EQ Profiling

• imagine this you profile the amp and then a full frequency multisine signal gets through the amp and a diaglog sais "Turn up and down the bass knob" ... and this for all eq knobs of your amp

the kempen then has to match q gain and so on aaaand then you would have the eq of the amp!

either this way or

the enigneers take the most important eq controls and put it into a dropdown menu in the eq section ... i think this would be amazing , what do you think

• I actually like the fact that the Kemper has a simple effective and consistent EQ rather than the vagie interactive controls on a typical TMB (FMV) style valve amp where turning one knob changes the effec of others.

Wanted to write the same :thumbup: That's how I see it now, after I get used to how Kemper works.

• Don get me wrong i like the kemper eq very much but either you use it on the pre setting to make it more natural or it sounds more like a studio eq ... and there are some eqs i totally love like the eq of the rectifier, the ac30 and the laneY vh100 ... they just work how i would expect it so this would be just amazing ... also the amps eq changes also how the amp reacts. Putting it in the pre position mimcs that a bit but yeah ... i hope you get what i mean ...

I also like the idea of a customizable main eq just so that the main eq works as expected

• I know what you mean Thoma and I thought the same way for a little while then talked myself back out of it again.

The standard TMB tone stack is a tone AND gain control so changing the tone controls affects the tone and the distortion characteristics to a certain extent regardless of where it is in the signal path. The effect is more extreme on amps like the Mesa Mark Series where the tone stack is before the gain stages but it is still true in post gain stage amps like the Rectifier, Fender and Marshalls.

It is interesting that you mention the Rectifier as a good example of a tone stack that just works as expected as it is a pretty strange beast. It has tons of bass and a scooped mid with the presence and treble working in very similar ranges in some of the modes. It is a really common complaint that bass is too loose and flubby and that the high end is fizzy. I have never noticed either of these with my Rectifier but the internet is full of people moaning about this - probably because they set the tone controls with their eyes instead of their ears.

I also like the idea of a customizable main eq just so that the main eq works as expected

This is also subjective. To my mind the eq works as expected just now unless you are already very familiar with the individual real amps. I just mean that each amp acts differently, so if you know the amp well, the Kemper will feel strange. However, if you don't know the real amp well you will need to learn it's idiosyncratic ways before being able to tweak it to taste; the same would be true of a profile that mimicked the real amp tone stack.

The Mesa Facebook group is hilarious with the number of people talking about how to dial tones and how hard it is to find tones until you do X (insert the most weird unintuitive idea of your choice).

On the other hand the eq on the Kemper works exactly as expected every time unless you are familiar with the real amp.

That is a difficult tightrope for Kemper to walk. On the one hand people who know the real amp want the profile to behave just like the amp while others, who don't know the real amp are better served by a simple standardised eq.

Although I originally bought the Kemper to be able to profile my own Boogies and have Dual Rectifier and Mark series amps in one box, I have now discovered that I really like JMP series Marshalls and JTM45s. I also love Dumbles, Soldanos, Vox AC30's and Matchless etc. I have never owned any of them so I don't know how their EQs respond compared to my Boogies.
    Making the EQ behave like the real amps would take the Kemper closer to modelling which would be great for those who love to tweak settings but less user friendly for folk like me who bought the Kemper because it's plug'n'play philosophy doesn't need as much tweaking as the other modelling options I considered.

That's just the way I see it today. Obviously others opinions are no less valid. Maybe if an option to make tone stacks react just like the real amps came along I would try it and change my mind.

• Yeah i know what you mean, but right now when i profile i often find myself in making many profiles of all kinds of settings

and that takes forever so by including. a more flexible eq that also reacts more like a eq in an amp that would safe time imo.

Again it's not that the eq right now is bad, i just want to safe time and get more flexible profiles do you know what i mean ?