Help please I need to sound a bit like ''Confortably Numb''

• I need to do a solo in the style of ''Confortably Numb'' (Gilmour)

Do you suggest a rig in RE (or a commercial rig) to sound close to that ...

I usually play jazz and clean sounds so I don't know how to achieve that

I tried but in one side I sound too heavy and distorted... or... too clean... I dont have that beautiful singing sustain... need your help as I don't usually play lead

Thanks a lot

• Try a combination of the Muffin stomp (Gilmout is famous for using a Big Muff) and heavy compression. He gets the grit and bite from the muff but a lot of the sustain is from compressors. The amp is usually a HiWatt which is a pretty clean amp with tons of punch but it does have a distinctive distortion when really cranked.

If I remember correctly there is actually a profile available of Gilmour’s own HiWatt somewhere. It might have been TAF or Andy44 (same guy I think) but I can’t remember.

• It's incredible how thos guy (Gilmour ) can play 3 notes and sound wonderfull. Looks like he really dig deeply into tone search and improvement. Of course he got tons of equipment and the ''money'' (no pun intended) to buy it ... He got great techniques but I am pretty sure that if we could try his equipment we would sound pretty close I mean 3 note and a bend and a vibrato at slow speed is not a miracle... we all can play his solos but he got his sound better than many of us for that style

• DennisJ wrote “ 3 note and a bend and a vibrato at slow speed is not a miracle... ”

There is a big difference between reproducing something that has already been done, and creating it in the first place. ;)

It's not my point , I respect the composer but again his tone is incredibly good , it's easy to play 3 notes, to get a decent vibratp, a good bending technique, just like him but yet we won't sound like him coz the TONE and equipement is fine tuned with a lot of experience and money and refinement.... In other words I can play the damn tune as well as him but i wont sound like him , and in that case it,s not the fingers... I mean he plays 3 notes slowly and it sounds super... its the tuning of the equipement and you wont make me believe it.s all in the finger no way.... he had special pickup made for him especially and even the big muff were improved especially for him... I mean this guy had engineer and tech working for him... not me and probably not you !!!! I hope I am clear this time

• Understood - you respect the composer :)

If you play it enough like him, with a similar sounding guitar, you will be able to use the Kemper to sound very much like the recordings. If you have trouble getting the same kind of sustain, it will become easier if you play louder (and/or have the speaker close enough to you) for the guitar pickup to interact with the speaker.

• It's not my point , I respect the composer but again his tone is incredibly good , it's easy to play 3 notes, to get a decent vibratp, a good bending technique, just like him but yet we won't sound like him coz the TONE and equipement is fine tuned with a lot of experience and money and refinement.... In other words I can play the damn tune as well as him but i wont sound like him , and in that case it,s not the fingers... I mean he plays 3 notes slowly and it sounds super... its the tuning of the equipement and you wont make me believe it.s all in the finger no way.... he had special pickup made for him especially and even the big muff were improved especially for him... I mean this guy had engineer and tech working for him... not me and probably not you !!!! I hope I am clear this time

I’m afraid well over 50%is in the fingers and the way he plays it, even withhis rig you and I would not sou d like David Gilmour because we aren’t him.