Celestion K12H-200TC.

Hi Ben,

Actually, Christoph utters the term "full-range" a few times during the following interview. He uses the term at time-stamp 01:09, and again at 02:34. Also, he uses the term "FRFR" at 02:36 (even though he says he doesn't like the term). He doubles down on the term "full-range" at 03:08.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Futhermore, the term "Full-range" is used in the official Kemper Namm 2019 news release:

"Music that is fed into the PROFILER through the Aux Input will be played back in full-range mode, even when you play your amp with a Speaker Imprint, both at the same time."

Kemper Namm 2019 Post-mortem

Now, with all that said, it is certainly possible that Kemper is going to use a variant of the Celestion K12H-200TC....however, looking at the frequency-response of that speaker, IMHO it would be very misleading to describe it as "full-range". The K12H-200TC drops off the cliff above 10 Khz.

Cheers,

John

• Be sure to look at the News page on the Kemper Amps site, some very interesting info there. From reading this and what was said at NAMM, I'm beginning to be convinced that the Kemper Kone is not a F12-X200, but a proprietary design unique to Kemper. The Kemper Celestion appears to be basically a fuller range driver that can do FRFR to a point, but the dispersion of the highs is controlled to be more like a standard guitar speaker. Maybe a variant of the F12-X200?

Hello MKB,

Christoph has already stated, in multiple interviews, that the Kemper Kone is a proprietary speaker designed and built by Celestion for Kemper. With that said, I have been saying all along that this could simply mean that it is a "tweaked" variant of their new F12-X200, which Celestion will private label for Kemper GmbH -- which by definition, makes it "proprietary" or "bespoke".

• I am still hoping it a variant of the true coaxial Celestion F12-X200.

yeah me too cause i had a Beyma 12 GA Speaker which i think is the same kind of Speaker as the K12H

and these really were not good

cross my fingers and hope it will be a some kind of F12,

• Yeah, I stand corrected. I just saw the news release you linked... "The Kemper Kone is a 12“ full range speaker which is made by Celestion"

Yet, even in that video he says, "the purpose of that broadband speaker is to play back either full range sound. as well as classic guitar speaker sound."

Clear as mud. :)

Still betting on a variant of the Celestion K12H-200TC. It has quite good reviews for use with modelers.

• which speaker are in the javas?

its the ftx1225, same as the mbritt cabs. Its a coaxial but I think only has one motor so maybe not the exact same. I'm thinking though that it sounds like the mass of effect coming to kemper kab will be software reliant so it should apply pretty much the same with most passive frfr. I'll know better when I get them side by side I guess.

• I'm already looking for kits to setup one or two 12" 'Kones '

I fount this great one : 2x12 , angled, ply birch, enhanced dispersion , removable back plate on hinges ...

built in France , available for 229€ as a kit of 299€ fully mounted, looks like a killer deal.

I'm pretty excited by all these options , I'll also have to find a stereo amp for these , any advice ?

• Maybe a Seymour Duncan Powerstage 700?

https://www.seymourduncan.com/power-amp/powerstage-700

That cab looks great!

• I think this PowerAmp is good value with a lot of features.

http://www.daytonaudio.com/ind…th-dsp-and-bluetooth.html

If Kemper published the Frequency response curve of the new speaker, you could compensate (the same as the KPA will do) for a linear response in an external EQ (presents in the PowerAmp above) and make the cab have other uses.

This is the power amp Mike from Xitone uses in his MBritt signature cab - with some frequency curve mojo from the collaboration with the man himself.

• This is the power amp Mike from Xitone uses in his MBritt signature cab - with some frequency curve mojo from the collaboration with the man himself.

Indeed, that's what I've got. Hopefully I'll get to put the new Kemper/Celestion in the cab and then either use the FRFR setting on the Dayton, or use the software to flatten it out. Of course I'd take backup or pictures of the existing DSP settings before making changes. :)

• Laney has a full range cab now also.

You can get the regular one the same size with a regular speaker for like $200. Get that one, throw out the old speaker, put the new fancy one in. ;)

• Normally, a Cab's size (and material) is determined to it's aimed bass and treble Response and also to it's resonance-behavior. I'm not sure, that the Laney-cabinet will be adequate to the results the Kemper-team aimed at.

For me it's most obvious, that the Kemper-people at first had created the cab to their specifications and after then they had the F12-X200 been customized by Celestion together with their own DSP-developments in the profiler.

So, an even similar looking cab ain't deliver the same results.