DSP error [Stable OS]

• A lot of things can go wrong in a concert and not only a noise with the Kemper, Something you don't expect like... a musician that is late, a spotlight falling on your head (it happened to michael jackson after all) so if you think you are able to know in advance you're wrong!!! And the Kemper is not the only device that can make big noise on a concert I hear a lot of feedback and noise with others too. So the only thing to do is to hope for the best and be courageous , stand up and be strong

• I've had my Kemper for over 6 years, and it froze twice, 2 weeks ago . once where it just had that loud wave sound , so had to reset, and another time it just froze. Never ever before that, betas included

Hasn't since and I'm still on the beta, played live with it last weekend but I'm not an FX hungry used. an overdrive , EQ , a delay and reverb most of the times. Here's hoping to a stable release ASAP

• I read exactly what you wrote (before you edited it to remove the parts that point to the beta). The multiple delays and freeze function are only supported by the beta. So, the patch only works on the beta. Reverting back, and trying the same patch will cause issues. they are not bacward compatible.

I did not remove anything, I updated the OP description a long with my troubleshooting. and you only read the first post and not the rest. But yes, I have not had a single issue since removing "tainted" patches. I played 6 hours straight yesterday without a freeze.

A lot of things can go wrong in a concert and not only a noise with the Kemper, Something you don't expect like... a musician that is late, a spotlight falling on your head (it happened to michael jackson after all) so if you think you are able to know in advance you're wrong!!! And the Kemper is not the only device that can make big noise on a concert I hear a lot of feedback and noise with others too. So the only thing to do is to hope for the best and be courageous , stand up and be strong

While I do agree, I can't reproduce what it sounded like, but it was houndred times louder than any feedback issue I've ever heard.. I said that it "killed my whole neighborhood" with a hint of humor, but also to explain how extremely loud it was.. And I also had my monitors set to -18db, almost OFF, and the KPA master was set to -15db.. I can not imagine how it would have been if they were set to 0db on both.

(...)

*removed by mod*

Edited 3 times, last by keem85 ().

• Why was the step by step guide removed by mod? Do they have something against me or something? haha

It is obvious that it is an info that Kemper Support doesn't want to be used randomly, but only when they recommend it.

Oh, and don't think than anyone has something against you. And you don't have bad luck. Keep working on that.

• Hmmm. It seems that I have a hardware issue after all. After a complete reset, the DSP errors still appears randomly today this evening. Submitted a new ticket, let's hope it's something that can be fixed on-site.

• How often do they occur? Are you doing anything specific when they happen? Playing? Clicking remote or buttons on Kemper or just sitting there doing nothing and it happens?

• How often do they occur? Are you doing anything specific when they happen? Playing? Clicking remote or buttons on Kemper or just sitting there doing nothing and it happens?

Right now I did nothing. I was leaning towards my Mac to browse some stuff, and when leaned back to play, no sound.. After two minutes the DSP error message came up. And they occur randomly. No spesific tasks. Twice an hour, or once a day, no spesific timeframe.

• Oh no it was meant to be funny :) Didn't know factory reset was something to be kept from the public? That's always a good thing to have available for everyone

They must have their reasons. I just thought a completely reset device was a good idea after all of the beta back and forth I've done but there must be more to it than that. Maybe it deregisters your KPA or something and support need to update something on their side. I'll just log a support call if anything strange happens now that I'm not on a beta release.

• Hmmm. It seems that I have a hardware issue after all.

That's an assumption. What you have is an issue, to be sure. It remains to be seen exactly what kind of issue.

Right now I did nothing. I was leaning towards my Mac to browse some stuff, and when leaned back to play, no sound.. After two minutes the DSP error message came up. And they occur randomly. No spesific tasks. Twice an hour, or once a day, no spesific timeframe.

When contacting support (or just posting problems here for that matter), the single most important thing you can provide is what's known in the trade as "steps to reproduce."

A professional software QA person's routine is typically a) encounter a bug, b) fool around with the system until s/he can reproduce it each time from a well known starting point and a specific series of steps, and then c) report the bug, including the steps.

I can tell you from three decades in the biz that people who are able to give me that kind of feedback are my personal heroes. It makes it so much easier to find and reproduce the problem. If I can't do that, then I can't reproduce it in the debugger to figure it out. Equally important, once I (alledgedly) fix it, if I don't know for sure how to make the bug happen, I don't know if I really fixed it or not.

All of this is to encourage you to think like a professional tester when you run into trouble. It may be that you have a faulty unit, but it's also possible these are residual effects from having a beta installed on your system. If you can figure out how to reproduce it (which may take a little work on your part), then when you contact support either they'll be able to walk you through a solution or know for sure if it's hardware. And when it's related to a beta (even if it's no longer installed), you give the devs a fighting chance to find and fix the bug, which they very much want to do.

If you approach things in this manner, it helps people in their efforts to help you.

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

Edited 2 times, last by Chris Duncan ().

• I have allready provided them with plenty of scenarios where the crashes occurred. It's no residue of the beta now, since I've wiped clean everything and flashed the new OS with factory settings. The latest you quoted is actually very interesting that nothing was done at the time where it lost contact. I did not touch the strings on my guitar, my pedals or my KPA. And the crashes occurs randomly. So that in itself is a sign of something, and it eliminates all my suggestion to support earlier of that it might be a beta problem, patches problem yada yada. So as of right now all of those suggestion previously mentioned is out of the question. I think it's safe to say that we've tried pretty much everything up until this point?

• It's no residue of the beta now, since I've wiped clean everything and flashed the new OS with factory settings.

I don't have any experience with doing a factory reset. When this is done, does it wipe out all of your profiles / presets / effects / etc?

If it doesn't, and you have any remaining stuff that was created / updated while you were running the beta, that data could still be a source of trouble.

The latest you quoted is actually very interesting that nothing was done at the time where it lost contact.

Random stuff is the absolute worst to try and figure out. I don't doubt that it happened when you were doing nothing, but that doesn't help you find a solution. The trick is, can you find a reliable way to make it happen? That's the fooling around part I was talking about. If you experiment a bit until you encounter the problem, then follow a couple of hunches, you might be able to find a way to make it reliably happen, over and over again.

Even though it can clearly happen in a random fashion, if you can also find a way to reproduce it, the Kemper guys might be able to take that information and come to some conclusions. If all they have to go on is a completely random, unpredictable event, it's really hard to find a solution.

Just trying to find ways to help you get it sorted.

• Yeah! When you mention taking steps to reproduce Chris Duncan I have now disassembled the KPA Remote so that the KPA is alone. Nothing to "trigger" it if that makes sense. And since the crashes did not occur during any activity, I will leave the amp on when I go to bed now. We'll see if it crashes or not during the night.

EDIT: And to answer your question about residue, yes it wipes everything. Presets and all that.. Like wiping a phone dead clean :).

• Yeah! When you mention taking steps to reproduce Chris Duncan I have now disassembled the KPA Remote so that the KPA is alone. Nothing to "trigger" it if that makes sense. And since the crashes did not occur during any activity, I will leave the amp on when I go to bed now. We'll see if it crashes or not during the night.

EDIT: And to answer your question about residue, yes it wipes everything. Presets and all that.. Like wiping a phone dead clean :).

Yes! That's the kind of thinking I was talking about. The more you can simplify the test, the more possibilities it eliminates. Presumably you're leaving your guitar plugged in and everything exactly the way it was when it crashed except for disconnecting the remote.

Rule #1 of debugging: Always change one, and only one, thing at a time. Otherwise, you'll never know what it was that caused the problem / solution.