Dave Friedman’s view of kemper.....

• Hi Mr ckemper , I did as you asked and used no plugins while profiling, did not even EQ.

Here are a couple of clips I did after profiling my Soldano Avenger 50, just some light crunch.

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I first recorded a DI and then ran that same DI through the Kemper, so there's no difference in the playing.

However, I am noticing a difference in the profile, I think you'll hear it too. Listen to the sustain and note decay in particular.

There's no EQ in the signal chain or anything, yet there's just a slight difference in the sparkle (imo).

Can you tell me what might be going wrong?

PS: Here is a link to the wav files, since Soundcloud seems to be degrading the audio quality.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Atdm73PRLCgmuFdEzWHV2bl_NBiS?e=4XGMmI

• The KPA is indistinguishable from its source a lot or really most of the time. That doesn't negate examples where users aren't satisfied with their results, but jeez, attempting to reverse-engineer those users' particular gear and processes is an imperfect challenge at best. Kudos for CK's open attitude about at least trying.

Of course that great attitude doesn't invalidate the value of a new, improved, simple to follow step by step instructional video for owners (and prospective owners) of all experience levels. So many aspects of this device are wildly simpler to exploit in practice than they are to research and learn, due to arcane, convoluted documentation. Sorry, but it's true. Hey it's great that the device is so much simpler to use than the manual is to understand, but that doesn't make it right. Still, I use the device for playing music 99% of the time I'm near it, but as with the eventual editor, there's always the potential for a deeper relationship with this thing, as new developments foster easier interaction with the device.

Meanwhile, to amp manufacturers who take issue with the Kemper . Their problem should be with the modeler designers, who purport to offer "functionally identical" simulations of generalized examples of guitar amplifiers, as opposed to the Kemper, which is actually designed to capture highly personal implementations of specific examples of these amps, usually combined in a signal path with products from several other manufacturers (boosts, drives, speakers, tubes, modifications, mics, etc.).

And sorry, in this day and age even if it's not digital, most musicians playing-out will opt for lighter, cheaper clean platform amps with a few modest pedals to achieve Marshall, Dumble, etc, versus the heavy, expensive boutique amps. I saw Mike Landau the other day using a $1000 amp with a modest pedal board absolutely killing it.

At least Kemper, as an archive or whatever, keeps alive the relevance of the real-deal amps, even if those amps aren't making it to the stage as often. Sure, I'd feel threatened by the Kemper if I were a builder, but as a Kemper user, of course I root for the survival and good maintenance of vintage amps and the development of new interpretations of the tube/analog classics. The Kemper will always be (potentially) more up-to-date and (potentially) more unique from one unit to the next than any modeler ever could be.

ymmv

Yikes, sorry for this novel.

• If he really feels that way why make a powered speaker for such devices?

500W Active Modeler/Profiler Monitor;The Friedman ASM-12 powered monitor was designed and voiced for use with today’s guitar amp modelers and profilers including Fractal Audio Axe-Fx, Kemper Profiler, Line 6 HD Series and others. The ASM-12 delivers rich authentic tones, allowing you get the most out of these systems in live use and playback applications

Great ears, but he copied Marshall?Soldano etc with his twist and with names like Pick Taco, Hairy Brown Eye, Dirty Shirley etc... seems maturity level is stuck at age 14 - Just sayin.

"More Guitar in the Monitors" :thumbup:

• If he really feels that way why make a powered speaker for such devices?

Great ears, but he copied Marshall?Soldano etc with his twist and with names like Pick Taco, Hairy Brown Eye, Dirty Shirley etc... seems maturity level is stuck at age 14 - Just sayin.

Yup. Wouldn't he be the first guy to come to mind for guitar industry "me too" allegations??

• Yup. Wouldn't he be the first guy to come to mind for guitar industry "me too" allegations??

Well didn't Jim Marshall copy fender ybassman in the beginning? Also the naming is still a lot better than ,"swollen pickle," or "way huge". When you play a Friedman, you will forgive the naming thing because his amps are really special. Check one out and you will know why he is who he is in the world of rock amps

• Well didn't Jim Marshall copy fender ybassman in the beginning? Also the naming is still a lot better than ,"swollen pickle," or "way huge". When you play a Friedman, you will forgive the naming thing because his amps are really special. Check one out and you will know why he is who he is in the world of rock amps

I sold my Dirty Shirley for the KPA. Don’t miss it.

