Apart from the player, good sound =50/50 Guitar/Kemper

• Ok I got your point, the overall result . Well that's cool. My point was also to help those listening to commercial rigs... thinking : wow I wanna buy that sound. But LOOK AT THE SUHR GUITAR HE GOT ON THE DEMO THAT WORTH 3000$ and dont be suprised if you buy this Kemper rig it and sounds different and less exciting. Dont be suprised if you dont sound that good with your unadjusted 250$ cheap guitar. It's not a sample bank that you bought that sounds the same on every keyboard ... ;)

• LOl thanks You guys made me realise I need to be more precise so I changed my title to : Apart from the player, good sound =50/50 Guitar/Kemper ;)

I'm so sorry Dennis but I don't agree still...I think the guitar is actually quite a small part, given the quality of even cheap guitars these days..

Let's be honest, everything in the whole chain can affect it, it depends how bad. I doubt many people can detect the difference between a George L cable and Planet Waves one because they are both good. But put in an ultra cheap cable that crackles, of course you will.

The guitar in my Avatar is a £250 Epiphone, albeit a Korean one....Very few people would notice the difference between that and a Gibbo, sound wise..

Law of diminishing returns..

Promise I'll shut up now because I think your general point about expecting cheap equipment to sound as good as good quality stuff is true..

• Well it's important to get the point of view of everyone here, sp please dont shut up. It's interesting to read different ideas, it help to improve and get a larger view... I don't pretend to be right (may be 50% as we talk about percentage LOL )

• When I read this...

I bet if I handed EVH my son's (now unused) 3/4 scale little Squire strat, he would sound like himself even on that.

Nuno Bettencourt actually proved this..

I immediately ran upstairs to check in the room with the unused gear if Nuno was still there. He was not and now I blame you. I was totally going to jam with him - him on the 3/4 guitar sounding like EVH or himself and me on the bass.^^

• Ok I got your point, the overall result . Well that's cool. My point was also to help those listening to commercial rigs... thinking : wow I wanna buy that sound. But LOOK AT THE SUHR GUITAR HE GOT ON THE DEMO THAT WORTH 3000$ and dont be suprised if you buy this Kemper rig it and sounds different and less exciting. Dont be suprised if you dont sound that good with your unadjusted 250$ cheap guitar. It's not a sample bank that you bought that sounds the same on every keyboard ... ;)

Dennis I think we are all N agreement about the general point and are just debating the subtleties round the edges.

I hear what you are saying about the $3,000 Suhr etc but in my opinion that is significantly less important than the player. If we use the example of a well known profiler who regularly uses expensice Suhr’s in his demos ;) his rigs NEVER sound even vaguely similar when I play them. Even using some very posh PRS or my old Levinson Blade R4 etc. Why? He playes with a very light touch and lots of subtlety. I play with a Jazz iii pick and a right hand that would make Chris’ stampeding Rhinos seem like Angelina Ballerina :D. The Kemper behaves like a valve amp and is very sensitive to pick attack. Profiles that he makes sound nice and clean come out as pretty crunhy when I play. Also (and for me this is one of the BIGGEST things that people miss) he rides the volume knob on his Suhr to control the volume and tone. Most people plug straight in woth guotar volume on 10 and wonder why it sounds different.

Both of these come under the category of player rather than gear in my mind.

• Also I wanna make the point that when you buy rigs it will sound different than the demo , coz your guitars are different

EVEN IF YOU'D GET THE SAME MUSICIAN PLAYING THE SAME RIFF

it will sound different with your guitar. Rigs are not sample bank for keyboard

• More the guitar more than 50%. A good guitar still sound good through a meh amp. But a bad guitar thru good amp sound like bad guitar thru amp. even if the amp color the tone is like lipstick on a pig.

• More the guitar more than 50%. A good guitar still sound good through a meh amp. But a bad guitar thru good amp sound like bad guitar thru amp. even if the amp color the tone is like lipstick on a pig.

From my experience, a great amp (including the Kemper) will offer the potential for any guitar to sound its best. Whether a particular player likes that particular guitar sound or not is another matter. There are some players that make extraordinary music with essentially student-level (or less) guitars.

For me, lesser amps (and, especially, lesser digital amps) tend to make guitars all sound more similar to each other - at the extreme, they offer sterile cleans, and/or muddy or buzzy gain sounds.