DSP error [Stable OS]

• I wonder if "dirty power" or "spikes/surges" is the culprit? Doubtful, but hey, never know? :/

Wow yes, I run it through shared power outlet! And that power outlet is remote controlled also.. Thanks for pointing that out.. I will follow the one-change-only rule to Chris, and then try it directly to the wall outlet afterwards.

But again, someone mentioned earlier that power inconsistency should not be an issue, as he was using something in between himself.

• That's a good point since he was having trouble with that. And if that's the case, there could certainly be damage to the unit.

I live up around the horses and cows (and the occasional coyote) north of Atlanta, and the power company here has a very casual relationship with quality. Last year a power spike took out my $3500 mixer and a couple of other items. There's only so much juice you can pump into a gizmo before it gets snippy about it.

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

• Wow yes, I run it through shared power outlet! And that power outlet is remote controlled also.. Thanks for pointing that out.. I will follow the one-change-only rule to Chris, and then try it directly to the wall outlet afterwards.

But again, someone mentioned earlier that power inconsistency should not be an issue, as he was using something in between himself.

Keem, wasn't it you who was having a hum / noise problem that we chased for a few days?

• No I don't have spikes or anything that can damage the unit. But I have this shared outlet shared with other stuff that can make "noise". I don't have issues with the power in the house or spikes.. But there sure are weak spots when sharing it with other electronics.

RE hum, no that wasn't me AFAIK :)

• RE hum, no that wasn't me AFAIK :)

Oops. My bad. :)

The other person had noise problems that we ultimately chased to bad power sharing stuff.

That said, that alone wouldn't be likely to cause DSP errors. If you had a bad power spike that scrambled the unit, like what happened to me, that's a different story. But if that happened, there would probably be more gizmos showing symptoms than just the Kemper.

• 5 pages reading , have your problems solved ? have you completely clean your kemper ?

*removed by mod*

i’ve encountered much error with latest beta too

DSP error , suddenly dropped sound when looper activate by midi controller , change reverb type

with that so many feature now on kemper ( good thing) would the current DSP can hold enough with all that stuff? i hope it’s only un efficient algorithm thing

• Chris Duncan morning here now. Kemper is still going strong. I now suspect it's the remote that I disconnected yesterday (that was previously always connected). That's the only logical explanation at this point. Gonna continue to test the kemper without the remote throughout this weekend and see.

• Chris Duncan morning here now. Kemper is still going strong. I now suspect it's the remote that I disconnected yesterday (that was previously always connected). That's the only logical explanation at this point. Gonna continue to test the kemper without the remote throughout this weekend and see.

It sounds like in this amount of time previously you would have already encountered the random problem. What I would do now is reconnect the remote ("one change only") and go at it for a while. If it doesn't reproduce, perhaps even doing the overnight test again, this time with the remote plugged in.

If you can get it to happen with the remote, and then get it to stop stop without it, that's a pretty decent data point to offer the Kemper folks.

Should this theory pan out, while the remote may or may not be the actual cause of the problem, it would at least be a trigger. Either way, it's useful stuff.

• Yep kemper was stable for good 24 hours now when remote was disconnected.. Gonna put the remote back in now when I go to bed.. Chris Duncan I'm just thinking out loud here: does the kpa require significant more power when remote is plugged in? So much so that the shared power outlet could not deliver? Guess I'm gonna see tomorrow.

Edit: there was also looper material in the memory during idle crash. Maybe having materials in the looper memory of the remote makes the kpa crash, even though its not used. Just food for thought

• Yep kemper was stable for good 24 hours now when remote was disconnected.. Gonna put the remote back in now when I go to bed.. Chris Duncan I'm just thinking out loud here: does the kpa require significant more power when remote is plugged in? So much so that the shared power outlet could not deliver? Guess I'm gonna see tomorrow.

Edit: there was also looper material in the memory during idle crash. Maybe having materials in the looper memory of the remote makes the kpa crash, even though its not used. Just food for thought

I don't know anything about the specs for power and the remote.

The looper sounds like another thing to test, but I'd confirm / eliminate the remote as a potential culprit before moving on to the next thing.

• It's now been five days with my KPA plugged directly in to the wall (no shared outlet, and no smart remote switch; https://www.clasohlson.com/uk/…Switch-Set-3-Pack/18-1255)... It has not been a single DSP error since I switched power outlet.. I am now beginning to gather solid data of where the point of failure actually was.. I feel like I'm 80% certain of this. I'll give it another week to be 100% sure. Hoping KP support will have this in their troubleshooting routine if other unfortunate users experience the same.

This brings me to think that maybe the beta OS is stable after all. Maybe DSP errors does not happen on the Beta OS because of buggy software, but because there is something that makes the KPA not get enough power. I hope that everyone that uses beta OS and experience DSP errors are also checking that their power source is good.

EDIT: It's actually really funny that the Remote was the the straw that broke the camel's back. Since it does not require a lot more juice..Just a teensy little bit extra.. KPA was stable without the Remote, but the Remote made it error all over the place. It was just a tiny bit too much for my smart remote shared outlet switch, so it seems.

Edited 2 times, last by keem85 ().

• It's now been five days with my KPA plugged directly in to the wall (no shared outlet, and no smart remote switch

Glad you're making progress. Have you tested with it plugged directly into the wall with the remote plugged in?

While it might be the combination of the two, it could also be one or the other, which would be useful for the Kemper guys to know.

• Glad you're making progress. Have you tested with it plugged directly into the wall with the remote plugged in?

While it might be the combination of the two, it could also be one or the other, which would be useful for the Kemper guys to know.

Yep I sent them an email with an update. Two first day stable alone, three days now with the Remote plugged in. So yes to both :)

• Yep I sent them an email with an update. Two first day stable alone, three days now with the Remote plugged in. So yes to both :)

Excellent testing, and I'm sure they appreciate it. More importantly, it sounds like you're on the path to just playing guitar and not having problems.

• FWIW,

I'm also running the latest stable releases of both RM and the Profiler OS on my unpowered rack model and got the "DSP Error" box to pop up while I was just scrolling through presets on my unit. It WAS plugged in with the USB cable to my Macbook and was powered through my Furman power conditioned plugged into the wall outlet. Eventually it reestablished comms and I was able to continue scrolling and noodling around. I didn't have time to debug it further and I haven't touched it since. I'll be sure to keep an eye on things the next time I get time to sit down and play.

Shred 'til yer dead,

Jeff in Houston