Profiler OS6 Operating System

• 'Forward thinker'?

I love the fact that most rig packs that focus on a single amp contain lots of clips with differing gain levels - and channel/switching options. Your idea is genius (stay with that a bit longer) but I'm not sure how it would be achieved so it would work faithfully with every possible amp/speaker cab/microphone combination and the numerous variations possible based on recording/profiling techniques.

You are right, so many variables but I would focus on just the amp, so effectively DI profiles. With Kemper Kone, the speaker is already separated as a profile so it makes sense to truely mimic the amp.

I'm happy with forward thinker and if Kemper want to offer me some consultancy in R+D..... :)

• You are right, so many variables but I would focus on just the amp, so effectively DI profiles. With Kemper Kone, the speaker is already separated as a profile so it makes sense to truely mimic the amp.

Not sure I'm going to be a fan of Kone. I've messed around a lot with IRs and other cabs that are embedded as parts of profiles - Britt's 2x12 by 3P and an old 1960 with a set of well worn Greenbacks from Top Jimi being two standouts. I've also tried a number of times to see if a DI profile with various cabs can be made to exceed the Studio version with the original profiled cab. Not been happy with the results in either case.

It's amazing how badly you can make some of the most revered amps in history sound with a miss-matched cab or microphone. Got sick of chasing the IR/cab rabbit and these days if a profile doesn't sound good as is it goes right into the 'out' box. Kone is not on my wish list at all.

I know others have had great results with this though so I'm probably in the minority.

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." - Douglas Adams

• I sort of agree although I'm lookignat it slightly differently.

I don;t want more variability but more accuracy. I see the Kemper kone ( software part) as being able to fully separate the speaker and amp profile. The more accurately each aspect is profiled, the better.

However, I will still rely on others to tell/suggest to me that a JCM800 ( for example) works best with greenbacks, rather than endless fiddling :)

Hope that makes sense, it did in my head :)

• I see the Kemper kone ( software part) as being able to fully separate the speaker and amp profile. The more accurately each aspect is profiled, the better.

Agree 100%. Not sure how the software currently does it, but I'm certain that lots of lines between the two are being blurred. Funny, you don't usually think about 'grey areas' when it comes to digital.

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." - Douglas Adams

• I don't think it's that complicated. The Kemper will know the frequency response of the kone. And then it will use that curve to modify the curve of the selected IR.

Resulting EQ curve = Greenback (example) - (linear - Kone response)

Something like that (probably got the details wrong but you get the idea)

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• Imo, that's genius and should be elevated above mere thought-level.

It's almost as if part of me wants to incline you to keep expressing that thought everywhere on the forums and on FB. It would be a huge leap, or possibly a feature for a future Kemper 2, but it's a simple yet genius idea that we should ensure is out there for the people that be.

One might consider the following: you can get an accurate profile of an amp with its controls (other than gain or volume) adjusted in a particular way. We see this all the time. So you have two profiles with the knobs in different settings, and both profiles are very good. Wonder if it would be possible to do this...

1) Program into the Kemper the number of tone knobs on the amp being profiled. Maybe create settings for Fender tweed, Fender silver face, Marshall NMV, etc. tone controls.

2) Set the tone knobs on the amp to 0. Make a profile.

3) Set the tone knobs on 10. Make another profile.

4) The Kemper could perform a profile merge to make the control range of its tone knobs to cover the span difference between the first and second profile.

This of course would require some software development, but might not require new hardware. It would give you tone control "modeling" much closer to the original amp then what is available in current profiles. There might not be a need to profile gain and volume knobs as the profiler does that now anyway. But again profiling an amp at different gain settings would be helpful to replicate say a Fender amp with the bright switch on (the bright boost reduces as the volume knob is turned up).

• That's kinda what I was suggesting but you've added the custom settings, so that's real genius! For example the "bright" switch is just a label which you profile on and off.

I think we all recognize that there are infinite variations with all these settings ( e.g. adding a bright swtich on and off instantly doubles the settings across the board) but at least with some selected profiles (an amp might need say 10 profiles at different settings) it will be more accurate throughout the ranges.

