String longevity in its package

• How long would you expect a pack of foil sealed strings to last?

A couple years back I got loads of packs of Ernie Ball Cobalt strings that were on offer. They were in foil bags and I thought they'd be good for a long time. i've still got a few bags, but the last I opened today was pitted with, what I guess is rust? They've been kept in reasonable ( for the the U.K.) conditions.

Thought it might be interesting to tap into the wealth of knowledge around here and ask for opinions on how long to expect a pack of strings to last.

• I'm not familiar with how EB packs their strings, but I believe D'Addario has some type of chemical in their packs which prevents rusting. I've never had a problem with those.

OTOH, I special ordered a case of Dean Markley Carl Verheyen strings. They were in plastic packs with each string in a traditional paper wrapper. EVERY LAST STRING in all of the packs was rusted. I was livid.

Maybe "cobalt" strings are prone to rusting(?)

Humidity is not a good environment for strings, that's for sure.

I would try to use a strings like D'Addarios within 2 years of manufacture. Traditionally wrapped strings I would try to use within a year's time.

Others might have their experiences to offer.

The key to everything is patience.
    You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.
    -- Arnold H. Glasow

If it doesn't produce results, don't do it.

-- Me

• Could it be that you've got a "monday product" ?

This has never happened to me before in an uninjured pack.

In my rather "natural" order it also came to decades of long separations. ;)

• same issue with ebs. Opened up the remaining 6 packs I had.... all rusted. Put me right off ebs. Although it could have been a batch quality problem or even just someone selling product which was destined for scrapping ??