NAMM 2019: Kemper Kabinet and Kemper Kone

• Ha! I put myself on the list in Sep 2017...you?

As for the Kone, it only seems like three of us here are planning on buying it on day 1. I'm not hearing much hype about it anywhere else. Also lots of discussion about other recent FRFR/cab purchases by users here, don't know why anyone would buy anything until this is released and reviewed. Oh well, too bad for them

4 of us....I want one as I have a powered rack so unpowered version will be perfect!

I will buy purely for the colour :)

Seriously, Kemper have not let me down sound wise so I will prob take the risk anyway...just depends on price on how quickly I get one...

• As for the Kone, it only seems like three of us here are planning on buying it on day 1.

Five.....ME. It, along with the speaker imprints, is the ONLY thing I care about right now. No editor, no stage thingie....I want to use anything other than a powered monitor.

The key to everything is patience.
    You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.
    -- Arnold H. Glasow

If it doesn't produce results, don't do it.

-- Me

• I am curious when there will be an update for the Kemper Kone. It took a very long time until the Celestion F12-X200 was finally on the market.

And the long announced Friedman Celestions are also a long time in coming.

• Is this similar to the Powercab?

No.

From the 2019 NAMM recap with news of the Kemper Kabinet:

The Powecab works with any modeler.

The Kemper Kabinet is designed to work specifically with Kemper rigs, as an integral part of the rig.

• It sounds very similar to the Powercab based on that. It may be better and optimised for the Kemper but aside from that it sounds like a very similar thing, but passive.

• Sorry, but it sounds very similar to the Powercab. Just for Kemper only.

It’s similar, but Powercab doesn’t work with the amp to emulate specific speakers. What the Kemper does is different from normal IR loading. Which is what the Line6 does.

All of the processing is in the KPA. Besides, I’ve not heard stellar things re: Powercab.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• Sorry, but it sounds very similar to the Powercab. It may be better and optimised for the Kemper but aside from that it sounds like a very similar thing, but passive.

Whoops, you edited your original post while I was replying. I think you corrected yourself. Indeed, the Kemper Kone will be a viable solution for alternative digital modelers/amps...but yes, it is specifically optimized for the Kemper, and the Kemper's software (upcoming OS) will be specifically optimized to work with the Kemper Kone.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Okay I’ll keep an eye on it.

Ruefus i had one. It was good. Although the models had a very crisp, hi fi type definition to it. Based on the info up there it may well be the same type of sound. But we shall see!

• My guess still is that CK brewed a magic potion to emulate the sound af a speaker without the mic component (to get that out of the equation)

Meaning we can all use direct profiles instead of IR's (cab+mic) to get the amp in the room sound we all seem to "miss"

Raf

Kemper stage with 2 mission pedals (in a Thon line 6 FBV case) and a Zilla 212 (K-100/V30) , SD powerstage 700 poweramp

• My guess still is that CK brewed a magic potion to emulate the sound af a speaker without the mic component (to get that out of the equation)

Meaning we can all use direct profiles instead of IR's (cab+mic) to get the amp in the room sound we all seem to "miss"

Raf

I use a cab...

I’m not sure but I don’t see many direct profiles about that people recommend.

Raf

Which is also what the Powercab is doing.

Raf

My thought is that Merged and Studio Profiles would be preferable - that way, the Main Outputs can provide a mic’ed sound to FOH, without needing to put a mic in front of the Kone.

• Which is also what the Powercab is doing.

CK's design completely leap-frogs what the Powercab is doing. Being able to throw the speaker into any cab is the selling point, the speaker should just produce guitar frequencies and let the REAL cab fill in the rest. Can the Powercab model a pine cab with birch baffles and an oval back? How about 100% void-free OS birch and a closed back? If you can't tell the difference between the two, perhaps the Powercab is right for you

Please don't make me eat my words, CK