• To what level of accuracy would we want? Kemper have made a habit of doing it properly or not at all and in my experience, amp controls interact with each other. How many people would then criticise Kemper for not behaving like the real amp at all. So to do it right you need to profile with -

Low Gain

• bass 0, mid 0, treble 0
    • bass 10, mid 0, treble 0
    • bass 10, mid 10, treble 0
    • bass 10, mid 10, treble 10
    • bass 0, mid 10, treble 0
    • bass 0, mid 10, treble 10
    • bass 0, mid 0, treble 10

High Gain

• bass 0, mid 0, treble 0
    • bass 10, mid 0, treble 0
    • bass 10, mid 10, treble 0
    • bass 10, mid 10, treble 10
    • bass 0, mid 10, treble 0
    • bass 0, mid 10, treble 10
    • bass 0, mid 0, treble 10

With those 14 profiles, it might be enough for some of us to consider that it now behaves like the real amp but I suggest that it won't completely capture the way the controls interact with each other as they're only captured at minimum and maximum values. And Kemper would only be able to claim that it closely approximates the amp at various settings. Is that enough for the bigger market or will it be viewed as a half-baked failure? That's definitely the Line 6 approach and they've shown that they aim to get each control to mimic the real thing but I'm neither convinced it works or is beneficial.

• The idea of "multi layer profiles" is not new here or in the audio world (NEBULA example: https://www.acustica-audio.com/store/t/nebula).

Some years ago I was asking about the same thing ;)

But I like this idea . I'm afraid this would require a whole new level of DSP algorithm to interpolate between profiled states.

• You missed:

• bass 10, mid 0, treble 10

Its a lot worse than that. I’m fairly sure that because of the way TMB sone stacks interact in a non linear fashion you would need at least

Etc

Etc

Etc

I can’t work out how manyprofiles you would need to allow them morph smoothly but my guess is it’s nearer 100 than 14.

• The idea of "multi layer profiles" is not new here or in the audio world (NEBULA example: https://www.acustica-audio.com/store/t/nebula).

Some years ago I was asking about the same thing ;)

But I like this idea . I'm afraid this would require a whole new level of DSP algorithm to interpolate between profiled states.

It all sounds a bit overly complicated to me and borders on modelling instead of profiling. The Kemper captures a single setup well and then you play that. You can switch to a different rig that gets the next sound and many commercial profile packs cover the whole range of an amp anyway.

This would most likely have to be a whole new product and a different approach with a lot more DSP, as you suggested.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

• It all sounds a bit overly complicated to me and borders on modelling instead of profiling. The Kemper captures a single setup well and then you play that. You can switch to a different rig that gets the next sound and many commercial profile packs cover the whole range of an amp anyway.

This would most likely have to be a whole new product and a different approach with a lot more DSP, as you suggested.

I like such idea but I don't need it so much. It is rather concept what can be done to GAIN or STACK EQ knobs behave like in the real amp.

Knowing life, such ideas were probably taken into account or at least considered. Perhaps this is how morphing was born.

Because if you take into account this function, you can try to simulate the change of the the EQ setting depending on gain.

• I just think there is something in between...so not profiling every parameter to get an exact copy but some of the range to get a better representation.

Personally I don't tweak profiles that much but its why there are so many profiles at different settings....

Anyway... one for Kemepr to think about as only they know if its even viable...

• Did this thread fall silent - no news at all? ;)

8 pages in results in the same thing as beating a dead horse information wise. I'm sure once summer gets closer we will hear more.

If you use FRFR the benefit of a merged profile is that the cabinet is totally separated in the profile.

For my edification only... ;) Kemper/Axe-FX III/ Quad Cortex user

• That’s worrying ?

I love n Scotland, we don’t have summers just occasional periods of less rain and wind ?

Surely you managed 15 degrees and a little sun with the epic summer of 2018 in the UK?

From everything we heard about the release and what usually happens, September is more realistic for OS6. I still haven't downloaded the reverb update because of gigs.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

• What i find really annoying is the next thing :

you load a profile which has a reverb effect on it .
    you want to change the reverb so you push the reverb button.
    U then turn the browse button. But instead of starting in the browse library with let say spring reverb for example tha came with the profile.

its start with green scream ( if u added this before in this rig) . So i have to brows alll te way to the reverb...:rolleyes:
    Quite annoying and eventually time consuming.

Am i doing something wrong ? or why has this been the default???

• Your answer lies at the end of this video:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

(Imo Kemper should have designed the menu’s like that right from the start ...)