NAMM 2019: Kemper Kabinet and Kemper Kone

• I'm hoping that Cab Maker will be able to take any IRs we have and convert them into Imprints.

After several years, I'm falling out of love with my QSC K10 and would prefer to get the custom speaker for a never used T21 Power Engine and have a light weight, amp sounding rig. Waiting patiently.

The key to everything is patience.
    You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.
    -- Arnold H. Glasow

If it doesn't produce results, don't do it.

-- Me

• Wow, that's big news, certainly nukes the idea that the Kemper Kone is a private labeled F12-X200. It would be closer to a Eminence 12LTA. "Full range dual cone no tweeter" basically equals a whizzer cone.

why it can't be no F12 ?

he means there's no extra tweeter in the Cab

• I'm sticking to my original prediction that it's a custom version of the Celestion K12H-200TC, or maybe even the K12H-100TC.

I'd tend to agree with you. Get rid of the divot in the response at 6.5k, and the K12H-200TC might fit the bill. It has two cones and no tweeter.

The F12-X200 has a tweeter in it.

• I'm sticking to my original prediction that it's a custom version of the Celestion K12H-200TC, or maybe even the K12H-100TC.

Indeed, Ben, you may be right. However, I have to say that the statements and promotion by Kemper, in word and in print calling this a "full-range" speaker, are a bit peculiar, if this indeed a whizzer cone-based driver such as the Celestion K12H-200TC...because in no audio world that I know of would that be considered "full range". Heck, Celestion's own spec page shows frequency range as: 50-10,000Hz.

Now, don't get me wrong. I am sure CK knows what he is doing, and I am pretty confident that whatever speaker solution is used in the Kemper Kabinet will work just as he intends. But I find it a bit curious that he has a problem with the term FRFR, apparently only when it comes to the "Flat Response" part of the quasi-acronym. Seems to me, that he should equally have a problem using the "Full-Range" terminology, if this is a single-driver/voice-coil whizzer cone speaker based upon the K12H.

Note following link:

https://www.gearnews.com/namm-…binet-1x12-cab-announced/

Whenever you switch to a full range sound, for an acoustic guitar the Kemper Kone will switch to Full range Mode automatically for you. Music that is fed into the Profiler through the Aux Input will also be played back in Full range Mode.

• It is also possible, although IMHO unlikely, that Michael Britt misspoke, and accidentally used the term "dual cone" when he meant coaxial. He did use the rather strange phrase that it has "no extra tweeter"...rather, than saying it has no tweeter. digbob noticed that, as well. Anyways, all a bit confusing.

However, with that said, I am pretty sure Michael knows what he is talking about, when it comes to speakers, and he is in fact meaning to describe a whizzer-cone driver...unfortunately. :(

• It's also instructive that, in person, CK mostly uses the term "broadband" when talking about the Kabinet driver. That, combined with MBritt's words, doesn't leave much room for the possibility of it being the F12-X200. The K12H-200TC is also half the price and lighter.

You guys should go listen to the video I linked to hear MBritt's own words.

• It's also instructive that, in person, CK mostly uses the term "broadband" when talking about the Kabinet driver. That, combined with MBritt's words, doesn't leave much room for the possibility of it being the F12-X200. The K12H-200TC is also half the price and lighter.

You guys should go listen to the video I linked to hear MBritt's own words.

I did watch the video, and listened to MBritt's words, very carefully (see my above post). I also appreciate you posting the video/link, Ben.

• i don't believe its the K12H-200TC

i tested several whizzer cone drivers

and all didn't work as well as the F12 , which i have here in the moment

with the Kemper

they all sounded Dark , not amp in the room like, and with Music played thru them

def nothing in the high range

• 1: The new driver is BASED UPON another driver, so nobody's actually heard what it sounds like, and

2: the Kemper Kone feature is likely engineered to flatten out the known response of that driver, the result of which nobody has heard either.

• Well, there is an obvious solution, here...

There is no mistaking a whizzer-cone based speaker. So, did M Britt actually see the speaker inside the Kemper Kabinet, while he was at NAMM? Or, alternatively, did he get an unambiguous explanation from a Kemper representative that they were using a non-coaxial (no tweeter) dual-cone (whizzer) speaker?

Seems to me, someone only needs to ask him.

Not me...I ain't putting the man on the spot.

Homer backs into shrubbery (smaller 1 MiB size).gif

• 1: The new driver is BASED UPON another driver, so nobody's actually heard what it sounds like, and

2: the Kemper Kone feature is likely engineered to flatten out the known response of that driver, the result of which nobody has heard either.

So we will Need a volunteer, who will compare the Standard F12 and the Kemper-designed when it's available.