Best Dual-Kemper Setup? Which option is best?

• I'm considering buying a second Kemper for two reasons. First, to have as a backup just in case anything ever happens to my primary unit during a show. It's worked perfectly for 2-3 years now, but it's good to be prepared. Secondly, I think running two Kempers would create a monstrous guitar sound. This is strictly for live performance situations.

I'm trying to determine which would be the best way to hook both of them up to get the biggest sound out front (I'm the only guitarist in the band). I currently use a TC Mimic pedal to try to help create that "doubled" guitar sound out front, but it doesn't work as well as I'd like because one output from the Mimic is always a little louder than the other (I've verified this in my DAW). So here's what I'm considering:

OPTION 1:

Out of my wireless --> Into Kemper 1, and then out of Kemper 1 via the Direct Out (using Gtr Analogue) into the input of Kemper 2. This would be a simple setup, and I could use a different rig on each Kemper. But, I don't know if it'll really sound like a "doubled" guitar because other than the fact that I'd be using 2 different rigs, there will be no difference in the sound. Meaning, when you double a guitar track, the subtle differences in timing, volume, attack, etc., all help to make it sound thicker. That wouldn't happen in this case, right? Is there a way to do that in this setup? Secondly, if I used this setup and wanted to run the effects in stereo, using just two XLR cables, would I just use the XLR Left output of one and set the output to Stereo Left and the XLR Right output of the other Kemper and use Stereo Right? I know I could use 4 total cables and run them both in full stereo. Just wondering if it'd get the same effect using only 2 cables.

OPTION 2:

Out of my wireless --> Into my TC Mimic pedal --> and then out of the left output of the pedal into Kemper 1, and out of right output of the pedal into Kemper 2. This would take advantage of what the Mimic does so well (adding in the subtle differences in volume, attack, timing of the player). I'd run both Kempers in stereo (using 4 inputs on our board). Then, on whichever Kemper is a little lower in volume due to the TC Mimic issue I mentioned above, I could just bring that one up in the master output section so that both Kempers are sending the same volume to the board. This setup would be a little more complex than option #1, but unless I'm missing something, it'd result in me being able to simulate having 2 (or more) guitars coming out of each side of the PA. In addition, I could still have one Kemper run one rig, and the other Kemper run another. So it'd sound like 2 different guitarists, using 2 different amps on both sides of the PA. And assuming I'm using the same effects and settings on each rig, I'm assuming I can still use the effects in stereo if I wanted to, correct?

For what it's worth, I'd PREFER to be able to use option #1 and not need to use the Mimic. Because if I use it in option number 2, that'd mean it'd constantly be on (I'd want to leave it mounted in my rack). But again, I don't know if the option that doesn't include the Mimic will really simulate double tracked guitars.

In both cases, I'd be using the MIDI out of Kemper 1 into the MIDI In of Kemper 2, with U/I enabled so that I can control both Kempers with one Kemper Footswitch. I'd also have Constant Latency enabled on both Kempers.

Is there anything that I'm missing in the above setups? I don't THINK I'd have phasing issues, but I'm also not familiar enough with that type of stuff. Anything you guys would do differently?

• Hi my friend..

I opened a thread some days ago in the "share tips and tricks" section of this forum..it is called "let's talk using two KPAs".

This is not to pretend to "do it my way" I just think it would be a good idea to have one "big thread" for this issue (using two kempers) because I think there are quite some guys here with two and more KPAs.Lets share experience.;)

• It’s not smething I have done or have any desire to do but in theory Your option one should work.

The way to creat the subtle timing difference is to lock a delay on the second KPA with say 20ms (adjust to taste) and no feedback. Set this to 100% wet (ie no dry signal) and you now have two guitars running different sounds and a subtle timong difference.

• Not to hijack the thread but I think you should be able to dial in the Mimiq to not have this volume problem. The 'Dry' and 'Effect' knobs are in essence individual volume knobs if you send in stereo and select 1 dub.

We have one in the external effect loop (position X) with the Kemper with stereo return, the Kemper stereo output going to a mixer and don't see any volume difference between the two channels.

• Not to hijack the thread but I think you should be able to dial in the Mimiq to not have this volume problem. The 'Dry' and 'Effect' knobs are in essence individual volume knobs if you send in stereo and select 1 dub.

We have one in the external effect loop (position X) with the Kemper with stereo return, the Kemper stereo output going to a mixer and don't see any volume difference between the two channels.

That’s exactly how I have mine hooked up. There is a little volume difference. If you hook yours up and record into a DAW, you’ll see the difference. I’ve got both sides turned all the way up with the tightness set pretty tight (around 7-8:00). I’ve had two of these pedals and it’s a known issue with them. It only happens in the 2 & 3 settings. If you’re using it on setting number 1, which is just one guitar on each side, it doesn’t happen. But using setting number 1 doesn’t give the doubled guitar track sound.