NAMM 2019: Kemper Kabinet and Kemper Kone

• I've always called it German Wizardry hahaha

I'm guessing the routing will be focused on the monitor and direct out although I'm not gonna rule out main outs too either at release or either down the road after enough feature requests. For sure Monitor out seems like the no brainer.

I suppose to people may want to have 2 different types of Kones available at the same time too . Greenback for this one and v30 for that one etc.

Not sure how Kemper is doing the Kone thing, but one way would be to have a custom IR made that makes a predetermined speaker (the Kone) have the same response as say a V30 or Greenback, in the same way a IR can make a FRFR sound like a V30 or Greenback. In the case of the FRFR, the assumption is made in the IR capture process that it's response is flat. For a non-flat speaker to work, you would have to take its response into consideration during the capture of the IR. In engineering terms, you would have to perform a A-B operation from the flat IR and the response of the non-flat speaker in the cab. You'd also have to take all the IRs in an environment that would not allow the cab characteristics to color the response (infinite baffle maybe?)

If this is the process Kemper will use, the implication is that they will be adding dual IR capability to the unit; one standard IR for the main out, and the second tweaked IR on the monitor out for use with the Kemper Kone.

I've been pondering the PowerCab and its magic for months now, but am not aware of what IR manipulation tools to use to get the same results. I'm a hardware guy, not too great with DSP engineering. But if I had mad Mathcad skills, I'd try the above to see if it would work. And I finally grabbed a few Celestion F12-X200's, which would be good candidates for such a device.

• Ive got enough speakers now, but there is a place set up for a "powered" Kone for use in my smallish studio with my unpowered rack KPA! 8)

If you use FRFR the benefit of a merged profile is that the cabinet is totally separated in the profile.

For my edification only... ;) Kemper/Axe-FX III/ Quad Cortex user

• Kemper says the non powered Kabinet will be released first. Then raw drivers. Then possibly a powered Kabinet could be released.

Of course, you make a good point. And Kemper could change the order.

• Kemper says the non powered Kabinet will be released first. Then raw drivers. Then possibly a powered Kabinet could be released.

Of course, you make a good point. And Kemper could change the order.

Well they announced the editor and speaker cab and Kemper cone in January, then they came out with the unannounced Kemper Stage. So we just don't know what they're gonna do. So maybe we'll see the "Kemper Guitar" first?

• In my opinion, the coming week is the one, that Kemper will present Kabinet. Last week Christof Kemper visited Andertons Music in UK, I guess they talked lot about it, probably also recorded something. Since it requires OS 7 with new updated cabinet section, new OS would be released as well. Not sure if editor will appear though... I keep my fingers crossed ?

• I'm hoping that whenever this does come out, it has enough bandwidth to allow for full use of a 5-string bass in standard or 1/2-step down tuning. My gut says that I'm dreaming for that type of frequency response in a 12" speaker, but one can dream.

Jeff

Shred 'til yer dead,

Jeff in Houston

• I'm hoping that whenever this does come out, it has enough bandwidth to allow for full use of a 5-string bass in standard or 1/2-step down tuning. My gut says that I'm dreaming for that type of frequency response in a 12" speaker, but one can dream.

Jeff

That would be interesting to see! After all got to keep the bass players happy!

But in that regard, I'm still curious what wattage the Kone will be able to handle. I'm hoping it'll be 300W like the EVM12L Black Label. The Celestion F12-X200 is rated at 200 watts, so 300w for the Kone?

That'll be puny for a bass though. Might have to daisy chain two together to get a decent volume. If that's the case, I hope that Kemper Amps has the foresight to add an output on the Kabinet so you can daisy chain more at least two.

• If that's the case, I hope that Kemper Amps has the foresight to add an output on the Kabinet so you can daisy chain more at least two.

If Kemper doesn't, you could always build your own cab with two drivers when they become available.

I'm hoping that whenever this does come out, it has enough bandwidth to allow for full use of a 5-string bass in standard or 1/2-step down tuning. My gut says that I'm dreaming for that type of frequency response in a 12" speaker, but one can dream.

Add a sub to the Kemper Kone. The low frequencies below what a standard 12 inch driver will produce probably won't take advantage of the modeling technology from the Kemper anyway.

Jeff

I'm thinking that low Bb has no chance with a single 12" speaker. Maybe a 4 x 18"? ?

• Nah you dont need 4x12 for Bb, just a single 18 inch with a large enough cab will do. Something professional like RCF TTS-18a... 60 kilos including wheels, but goes where no bass combo has gone before :)

Suspecting Kemper Kabinet wont go there, 95% of the users want to plat guitar and go as compact as possible,...

• If Kemper doesn't, you could always build your own cab with two drivers when they become available.

Add a sub to the Kemper Kone. The low frequencies below what a standard 12 inch driver will produce probably won't take advantage of the modeling technology from the Kemper anyway.

But... they really should! The Kemper power amp puts out 600 watts, two 300 watt Kabinets would do the trick.

Keeping my fingers crossed, and hoping for a good price!

• CK: "The speaker and passive cab will be available late summer with a powered version to be released at a later date"

Kemper Forum: "There's an electrical outlet in the background of the picture, that must mean the powered version will be released first!!!"

:P

• CK: "The speaker and passive cab will be available late summer with a powered version to be released at a later date"

Kemper Forum: "There's an electrical outlet in the background of the picture, that must mean the powered version will be released first!!!"

In Germany, Europe and the entire northern hemisphere, autumn begins on 23 September 2019 at 09:50 Central European Summer Time. :/

Fender Am. Strat Standard | Fender Elite Standard | Ibanez AZ 2204 | Gibson Les Paul Standard | Suhr Standard Plus | Epiphone ES-335 Lim. Ed. |

Kemper Stage | Kemper Kone | Line6 HX Stomp | Strymon Sunset | Line 6 Relay G30 |

LD Systems U500 InEar | Behringer X32 Compact

SKEEN - Join The Revolution In Screen Protection

Except that the picture seems to imply that the Stage is running straight into the Kone. I'm still thinking early next year will be optimistic for the Kone. Not because of the speaker hardware, but because of the software changes required.