DSP error [Stable OS]

• UPDATE: Seems the shared power outlet was the problem. I'm still in the process of troubleshooting, but it has been stable for five days now. Solution on page 5.

My Kemper has crashed a few times since I got it. It updated to the latest public beta (also on stable) by itself the first time I connected it.. And when I used the looper, and I was about to record, the whole kemper froze. I had to take the power out of my Kemper.. And now when I was switching profiles, my monitors started screaming so loud I almost died and lose my hearing "DSP Error" it said. What is happening here?

EDIT: some facts
    -Issue happened on both beta and stable. On stable it just stopped output sound, but on beta it was this loud sound killing my whole neighborhood.

-Freezes only happened during Performance mode when switching between two of the patches, and also one time when applying looper.

-Crashes happened when switching patches on the Remote and also on the KPA alone.

-When it crashed on Stable KAOS, I was using Performance patches that was made with Beta OS.

-When I got my KPA last week, the power cable didn't work properly, unless I pushed it really hard in. Maybe a currency problem? Maybe cable got lose?

What have I done to remedy it?

-I created a support ticket, waiting for reply

-I (as said) reverted to stable OS (crashes still happened)

-I deleted all my performances and made new ones from stable OS (crashes have not happened yet)

-I tightened the power cable (crashes not happened yet)

-Reset to factory settings, wiped everything, still get DSP errors

Edited 6 times, last by keem85 ().

• I found a guide now. Gonna downgrade.. But to be clear, this concerns me deeply.. Imagine if this would happen in a concert.. everyone would be deaf within seconds.. It makes me really doubt this product. Throw errors and freeze at me all you want, but keep those high pitched sound out of it!!

• Ok I really need to understand what's happening. I downgraded now, worked fine for 15 minutes, and now input froze.. No input signal.. Again I have to turn kemper on and off.. My old patches was there still, but I don't know if that has anything to do with it. I was switching between delays, when it said poff and input stopped working again.... Anyone else?

• I bought it new directly from kemper store. I've had this bug since I got the unit, but it happened much yesterday and today than it had ever done before. And I made this forum post as soon as it started these annoying sounds.. And I thought to myself that I can never use a Kemper live. It's really my typical luck.. I've already reached out to support, I bet Peter from support will answer me tomorrow..

• Guys, I am beginning to suspect it's because I have two delays, one reverb, a stomp compressor at the same time. It crashes on the same patch, a patch I made for Sailing To Philadelphia, trying to replicate a pad-sound in the background, along with reverb freeze function.. I read in another forum post with another user on the very very same issue, and apparently it's a DSP overload... Which leads me to the next question: Why is such an expensive unit not capable of running several effects in a row? Is not that the whole point of the Kemper product line?

Here's the other forum post I found: Profiler crashes

Beware, it's a sour tone in that linked thread, but it's very informative none the less.

Edited once, last by keem85 ().

• Guys, I am beginning to suspect it's because I have two delays, one reverb, a stomp compressor at the same time. It crashes on the same patch, a patch I made for Sailing To Philadelphia, trying to replicate a pad-sound in the background, along with reverb freeze function.. I read in another forum post with another user on the very very same issue, and apparently it's a DSP overload... Which leads me to the next question: Why is such an expensive unit not capable of running several effects in a row? Is not that the whole point of the Kemper product line?

Here's the other forum post I found: Profiler crashes

Beware, it's a sour tone in that linked thread, but it's very informative none the less.

I have some patches with more FX going than you listed above so I doubt this is the culprit.

Please let support get back to you first.

• Yep. I sent them a ticket with details.. Tested for an hour now with deleted performance patches. Haven't had a crash yet.. So might be corrupt performance patches that caused it initially. Maybe I was just saving way too often. I had a habit of clicking store x3 times every time I did a tiny little change. It was the exact same patch that crashed both firmware.. I have my suspicion, but I'll hold on for support first.

• Might be DSP has maxed out, when I was creating some over the top ambient patches for fun a few months ago I ran into the KPA freezing and after a few seconds DSP error would appear on the screen, this would usually happen when activating the looper.

Did a search here and found a previous thread with similar problems, I think Burkhard stepped in and implied the DSP had most likely hit the limits.

Mind you it took some doing, parallel path, 4 delays, freeze function, reverb, e.ct.

New talent management advice to Laura Cox -

“Laura want to break the internet? let’s shoot another video of you covering the Nightrain solo in the blue singlet, but this time we’ll crank up the air conditioning”.

• Might be DSP has maxed out, when I was creating some over the top ambient patches for fun a few months ago I ran into the KPA freezing and after a few seconds DSP error would appear on the screen, this would usually happen when activating the looper.

Did a search here and found a previous thread with similar problems, I think Burkhard stepped in and implied the DSP had most likely hit the limits.

Mind you it took some doing, parallel path, 4 delays, freeze function, reverb, e.ct.

Thank you for this info. It's very similar to what I experienced, except I had far less delays and reverbhs.. However it did crash on the looper and between switching rigs.. My aforementioned constant saving can also be a reason to the corrupt profiles, profiles I made with the beta OS, but also crashed with stable OS.. I am no expert, but I can imagine all my button pressing and experiments lead to the corruption..

So, I made a ticket, made a backup and removed all of my performance rigs, starting from scratch. So we'll see what happens..

But since this DSP error is caused by excessive patches and so on, wouldn't it be troublesome for professionals to use Kemper in a live situation? To constantly have anxiety for it to freeze up during a show?.. I see that Kemper themselves have said to another user with the same problem that he could not use reverb, delay and looper at the same time, that he had to purchase a seperate looper for that purpose. I think for such an expensive equipment, this should not be an issue.

• This is why I reverted to the last full release after the latest verb beta v3 despite really giving it a shot. It hasn't happened since I reverted.

I'm happy with it the way it is anyway. The amp profiles are what I need most and the only part I can't get from my DAW or pedals.

• This is why I reverted to the last full release after the latest verb beta v3 despite really giving it a shot. It hasn't happened since I reverted.

I'm happy with it the way it is anyway. The amp profiles are what I need most and the only part I can't get from my DAW or pedals.

Thanks for sharing, but my issue is also when I reverted to the latest stable OS also. That's what really concerns me..

EDIT: I read somewhere that uneven current can also cause freezes.. I remember when I got my KPA last week, I plugged in the power cable, and nothing happened.. I then had to push the power cable really hard in to my KPA, and then it booted.. I'm just thinking out loud here.

Edited once, last by keem85 ().

• I bought a power conditioner soon after I got mine and always use it, so I don't think it's input power related.

I did the Init Globals after reverting, plus powered on with the Rig button held in to double check. I also manually deleted all of the beta reverb presets.

I hope you get a resolution. ?