• Well didn't Jim Marshall copy fender ybassman in the beginning? Also the naming is still a lot better than ,"swollen pickle," or "way huge". When you play a Friedman, you will forgive the naming thing because his amps are really special. Check one out and you will know why he is who he is in the world of rock amps

Pete Townshend brought his Fender Bassman into Marshall's guitar shop in the early 1960s and asked them if they could build him an amp that sounded like the Bassman, only louder. So yes, the first Marshalls were based on a Fender circuit, but Jim Marshall probably would have never even considered entering the manufacturing business if Townshend hadn't put him up to building that first amp.

• Just thought I'd bump this thread with an original Friedman amp. One of a kind, he certainly knows his stuff.

External Content www.youtube.com

• Had a Dirty Shirley. The bass was uncontrollable. All over the place. So much flubb they made a film about it and called it Flubber.

Sold it. Much happier with my Carol Ann Tucana :)

• I own one Friedman product. I think he is one great amp designer, and as such I respect his opinion when it comes to amp design.

So if I ever get a Synergy modular preampp, I plan on buying a few of the modules he has designed.

I also get where his comments in his video in the first post in this thread are coming from.

My one current Friedman product is a UAD Unison plugin amp simulation of the Dirty Shirley and BE-100 amps. I guess he likes digital when he gets paid a royalty.

As for 'piracy', I could not disagree more. I used to work for Kodak. Remember them? They sold analog film and the cameras that you had to buy to make pretty pictures. Now they are gone because digital technology made film obsolete. Are digital camera manufacturers committing piracy too?

The Kemper is often refereed to as taking a 'snapshot' of the sound of an amp. How ironic is that?

• My one current Friedman product is a UAD Unison plugin amp simulation of the Dirty Shirley and BE-100 amps. I guess he likes digital when he gets paid a royalty.

Of course, as if that should be a surprise. He did have a hand in conveying his amps sound through UA, unlike 3rd party Kemper profiles. You can understand why his attitudes might be different.

As for 'piracy', I could not disagree more. I used to work for Kodak. Remember them? They sold analog film and the cameras that you had to buy to make pretty pictures. Now they are gone because digital technology made film obsolete. Are digital camera manufacturers committing piracy too?

Compared to relative examples, this might be among the least to make sense for a number of reasons.

• This analogy does not work. The Kemper takes snapshots of another product. A Kodak digital camera doesn’t take pictures in the style of a Canon. Plus, those analog camera manufacturers are the ones making the digital ones too. There’s no irony here at all in relation to this.

I would say the irony lies with an amp manufacturer who makes clones of classic amps moaning about a product that clones an amp. ;)

• I would say the irony lies with an amp manufacturer who makes clones of classic amps moaning about a product that clones an amp.

I guess it depends what we consider "clones". Friedman doesn't hide his inspiration and from all accounts, the circuitry is pretty close (as is the case with damn near every other amp). His amps also have a ton more gain, controls, and especially low-mids than the classic Marshall's. To me, they're more like cousins.

• I guess it depends what we consider "clones". Friedman doesn't hide his inspiration and from all accounts, the circuitry is pretty close (as is the case with damn near every other amp). His amps also have a ton more gain, controls, and especially low-mids than the classic Marshall's. To me, they're more like cousins.

Sure. But look at the logo. The inspiration. It’s there, but they’re definitely hot rodded!

• Friedman took a Marshall, made a few tweaks, filed off the serial numbers and put his own logo on it. Not so much a clone as a kidnapping.

as is the case with damn near every other amp

Yeah, Marshall did it to Fender, Fender probably did it to someone else and on down the line.

Which is fine until you start whining about Kemper stealing your work, at which point the hypocrisy needle snaps off the dial (ironically inspiring yet another amplifier mod that someone will doubtless brand as their own).

Nonetheless, he's just a guy trying to make a living, so I get it. His modified Marshall, Friedman amps also sound awesome, so I'm definitely a fan.

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10